File extensions change during email - Yahoo Sm Business email

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
A colleague who has used Yahoo Small Business email for over a decade has recently started experiencing a problem when he forwards or sends .doc  or .docx files.   When the recipient receives the file, the file shows the correct .doc extension.  However, when the recipient downloads the file, it shows  "D file (.d)" as the file type.  The  file won't open automatically on the recipient's end in Microsoft Word automatically as it should.  Instead, the recipient receives a pop up window asking which program should be used to open the attachment.  If the recipient chooses Word, the file then opens correctly.    I tested this myself by having him send me a couple of emails with .doc attachments.  The problem occurred on my end exactly as he described.

He said it is also happening with .pdf files.  He said it happens when he sends from Yahoo Small Business email in both Chrome and Explorer so I am guessing it is a Yahoo corruption problem.  I suggested he change his password in Yahoo given all the recent publicity about Yahoo's hack.    Anyone have any recommendation on what might be causing the problem or  how he can fix this?  I use Yahoo Small Business email in my office and I'm not having the same problem when sending email with .doc attachments so it doesn't appear to be a system wide Yahoo issue

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What email systems have you tested, on the recipient end? You said it shows correctly when the email arrives, that the issue is only when you download. That makes it sound like it's not the sender, but the recipient.

minidrag said:   What email systems have you tested, on the recipient end? You said it shows correctly when the email arrives, that the issue is only when you download. That makes it sound like it's not the sender, but the recipient.
Thanks, minidrag, for responding.
Several recipients (different email systems) are having the same problem with his attachments.  He forwarded an email this morning that he sent to someone last night that had an excel .xls file attached.  The recipient returned it this morning saying she couldn't open it.  On her end, the file has a .xl extension.
To better clarify my explanation in the original post:  Upon opening his email, if I hover my cursory over the attachment I see the correct file name with the extension .doc.   But  when I hit download and the dialogue box opens confirming where I am going to save the attachment, the dialogue box will show the words I have bolded:  File name:  filename=0=(name of file, which is correct) and the Save as Type:  D file (.d)
After I save the file to my hard drive, and then try to open it, a dialogue box opens asking me which program I want to use to open a file with a .d extension.  If I choose Word, the file does open correctly.
The weird thing is that it seems to be happening to only some (not all) of his file attachments.

Sounds like the sender's computer has some kind of virus.
Have them send to themselves or to a gmail and see if they get the missing name attachment.

Thanks forbin4040 - he is going to try your suggestion.
I just noticed on Yahoo User forums that other Yahoo users are reporting similar problems, described here:   http://forums.yahoo.net/t5/Errors/Cant-download-attachments/m-p/101651 
I just hope it isn't some sort of virus that is spreading inasmuch as I opened his files in an effort to help him.  I ran Microsoft Security Essentials on my computer and Malwarebytes and fortunately they didn't detect a virus on my computer.

There is a Yahoo Small Business Email webpage for the log of technical problems (or whatever it's called) which describes the current problems with that system that their engineers are aware of and are working on.

I don't know the url of that webpage --
I stumbled across it some years ago when my somewhat-unusual Yahoo account
[not Yahoo Small Business, but a subscription service that used to be run by a different company that later sold out to Yahoo, and as a consequence my account is kind of screwy at the best of times]
was having strange problems, and I was trying to figure out what to do,
and by entering the search terms in a search engine I discovered that a lot of the Yahoo Small Business Email customers in the US were having the same problem, and there was a link for their technical-problems-log website,
which I kept open on my browser so I could track how their engineers were fixing the problem over the subsequent hours.
They got it fixed within half a day (for the Small Business accounts and for my account). The problem occurred again a few days later, but they fixed it again and it hasn't happened since.

---
I wonder if your friend compressed/zipped the files before attaching them to his emails, would that protect their file extensions, and they would be correct after the recipient uncompressed/unzipped the files?

Thanks, oppidum.  I forwarded your suggestion to him about zipping the file first as a workaround. After further testing (sending to his Gmail account and downloading the attachment from Gmail), he said the file name remains intact without any problem whatsoever.  So it seems it  must be a Yahoo problem that is corrupting the file name somewhere during the download process. He notified Yahoo Small Business support and was told they will look into it.

Yahoo was hacked this year & they are just doing something about it.

When I was a paying customer, Yahoo lost all the mail in a couple of my mail folders due to hardware failures on their end. When I asked them about it, it took them 3 months to respond. I asked them about backups, and they said they had none. That was the last time I paid for anything with the Yahoo! brand on it.

riznick said:   When I was a paying customer, Yahoo lost all the mail in a couple of my mail folders due to hardware failures on their end. When I asked them about it, it took them 3 months to respond. I asked them about backups, and they said they had none. That was the last time I paid for anything with the Yahoo! brand on it.
 I'll forward the post of your experience to my colleague.  It will scare the crap out of him.  Scares the crap out of me too since I also have been using Yahoo as a paid customer.

I have been a paying Yahoo customer for many years. It started when I had an account in a different country which was under another company, which then dumped all their email accounts/customers onto Yahoo.
Yahoo abandoned those customers in that country a couple of years ago -- they actually responded to an email I sent their support services when I was having a big problem with the Yahoo account, telling me that there is no Yahoo entity in the world which will provide me support, even just to answer a question, since my account originated in a different country where Yahoo later shut down their support services.
Even though I'm American and live in the US, and Yahoo is supposed to be international, and an internet account is quite ephemeral - not exactly a huge immovable physical structure like a dry-docked cruise ship or something like that, and even though they still make me pay the annual subscription cost to them just to keep my account's address. The problem is that that address (and the associated addresses that came with it) are so fundamental to my life and are the contact addresses that I've given for so many things/to so many people over the years that it would be really hard for me to recreate that by starting with a new email address, so I choose to pay the annual fee (which isn't that much) and just hope they don't screw up too badly.

Anyway, the above was to say that I am not happy at all with Yahoo's customer service or their customer relationship management/interaction --
but to give a counterexample on the specific complaint that was raised above, back before Yahoo closed their customer support for the country where my email account originated, there was a time when a lot of my emails went missing, and I reported the problem to them -- it took them about a week, but they got all of them back for me.
So I don't think it's as clear-cut as to say that Yahoo doesn't keep a copy of people's emails in case some are lost through Yahoo's error - they surely do keep backups.
If they didn't have a way to retrieve emails that their system had accidentally removed from people's accounts, I think there would be a lot more complaints out there.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017