• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hello,

I just need to do some light Internet surfing. I dont need to play hardcore games or use memory-intensive software, like adobe photoshop.

I have WIndows 7, Vista, and XP DVDs in 32 and 64 bits. Which MS Windows operating system and what bit should I install on each of these computers and why?

1) AMD E-300 CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD
2) Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD
3) Intel Celeron M 350 CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD

Do you think its time for me to buy a new laptop? If so, when and what store? Online or B&M? Also, if I get a new laptop, would reinstalling an older MS Windows OS make the computer run faster? If so, which operating system should I put on a new ms windows 10 laptop?

TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Just install Chrome OS or Linux OS, no licensing and that 512mb ram won't even load anything but 98 properly.

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:    Also, if I get a new laptop, would reinstalling an older MS Windows OS make the computer run faster? If so, which operating system should I put on a new ms windows 10 laptop?

No.  On a new machine 10 will be faster than any older OS.

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:   
I have WIndows 7, Vista, and XP DVDs in 32 and 64 bits. Which MS Windows operating system and what bit should I install on each of these computers and why?

You do understand that unless you have a retail license you can't just install these on whatever machine you want, right?

rated:
All of those machines you listed are very low specs. I would recommend installing the license they were originally sold with. Look for the certificate sticker on their bottom or under the battery.

I wouldn't honestly use anything after XP for each if you don't know what license they came with. I recommend minimum 4GB RAM for Vista or Windows 7, and the processors are very low end.

If you get a new computer, use Windows 10. Recommend Intel i5 processor, and 8GB of RAM.

rated:
Please ensure that you use an OS that keeps current with patches to prevent malware. That means XP and Vista are not to be used

rated:
corpse101 said:   All of those machines you listed are very low specs. I would recommend installing the license they were originally sold with. Look for the certificate sticker on their bottom or under the battery.

I wouldn't honestly use anything after XP for each if you don't know what license they came with. I recommend minimum 4GB RAM for Vista or Windows 7, and the processors are very low end.

If you get a new computer, use Windows 10. Recommend Intel i5 processor, and 8GB of RAM.

i know the licenses they came with:
1) AMD E-300 CPU, 2GB RAM, 250GB HD (came with MS windows 7 64-bit)
2) Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD (came with ms windows vista 32-bit)
3) Intel Celeron M 350 CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD (came with ms windows xp home 32-bit)

would you still recommend me to stay with the licenses they came with? would installing a newer operating system on any of the machines make the computers slower because of the low specs on those computers?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Just install Chrome OS or Linux OS, no licensing and that 512mb ram won't even load anything but 98 properly.
  im used to ms windows though. also, are you sure 512mb ram wont load anything but ms windows 98 properly? I think I remember years ago running ms windows pro 32 but on that computer and it ran fine. but I grew a bit tired of the old os.

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:   
corpse101 said:   All of those machines you listed are very low specs. I would recommend installing the license they were originally sold with. Look for the certificate sticker on their bottom or under the battery.

2) Intel Pentium Dual Core T2390, 2GB RAM, 160GB HD (came with ms windows vista 32-bit)
3) Intel Celeron M 350 CPU, 512MB RAM, 40GB HD (came with ms windows xp home 32-bit)

would you still recommend me to stay with the licenses they came with? would installing a newer operating system on any of the machines make the computers slower because of the low specs on those computers?

You do understand that the license determines what you can legally install, right?  You can't (legally) just put whatever you feel like on there.  If it came with XP, that's what you have a legal license for, so that's what you can legally install.

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:   
forbin4040 said:   Just install Chrome OS or Linux OS, no licensing and that 512mb ram won't even load anything but 98 properly.
  im used to ms windows though. also, are you sure 512mb ram wont load anything but ms windows 98 properly? I think I remember years ago running ms windows pro 32 but on that computer and it ran fine. but I grew a bit tired of the old os.

XP will run with 512, it's just kind of slow.   Keep in mind that many modern web sites won't work the the version of IE that you get with XP, and other browsers are starting to remove XP support.  Something like Chrome OS or Linux would be faster and would still be supported.

rated:
minidrag said:   
bestbuy1115 said:   

You do understand that the license determines what you can legally install, right?  You can't (legally) just put whatever you feel like on there.  If it came with XP, that's what you have a legal license for, so that's what you can legally install.

So even though i know plenty of people who use pirated software and never got caught, would you still say i realy need to install legally. i dont feel it has to be so rigid as you put it. is it a hard and fast law that must not be broken, like a stores policy about zero tolerance for violence or shoplifting?

i know people who went to my university and downloaded music illegally using a p2p program on the computers at the computer lab but never felt remorse or got in trouble. did they cross the line?

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:   
minidrag said:   
bestbuy1115 said:   

So even though i know plenty of people who use pirated software and never got caught, would you still say i realy need to install legally. i dont feel it has to be so rigid as you put it. is it a hard and fast law that must not be broken, like a stores policy about zero tolerance for violence or shoplifting?

i know people who went to my university and downloaded music illegally using a p2p program on the computers at the computer lab but never felt remorse or got in trouble. did they cross the line?

I don't care what you do.  No, you won't get caught.  I was just pointing it out, to make sure you knew what you were doing.

Yes, if you do it it's illegal.  It is indeed a hard, fast law.  There is no question about that part.  The licensing is clear, the EULA is something you agree to when you install.  If you choose to ignore that, so be it.

rated:
bestbuy1115 said:     So even though i know plenty of people who use pirated software and never got caught, would you still say i realy need to install legally.
  This is horrible logic, by the way.  "I know plenty of people that have stolen stuff and not been caught, does that make it legal?"  "I know people that have done heroin and not been caught, does that make it legal?"

Know the law then make your own decisions about it.  Don't do things because someone else got away with it.

rated:
You just said you want to do light internet surfing. Then Linux OS with Chrome is what you want. Period. Chrome is updated on those free OS's all the time and isn't a memory hog.

Now if you intend to use those for something else like Word or Outlook? Good luck with ram less than 4gb the OS today will eat the machine for lunch (AKA run very slow)

rated:
Thanks for all the replies. I got a lot of insight and info.

rated:
If you're only doing internet surfing it doesn't really matter what OS you're using, does it?  Chrome and Firefox look basically the same whether you're running them on a Windows machine or Linux.  If you want a super lightweight OS that can run installed on a hard drive or from a USB stick, try Linux Puppy.  Download it, intall it on a USB stick, and boot it up.  That way you can try it out before installing.

rated:
Yes. The OS matters. For Windows only Win7 or later are kept current with patches

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016