• Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This weekend I noticed that my PC at work rebooted.

I logged in and started up and noticed that the start menu went back to default.  Not worried, I went to start Classic Shell and found it had been forcibly uninstalled by Microsoft.
Oh dear, so Microsoft is now uninstalling programs it deems 'not worthy' eh?

wow

Edit : Turns out I had a version of CS that Windows 10 uninstalls automatically.  Updating to the new one fixed that.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Didn't uninstall mine. And I'm current.

I think your conclusion is unjustified

Part of the update to new revisions of 10 is a compatibility check. Maybe you had an outdated version of Classic Shell? You said this was at work? Any chance someone updated a GPO applied to 10 which could have caused Classic Shell to be removed?

minidrag said:   Part of the update to new revisions of 10 is a compatibility check. Maybe you had an outdated version of Classic Shell? You said this was at work? Any chance someone updated a GPO applied to 10 which could have caused Classic Shell to be removed?
You are talking to the guy who would've done that

Nope, this is my personal computer that is not part of the Windows Server.

I suspect it did a Classic Shell compatibility Check, however Classic Shell does that itself quite frequently I believe. (I remember when they were asked by M$ to change their logo because it looked like Windows).

Is there a log somewhere that shows this?  I didn't google that yet.  I just went 'WTF' and installed and went my merry way.

I think, even with auto updates, the log is kept in the same place as shown in this link:
https://blogs.technet.microsoft.com/askcore/2016/01/21/using-the...

Windows did do it.
Disclaimer
Ah Ha!!!!! My home computer rebooted and lookie at what I saw for a few seconds. You were right Minidrag, it was because of an old version.

Two employees with very similar setups... Both upgraded to Anniversary today (crap, mine is scheduled to as well and I didn't prepare)...

Anyways:
Employee # 1 had about 10 important apps disappear. Took half a day to get everything back installed and in order. Preferences and other things are lost.
Employee # 2's apps stayed intact (the same apps)

Windows 10 has been a nightmare for me... Some computers are perfectly fine, some are not. Never had these problems on Windows 7, though.

I've been reading a lot of odd stuff about the Anniversary Update, especially regarding PCs that are going through upgrades. It seems that clean installs are going much better.

FYI - one of the biggest issues I've been reading about is for people that had 10 Home and upgraded to Pro. After the Anniversary Update they lost the ability to logon to a domain. Local accounts worked.

In case you run into this, the fix appears to be to download the 10 media via the Media Creation Tool and run an in place upgrade. Though some people have reported having to just do a completely fresh install.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017