• filter:

USB & Hard drives- password protect and encryption software

  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have tons of Flash drives and hard drives with backups of sensitive data.
I was wondering what FWlers are doing to password protect and/or encrypt them to keep their sensitive data from prying eyes.

Reasons to encrypt your digital life 

In the past I use TrueCrypt to create encrypted volumes on hard drives and on my computer (Windows 7 HE) but mostly as a hobby.
I looked up what is available today since TrueCrypt is discontinued.

TrueCrypt alternatives   and some more Info 

 Password protect  USB Flash drive and some more info 

VeraCrypt & DiskCryptor seems nice but I am not sure which one to use and therefore would like FWler's input.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
For external drives I don't see any reason to use something other than TrueCrypt. Its issues were all about new boot code (UEFI) and the developers apparently not wanting to deal with it.

If you prefer something still in production, VeraCrypt is what I'd pick.

rated:
minidrag said:   For external drives I don't see any reason to use something other than TrueCrypt. Its issues were all about new boot code (UEFI) and the developers apparently not wanting to deal with it.

If you prefer something still in production, VeraCrypt is what I'd pick.

Thanks.
I have been using TrueCrypt on my PC but problem is that it require administrator's privileges to work.
I am assuming VeraCrypt has the same issue.
Was looking for something which will work on any computer and looking for suggestions if someone has it any alternatives.

rated:
marcopolomle said:   
minidrag said:   For external drives I don't see any reason to use something other than TrueCrypt. Its issues were all about new boot code (UEFI) and the developers apparently not wanting to deal with it.

If you prefer something still in production, VeraCrypt is what I'd pick.

Thanks.
I have been using TrueCrypt on my PC but problem is that it require administrator's privileges to work.
I am assuming VeraCrypt has the same issue.
Was looking for something which will work on any computer and looking for suggestions if someone has it any alternatives.

  You didn't mention that in your original post.  I don't know of any like that.

Maybe drives that come with encryption will do what you want.

rated:
I use this for my really sensitive stuff.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&...

But it's a usb stick with numeric password on the stick.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   I use this for my really sensitive stuff.

http://accessories.us.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=us&l=en&... 

But it's a usb stick with numeric password on the stick.

That's a good idea.
However, I was looking for something which can (at least) password protect my numerous USB Flash drives and Hard drives just to protect them from prying eyes.
Encryption is not necessary but desirable.

rated:
Encryption is the only way to protect your USB devices, otherwise anyone can break into them fairly quickly.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Encryption is the only way to protect your USB devices, otherwise anyone can break into them fairly quickly.
  
Yeah, you need some way to enforce a password, and encryption is the way to do it with files on a device that doesn't have any protection built in. Any other form of protection can be circumvented.

For example, on an NTFS formatted drive you could set a folder/file's permissions so that only your Windows user has access to it, but anyone with administrator access on any PC could overrride that.

LibreCrypt includes both a "portable" mode and explorer mode for looking at encrypted containers on other PCs without fulling installing the program on them.
https://n0where.net/open-source-disk-encryption-for-windows-libr...

rated:
I use bitlocker (built-in with Windows 10)

rated:
montee4 said:   I use bitlocker (built-in with Windows 10)
  
BitLocker is only available on Pro versions of Windows or higher. So it's good if you have one of the non-Home editions, but otherwise you have to look elsewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

BitLocker to Go can be setup on a USB drive, and once setup, can be used by any edition of Windows. So if you, say, have a Windows Pro PC at work, you could set up a new USB drive with it, then bring it home to transfer files to it:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/secure-your-...

 

rated:
marsilies said:   
montee4 said:   I use bitlocker (built-in with Windows 10)
  
BitLocker is only available on Pro versions of Windows or higher. So it's good if you have one of the non-Home editions, but otherwise you have to look elsewhere.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BitLocker

BitLocker to Go can be setup on a USB drive, and once setup, can be used by any edition of Windows. So if you, say, have a Windows Pro PC at work, you could set up a new USB drive with it, then bring it home to transfer files to it:
http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/windows-and-office/secure-your-... 

 

  Thanks for the clarification. I didn't realize it wasn't available in all versions.

rated:
Also, OP said Windows 7. Bitlocker is only available in the Enterprise version of 7.

rated:
OP has windows 7, though your link is bad

  • Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply
     
    Click here for full-featured reply.


Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017