• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
a friend of mine wants to have a cheap device added to his TV to get free TV stations.  I use prime but that cost and you get extras.  what is the cheapest and best device to add to a TV

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
forgot to add, don't want to be like a browser would prefer something application based

rated:
Roku

or

A old laptop or PC

or

chromecast if the person already have a android tablet or phone.

rated:
roku express for $35
Comes with a Remote
Or
Google Chrome Cast for $30
Uses an android device for controls.

rated:
ridn4free said:   a friend of mine wants to have a cheap device added to his TV to get free TV stations. 

An Antenna...

rated:
Roku Stick. It's cheap, easy and had tons of free content.

rated:
his big interest is the history channel, it looks like you have to have a provider now.  is there a cheap provider that allows you to buy it standalone or is this another cable overreach?  I got youtube loaded and there is plenty there but it would be nice to get this to him easier

rated:
History channel offers some limited content for free when using their smart phone app which pairs great with ruku or chromecast.

rated:
I bought a Roku SE refurbished last year for $25 and it's been terrific - while some reviews complain it is slow (maybe compared to a Roku 3 or AppleTV at 3x-8x more expensive), I don't find it that way. It's a lot faster, easier to navigate, and better overall video experience than trying to access those online providers through either a Samsung or Sony Blu-Ray player. In the past two months, I've seen deals on the Roku SE for as little as $15 refurbished.

I've got an original Chromecast and I don't like it - I find the whole having to do videos through my phone then casting them onto the Chromecast to display onto my TV is a bit convoluted and slow, seems like I get better resolution with the Roku, plus Chromecasts aren't compatible with Amazon video without some sort of work-around that did not seem particularly easy at first glance.

rated:
Sling includes the History channel in their basic package for $20 and you can watch it on any roku.

rated:
Maybe you might know someone with too many smart tv devices that's ready to let one go... I'm pretty much at that point where I would hand one to a friend of family member.

I have way too many "Smart TV" devices in my house now. WDTV, Roku, Chromecast, AppleTV, FireStick, Playstation 3+4 (with smart tv aps), BluRay (with smart tv apps). Only 3 TV's for all of that and one of them is already a smart TV. I use the roku mostly for internet apps and the WDTV for playing files off a memory stick. Biggest issue with my roku is that the batteries drain fast on the remote.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017