• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Looking for a good deal to subscribe to a good VPN.  What do you guys use?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Hidemyass and SlickVPN are ones I've used in the past.

rated:
Answer will vary wildly depending on why you need the VPN. Cost, performance, security, privacy, location and whether they do or do not cooperate with govt. or other entities all vary from one to another. What are you trying to accomplish with the VPN?

rated:
Tor browser, free.

rated:
handyguy said:   Tor browser, free.
  That's only for browsing, what about FTP, SSH, others you want to keep secret?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
handyguy said:   Tor browser, free.
  That's only for browsing, what about FTP, SSH, others you want to keep secret?

Tor browser can actually do FTP:
https://www.torproject.org/docs/faq#FTP

On Windows, you can use PuTTy to hook into the Tor browser proxy for SSH connections:
http://tor.stackexchange.com/a/143

Tor is slow though. It should be used if anonymity is paramount. However, if you just want to make sure that strangers aren't sniffing your traffic when connected to a public wifi connection, a commercial VPN would provide faster connections.

rated:
I read a little bit about Tor but my understanding is that is for .onion sites only. A proxy or VPN is needed for browsing regular website if one want to stay anonymous. Is that right?

rated:
ZenNUTS said:   I read a little bit about Tor but my understanding is that is for .onion sites only. A proxy or VPN is needed for browsing regular website if one want to stay anonymous. Is that right?

With Tor, you can view all of the internet via an anonymous connection. So a regular site would see you as connected from a random Tor exit node. 

Tor can also be used to anonymize a server, meaning the server is "hidden" inside the Tor network, which is what the .onion sites are. When you use Tor to connect to one of those, both you and the server are anonymous. 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016