GPS Navigation on 2G

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Hello folks,

Not sure where to put this topic but I guess this is just as good a place as any.

Anyone have any experience running GPS navigation, such as Apple and Google maps, on 2G connections?  I'm asking just in case I happen to use up all my full speed data and still have to use the app for navigation afterwords.  Coverage will still be great, but I will just be stuck with the throttling.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What app are you going to use? On Google Maps, you can cache a location, so it doesn't have to draw data to do navigation. You could cache the location while on wifi before starting your trip.
https://support.google.com/maps/answer/6291838?co=GENIE.Platform...

2g on GPS? That's not going to work well. I've done 3g and it's slow.

Get a Garmin, or cache your data ahead of time.

That's why I asked: to learn from everyone. Anyway, I have an CarPlay system was interested in using the navigation system on there, but it draws through Apple Maps. That's why I asked. I actually do have a stand alone Garmin GPS app with the fully downloaded maps on them and after reading this, it seems I should just stick with that. Haha

There are also standalone apps for phones where you download the map and don't need data. I travel a lot in areas where I get no signal or bad data conntection, used HERE Maps for that and added MAPS.ME recently.

RushnRockt said:   There are also standalone apps for phones where you download the map and don't need data. I travel a lot in areas where I get no signal or bad data connection, used HERE Maps for that and added MAPS.ME recently.

Right. I have the Garmin app which is standalone (a MASSIVE 1.7GB on my phone) and it's worked well, but doesn't interface with CarPlay.  But based on what I've read, I'll stick with my Garmin.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017