• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Logmein Pro user looking for cheaper (free?) replacement

I am an experienced computer software and hardware professional seeking some personal recommendations of a solution replacement for my current Logmein Pro application.

My sole and current use of this application is to connect to my fatherís PC for the purpose of transferring daily digital newpaper/newletters for him; checking on the status of security software, automated backups, necessary patch installs, etc; additionally sometimes I have to get on the phone with him and show him how to do something, or just do something advanced as he watches.

The machines I use from my end of Windows 7 professional; his desktop also has Windows 7 pro on it.

I used Logmein for years when it was free, gladly paid $49 when they started changing, grumbled a little when it went to $99, complained when it went to $149.† Today I got notice that my subscription in January is going up again, but if I renew prior to the end of 2016 I can ďstill get my great low rateĒ.† Which both scares me and ticks me off enough that I want to look for a different solution.

There are many different products out there, some have good reviews, some donít.† I found a couple of free with no reviews (scary) and some paid with reviews that look like 20 people in a marketing department all submitted them.† Iím hoping that some of the fine geeks which hang out here on FW can share some of their personal recommendations with me.† Honestly, since I know Logmein and have various scripts, etc. to process things, it might be best to stay with them despite the cost.† But I might find some gem because of your experiences and thatís why Iím asking.

Thank you for your time.
LJ†

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Logmein was incredible.

Teamviewer does work almost as good but is littered with lots of splash screens when you log in / out.
It's for personal use only to be free. And yes they watch what IP's you connect to / from and can easily determine if you are using it for business purposes.

rated:
I use TightVNC for this.† To connect from outside the network, you have to map a port through the firewall but aside from that it's as easy as can be.

The only catch I can think of is if the IP of the server changes (i.e. in your case if your dad's ISP changes his ISP on him, which will happen from time to time) then you have to know the new IP before you can connect.

rated:
Remote Utilities is free for up to 10 remote machines. After that you have to buy a license. The free license is good for personal or business use.† I've used it for a couple of years now - works well.
https://www.remoteutilities.com/buy/free.php

rated:
thank you for the replies!

Recognizing that this is solely for personal use I just realized that when I travel and use VPN for connecting to hotel wifi that some of these might think it is commercial... I'll have to check with their support teams.

I greatly appreciate your time and thoughts!

LJ

rated:
I have not tried to do this in a long time, but I think you can use Remote Desktop Connection that is built into Win 7.

MS Link

rated:
kenmoreland said:   I have not tried to do this in a long time, but I think you can use Remote Desktop Connection that is built into Win 7.

MS Link

† That would require configuring the router on the remote end to allow access.

rated:
minidrag said:   
kenmoreland said:   I have not tried to do this in a long time, but I think you can use Remote Desktop Connection that is built into Win 7.

MS Link

† That would require configuring the router on the remote end to allow access.

††
And leaving that port open to the internet isn't a good idea.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016