Strange printer problem

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Helping out a guy/business with a printer problem. Whenever he prints, printout has smudges. He tried to print to 3 different printers and still able to replicate. I came to check it out, I was able to replicate the first time and then the next 11 tests I was not able to replicate. I checked printer drivers, page alignment, etc. these are big industrial printers and not the ones you keep on your desk. What's strange is that he doesn't have issue printing from anywhere else but just pdf files. I updated the software, still can't reproduce it. Installed Foxit, still can't. He just gave me a call that the issue still exists. What could be the problem? I was thinking about the drums or toners but it's too much of a coincidence that it's occurring when printing to 3 different printers. It does also occur when he prints from his any other 20 desktops.

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
OK, at this point I'm going to say it's user error. All the information given so far points to that, especially since yo... (more)

marsilies (Dec. 30, 2016 @ 5:37p) |

Most likely I'll go back some time next week or a week after. As for OS it's Win 10 Home 64-bit; Foxit 8.1.4

dmitriy1980 (Dec. 30, 2016 @ 5:44p) |

OP, you wrote in answer to the following question:  Is it only him having the problem, or does anyone else in his office... (more)

oppidum (Jan. 02, 2017 @ 3:05a) |

Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

If you do a mass printing (such as greeting cards), some residual is from the previous job and it just gets uglier page after page.

This usually means the colors are too intense for whatever 'industrial printers' he is using.

These are income taxes pdfs

What kind of paper is he using?

regular paper

Define regular paper, I've had issues with recycled papers but never with cheap stuff like Staples Red

Letter size, 8.5 x 11 inches

Brand I mean

i believe from Staples. not too sure but again i was not able to replicate on their computers, with the same paper.

Is it only him having the problem, or does anyone else in his office experience it?

Are the smudges in the same place on the page?

What's the brand/model of the printers? Are they all the same?

Inkjets can take a moment to dry, if handled before that you can get smudges. Is it possible it has something to do with the speed at which he picks up PDF print jobs from the printer?

Is it only him having the problem, or does anyone else in his office experience it? Happens for everyone in the office from 20 different desktops

Are the smudges in the same place on the page? About the same places yes but not consistent

What's the brand/model of the printers? Are they all the same? Don't remember which ones exactly but 1 HP, and 2 other ones are Sharp

Is it possible it has something to do with the speed at which he picks up PDF print jobs from the printer? Don't know, probably not. I would print 15 page documents and wouldn't be able to reproduce. He would print the same and he would get it on page 1 and some other ones.

dmitriy1980 said:   
Is it possible it has something to do with the speed at which he picks up PDF print jobs from the printer? Don't know, probably not. I would print 15 page documents and wouldn't be able to reproduce. He would print the same and he would get it on page 1 and some other ones.

Who's handling the paper as it comes out of the printer for each print job? Was he picking up both yours and his print jobs?

All 3 printers are right next to him, so when I was printing I was taking them out. When he was printing he was taking them out

dmitriy1980 said:   All 3 printers are right next to him, so when I was printing I was taking them out. When he was printing he was taking them out

It sounds like user error then. I don't know what the hell he's doing, but he's smudging them when picking them up. Again, if inkjet, smudging is possible. If the printers are all sitting next to him, I assume he's the one pulling them out for all print jobs normally. 

When he called me, he printed first 2 and I saw first 2 usecase with smudges and I saw him pull out the paper. Then I took over and was not able to reproduce. So, I don't know what he's doing (he says he takes 1 pdf file 14-15 pages long and just prints it), but I was able to see him reproduce it. Didn't see anything out of ordinary in what he was doing.

ink or laser or wax (Yes Wax)

dmitriy1980 said:   When he called me, he printed first 2 and I saw first 2 usecase with smudges and I saw him pull out the paper. 

This isn't clear. Are you saying that, before he picked them up, you saw the pages with smudges sitting in the exit tray?

