PogoPlug Question...

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:

Older PogoPlug Device
Disclaimer
Some of you regulars have your finger on the pulse of things so I wanted to ask you...

Is PogoPlug hardware now defunct?  I can't seem to find a straight answer.

I have an old school PogoPlug that has served me perfectly for quite a while (looks like the attached).  Over the past several years I've had relatively few problems with the device.  Any problems I did have I was able to resolve by removing the hard drive attached to the PogoPlug and then some combination of unplug the PogoPlug / reconnect the hard drive / etc. and things would be back to normal.

For the past several weeks I have absolutely no functionality.  I had chalked it up to a failing drive but now that I've spent some time with it, it seems as if my drive isn't the issue?  That's where I can't find a straight answer...

If I want to use the PogoPlug simply on my local network to backup files, am I now out of luck?  Does this task require Cloud Engine servers to be up and running (as best I can tell they aren't)?

It seems odd to me as I know when things were working the connection between my computer and the PogoPlug was absolutely on my internal network only, the transfer speeds were way too high to be using my ISP upload, sending to CloudEngine and then back to the PogoPlug drive.  So why does their server shutdown result in my not being able to use the hardware?

Any insight you can give me is appreciated.  I've searched a few times but can't seem to figure it out...  It doesn't help that the PogoPlug OS manipulates the drive so that every time I plug it into a Windows machine it tells me it wants to scan and fix for errors...  As far as I can tell the hard drive is physically okay...

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

ChinaRider said:   So why does their server shutdown result in my not being able to use the hardware?

Not specific to this product, but any company can have a 'check in' requirement in their software.  If it can't connect to the home Server it stops working.

Their main web site appears to be working. Have you tried contacting them via social media? Email?
https://pogoplug.com/contact

minidrag said:   
ChinaRider said:   So why does their server shutdown result in my not being able to use the hardware?

Not specific to this product, but any company can have a 'check in' requirement in their software.  If it can't connect to the home Server it stops working.

Yes, I'm well aware of that, and this is essentially my question - does PogoPlug have this sort of requirement built into their products?  That's what I can't seem to find out...

I haven't emailed PogoPlug yet but I suppose I will soon.  I was just surprised that I couldn't find much about their recent change to their business model and how it impacts existing (legacy) hardware.

As of yesterday, everything is back up and running, but that still doesn't allow me to determine whether it was a server issue on their end or some sort of hardware issue on my end...

Hopefully their support people will be able to help. Let us know if you hear back from them.

I have a couple of these, but have flashed them. If the company stops supporting it, you can still get some use out of it by installing linux and using it as some other type of server. If you google "PogoPlug Hacking" you'll find lots of info on installing a standard LAMP stack.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017