Which router - Asus RT-N66 or TM-AC1900

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
Ok, so my old single band router is beginning to show its age and my newly added wifi cameras sometime don't get the best connection.  I see Newegg got the RT-N66 on sale for about $40 and Tanga got the refurb T-Mobile version of the AC1900 for about $45.  The AC1900 seems to have better spec and I'll willing to flash it to merlin or DDWRT.  Suggestions?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

take your pick. Both are good

Do your WiFi cameras use the latest 802.11ac speeds? Or just 802.11n, probably like your current router? If the latter, don't expect much improvement if any just buy buying a new AC router.

A dual band router only helps you if you actually use the second band (5GHZ). If your cameras operate only at 2.4GHZ (like many wifi devices), then again: a dual band router probably won't make much if any difference - better only if the 2.4GHZ performance happens to be better, just because the design of the router is better or something.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017