How is the paper fed? Is there a stack in a feeder, or do you insert the paper as needed? He could have oily fingers messing up the paper before it's printed on.

But it's only with PDF's right?

I'd try more PDF softwares.

zapjb said:   But it's only with PDF's right?

I assumed that, by installing Foxit PDF, as mentioned in the OP, he had already tried other PDF software.

marsilies said:   
dmitriy1980 said:   When he called me, he printed first 2 and I saw first 2 usecase with smudges and I saw him pull out the paper. 

This isn't clear. Are you saying that, before he picked them up, you saw the pages with smudges sitting in the exit tray?

How is the paper fed? Is there a stack in a feeder, or do you insert the paper as needed? He could have oily fingers messing up the paper before it's printed on.

Before he printed there was nothing in the tray. I was standing next to him. he click print and pages were printed with smudges.

There's a big tray where you can put like 300-400 pages.

marsilies said:   
zapjb said:   But it's only with PDF's right?

I assumed that, by installing Foxit PDF, as mentioned in the OP, he had already tried other PDF software.

yes he had adobe pdf reader. I installed foxit software since i thought it might've been corruption with adobe pdf reader

dmitriy1980 said:   
marsilies said:   

Before he printed there was nothing in the tray. I was standing next to him. he click print and pages were printed with smudges.

Did you see the smudges before he picked them up out of the exit tray though?

it's a printer where the pages come up like in a middle of a printer not on top, so I didn't see. If you think that he smudges it when taking it out, that's not the case as they are in multiple places of the page and as I mentioned also on other pages. This is not caused by him retrieving pages.

dmitriy1980 said:   it's a printer where the pages come up like in a middle of a printer not on top, so I didn't see. If you think that he smudges it when taking it out, that's not the case as they are in multiple places of the page and as I mentioned also on other pages. This is not caused by him retrieving pages.

It's something he's doing, as it's not happening when you print and retrieve the pages.

Did you print to all 3 printers yourself?

yes I did.

dmitriy1980 said:   yes I did.

OK, at this point I'm going to say it's user error. All the information given so far points to that, especially since you're not able to reproduce it. You're going to have to make him go through, very slowly, step by step, his process of printing out those pages, with you watching at every step of the way. If he's blocking your view of something, like the exit tray, he'll have to move. Make sure to inspect the pages before removing them from the tray. 

If it's still happening, then we'll need more data, like the specific brand and model of each printer, the software and OS being used to print, maybe even the printer driver and version number.

Most likely I'll go back some time next week or a week after. As for OS it's Win 10 Home 64-bit; Foxit 8.1.4

OP, you wrote in answer to the following question:  Is it only him having the problem, or does anyone else in his office experience it?
"Happens for everyone in the office from 20 different desktops"

Is it happening for all the other people in the office when they send the print job and they are the ones picking up the printed papers from the printer?

If it happens to all of them, then how can that be "user error", because you'd have x number of people making the same weird mistake, time after time.

But if he is the only person who is taking the papers from the printers (regardless of who sent the print jobs to the printer, from any machine in the office), then maybe it is just that one guy doing something odd.

---
You wrote, "I came to check it out, I was able to replicate the first time and then the next 11 tests I was not able to replicate."

So once it also happened to you, when you were the person sending the print job and you were the person picking up the papers from the printer?

But it only happened once for you, and never again?

Were you sending your "testing" print jobs from that guy's computer, or from your own?

---
Is this a new situation for them -- has printing been just fine up to now, but then suddenly -- with no changes to their equipment, to their software, or to what they are printing -- it started to happen?

---
Can you try some high-quality printer paper, and see if it happens to the same guy when using more expensive paper in the printer?

And also try having him send the print job from his computer, but then you pick it up out of the printer,
and try the reverse - you send the print job and have him pick it up from the printer.

---
Have they already thought to have their printers cleaned/serviced?  Maybe it's something internal to the printers.  (It doesn't sound like it, but who knows.)

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017