• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
I own a house and an apartment. The house will always have cable. Can I watch cable at the apartment somehow by using the house's cable tv subscription (even if I have to pay for an extra box)

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It really depends on the cable service and what they offer. However, I'm about 100% sure you won't be able to use a cable box in the apartment without paying for cable service there.

FiOS Quantum TV allows you to stream DVR recorded content to a phone or tablet while away from "home":

If your cable provider doesn't offer something similar, you can look into using streaming apps from various channels. Typically, you can activate them using your cable account and then stream while away from home.

Another option would be to get "TV" service from something like SlingTV or Playstation Vue, which offer channel packages of cable TV channels.I think you should be able to "move" where you're watching TV on these services:

You may also be able to subsist on just Hulu + Netflix, or a mix of other streaming services:

Finally, you can buy a Slingbox is stream video from you cable in one house to anywhere else:

Whatever option, you're going to need internet in both locations, and the house may need fast upload speed if you're streaming from the house to another location (Slingbox, or cable-provided streaming option like Fios QuantumTV). 

Cablevision has an "on the go" option that I think is $5/month so that you can use your service to watch on any device.  That may work if you use that cable provider.

OP , whatever happened to the HD HomeRun you were getting?

Just a little more info, Playstation Vue apparently has a policy of the service being tied to one "location," to prevent account sharing, so you can't constantly swap homes with it. You could set up a VPN from the apartment back to the house network though:

Sling TV is limited to one stream at a time, so they may not care about location as much.

An HD HomeRun is designed to work inside a network, not over the internet, so the bandwidth can be high for a video stream, and it may need some careful network configuring to work over the internet, like a VPN. The HD Homerun Plus does do h265 transcoding, so that could reduce bandwidth needs.

This may not be what you are thinking about, but cable services like Comcast allow the cable subscriber to watch a selection of taped shows and even some "live" tv streaming, via the internet on a computer, when logged into their Comcast account.

In other words, via my Comcast account, on my computer I can watch some programs, for free. I expect that when using my computer in that way, the computer could be anywhere geographically, it wouldn't have to be physically located at the same address as the tv subscription/cable setup was based.

So in the apartment you could hook up your computer to a big computer monitor, or to a modern tv set (that has the plug-ins that make it easy to connect it to a computer), log in to the house's cable account online, and watch some programs that way.

There are also some channels that do offer programs, even live streaming, directly from their own websites over the internet, either with or without having to prove that you simultaneously pay for a cable subscription, such as PBS, TCM, and the UK's Sky News. I'm sure there are others.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
    Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016