• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I recently purchased an Echo Dot and a Google Home.  I have the Dot hooked up to wireless speakers  I don't really have any technical need for either, so I'm really viewing them more as a perk than for solving an issue.  I don't have any 'Smart' devices I need controlled by either device, I don't have any music in the cloud, but I do have Amazon Prime.  

Aside from the cost difference, I was wondering if anyone else found one more useful than the other.  These are things *I* found, stuff I actually would use them for.

• Google Home has factual answers to random questions more often than Alexa, who says 'I don't understand what you are asking'   
  • Because I have Amazon Prime, asking Alexa to play a specific song is usually successful.  There does not seem to be any free alternative with Google.  You get a free 6 months of You Tube Red (what an unfortunate name), but after that, you can't request specific songs without a premium music service.  
  • I can ask Google for traffic to any specific location.  I can't with Alexa  
  • Google remembers what you were talking about.  If you ask Google the 'what is the capital of Russia', it answers Moscow.  If you then ask 'what is the population', it remembers you were talking about Russia.  
  • The Google shopping list goes directly to Google Keep, which I already use.  Alexa lists go to the Alexa app.
  • Alexa can send texts through the AT&T Skill.  I can't send texts with Google Home.

Member Summary
Staff Summary

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016