What's the deal with Chinese characters?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have noticed on FW and many other sites that when I have a very slow data conection and the pages are loading slow, that some Chinese characters come up first and then are replaced by regular symbols or English words.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I sometimes see boxes with characters in them, they're often so small I can't tell what is in the box but it looks somewhat 'chinese' to me.  If this is what you're talking about I'm pretty sure it's a font issue.

Tried to find a picture of what I mean but can't find any.

Send us a picture of what you're seeing if it's easy enough...

Like these?  ➕ ➕ ❳ ❳ ❳

Yep, those are the ones I was thinking of.  Sometimes I see numbers (and I think it's always a 4x4 grid, but can't be certain), and other times I see some unrecognizable character(s).

Nope, like this:

漢字

汉字

Okay, this is odd... Last night when I typed my reply to v999, the characters looked like boxes with a 4x4 grid of numbers in each.  Now they look like two plus signs and three close parentheses.

Given that V999 didn't edit his post, how did they change from then to now?

I think it has to use with the character set (charset) the site uses, and what the browser is assuming the charset is. It's possible the browser is assuming one charset, and showing the characters associated with that charset, until the page fully loads and the website itself declares that its using a different charset.

For example, from what I can see, fatwallet defaults to the iso-8859-1 charset, while many many sites now use UTF-8:
http://validator.w3.org/i18n-checker/

Sometimes it might be an issue with the webbrowser, but since it seems to "fix itself" once the page fully loads, I don't think the charset is set incorrectly in the browser, but it just a temporary charset conflict while loading.
https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/dwXd1qAy1v...

Is this happening on mobile or the full site? Is it when only viewing on a mobile device?

MVP9596 said:   Is this happening on mobile or the full site? Is it when only viewing on a mobile device?

It doesn't seem to make a difference. Data speed is the difference. That just means if a page loads slow enough, I see the Chinese logograms "before" they are replaced by letters/words/symbols. For instance, if I'm on a slow connection, the 3 bar menu symbol on the top left of this page first comes up as a Chinese logogram and then as the page fills in becomes the 3 bar symbol. This happens on lots of sites, not just FW.

FMB1 said:   
MVP9596 said:   Is this happening on mobile or the full site? Is it when only viewing on a mobile device?

It doesn't seem to make a difference. Data speed is the difference. That just means if a page loads slow enough, I see the Chinese logograms "before" they are replaced by letters/words/symbols. For instance, if I'm on a slow connection, the 3 bar menu symbol on the top left of this page first comes up as a Chinese logogram and then as the page fills in becomes the 3 bar symbol. This happens on lots of sites, not just FW.

If you're seeing the menu button, you must be viewing the mobile version.  But if it's not just on FW, then it's probably not something weird we're doing.  I'll ask around though to make sure.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017