• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Interesting article showing how easy it is to send an email (in 1984)

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Yes, I remember that.

Around that time :
it took about 1 hour to load the word processor from a cassette tape to my VIC-20.

[enough time to take our cat to be laid - at the end of her leash - in a "yuppie" neighborhood. Vet's order !!!
That's another story but it will always be linked in our mind to our introduction to P. C.]

Cassette tape... Nice.  I was just telling my son and his friend yesterday about how we used to load our games from cassette tapes.  I first had to explain to them what a cassette tape was!

They were using the xbox and wanted to play StarWars Battlefront.  They let the game install an update and it took a good 5 or 10 minutes. They kept whining about it.  I'm sure the update was hundreds of megabytes, if not multiple gigabytes.  I tried to explain that every time we wanted to play Caverns of Mars we had to rewind the tape to the beginning, reset the counter, fast forward the tape to the correct position and then start the loading.  I don't remember how long the loading took but you had to do that each time you wanted to play.  And this was for a game that was undoubtedly only kilobytes large, not megabytes or gigabytes.

We've come a long way...

tips my grandparents used in their lives and which we'll need again for the 22nd century --
how to make your own soap, set up an outside privy, protect your skin from the strong sun, and catch and cook a squirrel

<< catch and cook a squirrel >>

and no possum ???

Carve that possum (Uncle Dave Macon 1927 recording)

Oh, carve that possum,
Oh, carve him to his heart

Carried him home and dressed him off
Hung him out that night to frost
Well, the way to cook the possum sound
Cook, fry, boil, and bake it brown

Possum meat am good to eat 
Always fat and good and sweet
Sweet potatoes in the pan 
Sweetest eating in the land

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016