• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Reinstalling Windows 10 on a laptop that has a busted HD.

I've done this twice before but this is first time I've tried in a Lappy that has two HDs.
(Both times went flawless, and windows activated)

This time, activation Failure.  Hardware mismatch. (The only hardware different was the primary HD)
Says 'open Windows Trouble Shooter' , then it says please put in your Microsoft ID or Skype ID. 
I thought lets put in my Skype ID.  
It then DELETES my Skype ID, and forces Skype to use my Microsoft ID (I had one too as well)
(Also changes my Skype password to my Microsoft ID)
It also changes my PC Admin to use that Microsoft ID (It's been a Local ID forever)
Went back to the Troubleshooter, asks for Microsoft ID, I put it in, and nothing...it just goes to the lock screen.  I'm like WTF.

After 3 days of frustration, I call the 800 number.  A nice guy (Who couldn't speak a proper lick of English) then logs into my computer and puts in a key.  No questions about Microsoft ID, no NOTHING except for Name and Email and Phone # (And 1 hour)

So I'm curious why a simple HD change caused the activation issue (Didn't microsoft have this properitary serial that showed my PC only changed 1 thing?)

So just a Public Service Announcement, the Microsoft ID is useless for fixing a Windows 10 Activation issue, just call.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Meanwhile, I've taken a HDD with a Windows 10 Pro install that was activated on one PC, moved it to another PC that was also activated for Windows 10 Pro, booted the HDD, and it re-activated fine as soon as it got online.

It looks like the Microsoft ID feature was a thing they added with the Anniversary Update: your Windows 10 license is now tied to your Microsoft ID to make it easier to pull up the license.

This article shows the new troubleshooter:
http://www.windowscentral.com/how-re-activate-windows-10-after-h...

Was there actually a message that stated it was a hardware mismatch, or did you click on the "I changed hardware on this device recently" link at the end of the Troubleshooter?

rated:
I clicked on the link, which then started the whole 'Login with your Microsoft ID' and 'Your Microsoft ID doesn't show any matching equipment'.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I clicked on the link, which then started the whole 'Login with your Microsoft ID' and 'Your Microsoft ID doesn't show any matching equipment'.

Yeah, probably best to avoid the  "I changed hardware on this device recently" link unless you actually changed something more than the HD. 

I bought a few used Thinkcentre Tinys, with Windows 8 licenses, off of eBay and installed Windows 10 Pro on them. Most of them activated fine, but two of them didn't. I used a utility called get_win8key to get the Windows 8 key from the BIOS, and use the "change Windows key" option to enter them in. They activated, but as "Windows 10 Pro Education" licenses. I guess a school had those particular devices before. Might be worth trying if you encounter a Windows 10 activation issue.
https://github.com/christian-korneck/get_win8key

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017