Using an un-activated SIM to test signal strength

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I guess the title pretty much explains it.  I was considering switching over to Cricket and was curious if I can stick an un-activated SIM in my phone and still pick up the signal to test the strength?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Just go to Sensorly.com and select AT&T 4G LTE. That will show you how good Cricket is.

Will do.

forbin4040 said:   Just go to Sensorly.com and select AT&T 4G LTE. That will show you how good Cricket is.
  Depends on where you live apparently.  Very little info showing in my town, only on a few main roads, though I get good service throughout the county.

raceman73 said:   I guess the title pretty much explains it.  I was considering switching over to Cricket and was curious if I can stick an un-activated SIM in my phone and still pick up the signal to test the strength?
  If the phone is unlocked (or on AT&T) I would think it would, based on my sample size of 1.  Just plugged an old unactivated TMo SIM in my phone and it shows TMo as the provider plus the signal strength.  I'm currently with Consumer Cellular on an unlocked AT&T LG G3 FWIW.

Agreed. Very little info shows for me, so I'm gonna grab a few cheap SIMs and see what happens.

comprx said:   
forbin4040 said:   Just go to Sensorly.com and select AT&T 4G LTE. That will show you how good Cricket is.
  Depends on where you live apparently.  Very little info showing in my town, only on a few main roads, though I get good service throughout the county.

Well download the APP and contribute!

Well, I went and bought a Cricket SIM from Best Buy to test out the signal, but since I bought it from them, does that mean it became activated? Either way, when I put the SIM in my phone, the signal showed up in my phone just without the LTE on the top.

You can get free nano SIM cards for most providers at an Apple Store. Just walk and ask for one. The area maps might show you what's good for coverage, however, you won't necessarily know about signal penetration.

In my place, I barely get 2 Verizon LTE bars (used to be much better), but when I tried a Sprint SIM (used with RingPlus), I only get 3G. If I go outside, Verizon goes to 3 bars, and Sprint goes to 4 bars.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017