• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
why do cell manufactuers have to keep trying to make them thinner, who give a s #$$ it is going in case. seems to me a waste when funds could be used for improved screen strength. just wondering

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Thinner means a better fit in a pocket and usually means lighter, which means easier to hold. Personally, I don't use a case, so it matters to me.

rated:
that never crossed my mind, different point of view.

rated:
Cause the people who are shelling out the money for the latest flagship at launch are the exact people who DON'T put them in a case so everyone can see it and be impressed. I agree, I'd take a better battery any day over a thinner phone, but those options are getting harder to find.

rated:
drodge said:   Cause the people who are shelling out the money for the latest flagship at launch are the exact people who DON'T put them in a case so everyone can see it and be impressed. I agree, I'd take a better battery any day over a thinner phone, but those options are getting harder to find.
  I don't give a damn about people seeing my phone.  I think cases make my phone bulkier and harder to handle and harder to access the buttons.

I would be fine with slightly thicker for longer battery life, too.  The new Moto phones allow for a battery snap on attachment, but most companies don't seem too interested in making their phones bigger.

rated:
I hear, you, but I think you're in the minority. Manufacturers design flagships to appeal to the bleeding edge consumers who flock to the new releases. The phone has to look different so people can spot it from the other 10,000 models out there. Does anyone believe consumers were so sick of headphone jacks that they demanded manufacturers dump them? Thinner and sleeker is definitely part of the design for the majority of manufacturers and they definitely cater to it. Look at the Galaxy line, which is always thinner than the one before and just different enough to make it distinguishable from the previous one. The Active line with the exact same specs doesn't ship till nearly a year later with a tougher exterior and bigger battery. People with smaller hands generally prefer a differently proportioned phone, so slimmer definitely works for some people. However, I've never heard someone say "I sure wish this phone were a little thinner, then it would be perfect." I've heard hundreds upon hundreds of people say "I sure wish the battery lasted longer."

rated:
One thing to consider is that the thinner the phone, the thinner the phone+case is going to be too. So it's not like people using cases don't see a benefit from a thinner phone.

rated:
At some point we're to the place where thinner affects the physical integrity of the chassis of the phone. Apple got hit with the folding iPhones. Maybe composites and/or milled one-piece phones will fix that. I just like the feel of something sturdy. I'm probably in the minority on that, however.

rated:
If flexible screens work out, maybe we'll be heading back to flip phones...

rated:
1me2ao said:   why do cell manufactuers have to keep trying to make them thinner, who give a s #$$ it is going in case. seems to me a waste when funds could be used for improved screen strength. just wondering

I agree.  I think they are thin enough that they fit in the pocket comfortably and are easy to hold.  I'd rather have things like a head phone jack or more battery or a phone that doesn't explode (because casing is too tight on battery).

Marketing seems to care most about the camera and thickness.

I hate phone cases and always use the phone naked...  I am not against getting a low profile bumper case, though. 

I don't really care about showing off my phone.  I'm not sure if there are phones anymore that are worthy of showing off.  Most people have a higher end phone than me anyways...  I used to sell high end phones when it was the "in" thing.  (before iphones existed).  People would shell out $$$ for a sexy phone.  Then they would buy a cover for it, making it look like all the other phones out there. 

rated:
I know I'm not the Target market, but for me screen durability is a big issue. I'd be less likely to case the phone if i thought the screen wasn't going to crack when I drop it. Improved scratch resistance would also be a big plus. We're still using pretty outdated battery technology, so any improvement in reliability, storage capacity or charging speed would be a huge selling point for me also.

rated:
drodge said:   I know I'm not the Target market, but for me screen durability is a big issue. I'd be less likely to case the phone if i thought the screen wasn't going to crack when I drop it. Improved scratch resistance would also be a big plus. We're still using pretty outdated battery technology, so any improvement in reliability, storage capacity or charging speed would be a huge selling point for me also.
  So...  make everything better? 

rated:
drodge said:   I'd be less likely to case the phone if i thought the screen wasn't going to crack when I drop it. Improved scratch resistance would also be a big plus..

Crack resistance and scratch resistance are somewhat diametrically opposed properties of glass. To make glass scratch resistant, you have to make it "harder" than things that would scratch it, but this means it's less pliable, and thus more brittle, meaning it'll crack easier. Meanwhile, to make something crack resistant you have to make it pliable, in order to absorb and/or transfer the drop force without cracking, but this makes it "softer" and more prone to cracks. 

A lot of scientists and engineers work very hard to slowly make glass and other transparent screens that are thinner and more scratch and crack resistant.

See for more info:
http://www.itworld.com/article/2833434/mobile/hardness-is-not-to...
http://pocketnow.com/2012/08/27/screens-scratching-shattering
http://www.dailydot.com/debug/corning-gorilla-glass-project-phir...
https://www.wired.com/2012/09/ff-corning-gorilla-glass/all/

rated:
I'm in the market for a new phone.

My first android phone had 3 physical buttons, rather than 2-3 non physical buttons. I want the physical buttons back. How many times do I accidentally back out of something? It's in the thousands. IMO, the touch buttons on the bottom of all current android phones are incredibly clumsy. The current trend is not user friendly. It is simply design over function. This is one of a few reasons I would like to switch to an iPhone. But don't let me get started on the iPhone 7...

I'd be happy with my original Android if all the internals were updated.

rated:
The Galaxy Actives have physical buttons. There also an action button on the side that you can program to do whatever you want.

rated:
drodge said:   The Galaxy Actives have physical buttons. There also an action button on the side that you can program to do whatever you want.

Thanks,  I'll put that in my phones to consider list.

rated:
Slim phones mean thinner and squeezed batteries which (if belongs to Samsung) can explode anytime. Apart from that, it can easily fit into your pocket and can be kept in hand for longer times.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017