Email address weirdness - Can't email to spoof@paypal.com - period keep gettting added

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
This is a weird one.  I got a paypal phishing email so I was trying to forward it on (spoof.paypal.com)  and it keep getting bounced back.  Upon closer examination.  My PC (or outlook I used) is adding a period to the end of the email address. the email became

​spoof@paypal.com. vs spoof@paypal.com  (note the period after the .com in the prior example)

​and no matter how I type it, the period keep coming back which result in the email becoming undeliverable and wont' even get pass the origination server.  I searched a bit found this below but I dont' think they realized the ( . period ) was the issue.

https://www.paypal-community.com/t5/Buying-with-PayPal/phishing-...

​Anyway, I'm posting this more for discussion and informational purpose.  I finally was able to send it after putting the semi-colon right after the email address preventing the inserting of the period.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Its because you already had typed it with a period. (And Outlook autoadded its own address book). Delete if from the address book and then you can send it (if you ever need to again)

That's what I thought too but it seems more devious than that.

Got another one of those today and it keep adding the period. It is not in the address book nor is it in the auto-suggest. Forcing a semicolon didn't even work. I really think they embedded some kind of script to it. Of course, I can be wrong too. I can only "defeat" it by adding a period in the name. So spoof@paypal.com become sp.oof@paypal.com, as far as I know, this email will still work.

​eta: now PayPal's server rejected the sp.oof  address.. lol

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017