• filter:

advice on purchasing laptop

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
hello,

although i already have laptops now, im really thinking of getting 1 more. ive been struggling with this question for a long time:

How do i decide which laptop to buy thats best for me? I am a light user. I dont play any hardcore games, use adobe photoshop, run any software in the background to take up memory, or use 3d modeling software. I may open a few mozilla firefox or internet explorer tabs at once, and use ms word. i may also simultaneously download files. but thats about it. I know ms windows 10 uses like 1gb to 2gb ram typically so I dont want to skimp on memory and i dont want a small ssd or other kind of drive. i want the computer to last at least a few years since i dont buy laptops every day

should I:
1) buy the cheapest laptop (new sealed in box, and with a sata drive for the highest capacity) (e.g., intel core i3, 4gb ram, 1tb hd)
2) buy the best-selling laptop (maybe its an average priced laptop) (e.g., intel core i3, 6gb ram, 1tb hd)
3) buy the most expensive laptop (but i fear itd be overkill for my needs/i fear itd have speed or features that id never really have a need for) (e.g., intel core i7-6800hq, 64gb ram, 1tb hd + 1tb ssd) <---- I know that's a beast of a computer!!!

im not dirt poor. I dont mind spending money for necessary specs or components in a laptop because i dont want the computer to lag opening up a simple program like ms word. but i also dont want to waste money getting like a 2000 dollar super-powerful computer for gaming cuz thatd have way too many specs and speed for what id ever need, yes?

please advise. thanks

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
buy the cheapest, it costs the same as 2 best selling and 5 most expensive

rated:
1. No
2. No
3. No

You don't do anything demanding with your laptop so any *new* laptop with a SSD for the hard drive and 8GB memory or more will feel snappy to you.  I'd look for the best deal on a Core i3 I could find.

Factors you should consider would be screen size, the inclusion of a number key pad, weight, touch screen, etc.

You can always add an external hard drive for storage.

rated:
Thank you all! btw: I just found this helpful site: http://www.cheatsheet.com/technology/15-mistakes-too-many-people...

rated:
Some laptops don't come with an ethernet port now. Just wifi. So if you have a nice 100Mbps or better internet source, you may not get full use of it.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017