Use cellphone tethering instead of home internet?

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have Tmobile family plan, so we are 6 people and I am paying 23x2=$46/month (me and wife)

This has unlimited internet of which only 2.5GB is LTE and then it goes down to 3G.
Home internet is some local company which I hate because it charges $85/month for 25MB/s

Last week, for trial purposes I shut down the home router and relied only on cellphone tethering. It worked perfectly.

But when I went over the 2.5GB limit, it slowed down but it was not uncomfortable.

The only problem I had was my cellphone which is HTC ONE M7, got really hot because it was tethering watching a movie on Samsung pad.

If I get rid of my internet and rely on cellphone internet tethering, can the cellphone stand that? Does this set up make sense, anyone else tried this?

Trying to save $85/month here, we only have Comcast as a competitor and it is not cheaper

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Have not tried this but here is a router you can add a sim to https://www.amazon.com/Tp-link-300mbit-Wlan-router-modem/dp/B017...  to spare your phone, or you could buy a dedicated hot spot. Both options would require another line which I think is $10.00 on TM.

tgarrick said:   Have not tried this but here is a router you can add a sim to https://www.amazon.com/Tp-link-300mbit-Wlan-router-modem/dp/B017IGEPWW  to spare your phone, or you could buy a dedicated hot spot. Both options would require another line which I think is $10.00 on TM.
  what is dedicated hot spot? never heard that one before

fleetwoodmac said:   
tgarrick said:   Have not tried this but here is a router you can add a sim to https://www.amazon.com/Tp-link-300mbit-Wlan-router-modem/dp/B017IGEPWW  to spare your phone, or you could buy a dedicated hot spot. Both options would require another line which I think is $10.00 on TM.
  what is dedicated hot spot? never heard that one before

Here's an example of one.  Basically it does all the hot spot stuff your phone does, but without your phone.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Mini-Portable-3G-4G-WiFi-Wlan-Hotspot...

I have a similar question. I am currently under a VZW grandfathered 3G speed data only plan. Had this plan for 20+ years. There is no data limit with this plan. I use between 45 & 60 GB/mo. Looking at many data only cellular plans, which I understand that after 22 GB of data the speed reduces to 3G speed. I am fine with 3G speed as this what I have now. I travel all across the USA in an RV so my ONLY choice for internet access is cellular.

My question is...Do any of the "new unlimited" data plans (TMO or VZW or any cellular data plan) shut you down or reduce your speed to 2G if I use 45+ GB/month?

AFAIK, the reduction on all "unlimited" cellular data plans (and the limited that state throttling) is NOT to 3G, but to 2G or 128k (check well the fine print on ads to verify...), so that may not work for many...

Also you have to take into consideration that right now cellular data is not as reliable as landline data (particularly if you use it on a constantly moving basis) if you depend on that.

Years ago, once in a while I would use cellphone tethering to access the internet with my laptop -- in another country where/when it was not against the law or against carrier rules.

I didn't even realize that it might be against some American carriers' rules until I saw a mention of it about 5 years ago.

I saw another mention of this restriction last year I think, about how in the US you have to register with your cell phone network provider that you want to do this and pay extra, or risk having your account cancelled, or something? That is even in the case of people having "unlimited" data plans, I vaguely recall.

I don't know more about it than that, but I was surprised that no one mentioned this issue on a thread where the OP is proposing to cancel home internet and go full time to tethering for all internet access at home (in a fixed location).

(I should think that many more people in the US would already be doing that, if it were legal/within-the-rules and easy to set up?)

Obviously, the hotspot thing has become popular in recent years, and maybe carriers have separate plans for people who have hotspots. 

(Sorry, I obviously don't know much about it, but I was just pretty sure that you can't do old-fashioned cellphone tethering for computers on a permanent basis in a fixed location in the US without endangering your cellphone agreement.)

You can always do tethering if your ask your Provider (And usually pay a fee).

What almost everyone is looking for (me included) is free tethering, and there are a few apps / rootkits that will eventually get you there. And those people are the ones who alert the providers when they go crazy with their high usage.

Finally after much frustration, I paid the $10/month fee and got a hotspot and tethering. Now I'm happy using up my data and never have to download / modify my tablets with the sketchy programs.

ATT has $20 unlimited hotspot now

http://www.howardforums.com/showthread.php/1893674-20-Unlimited-... 

keep in mind that all other companies have limited data when it comes to hotspot but ATT $20 plan does not have limitations

fleetwoodmac said:   ATT has $20 unlimited hotspot now

keep in mind that all other companies have limited data when it comes to hotspot but ATT $20 plan does not have limitations

The ATT stores in my area did not have the mobile hotspot, so I ordered it from BestBuy (on BestBuy eBay - got a $30 discount that way).  Picked the device up, drove over to the AT&T store to get it activated and WOW, 4G internet for $20 bucks a month on a month to month contract!  Paying in full vs 2-yr contract for the mobile hotspot (just $70 bucks).    Got to spend some time on Howard Forums to get it all set-up.  

Best deal out there for a 4G data plan mobile hotspot - users on HF report no slowdowns after 50+GB of usage.

Stupid question, but do I need to have a cell phone with ATT to use this?  I would be surfing the net with my tablet or laptop.  My cell provider is currently Republic Wireless on the Sprint network.  If I do need to have a phone with ATT, what would be the cheapest way to go?

Its a stand alone plan. I never had ATT before, bought the Mobley at Bestbuy, drove over to the ATT store, got it activated. All in all, took 45 minutes including travel time.

busnut said:   

The ATT stores in my area did not have the mobile hotspot, so I ordered it from BestBuy (on BestBuy eBay - got a $30 discount that way).  Picked the device up, drove over to the AT&T store to get it activated and WOW, 4G internet for $20 bucks a month on a month to month contract!  Paying in full vs 2-yr contract for the mobile hotspot (just $70 bucks).    Got to spend some time on Howard Forums to get it all set-up.  

Best deal out there for a 4G data plan mobile hotspot - users on HF report no slowdowns after 50+GB of usage.

Was it easy to convert the device from car to home purpose? I read the postings on HF but I am not tech savy to do soldering and all

Was it easy to convert the device from car to home purpose? I read the postings on HF but I am not tech savy to do soldering and all.

Search for Mobile AC Power Adapter for ZTE Mobley.  Beware there are some CHEAPLY MADE/UNSAFE adapters out there.  Look for seller with good comments & reviews. 

busnut said:   
 Was it easy to convert the device from car to home purpose? I read the postings on HF but I am not tech savy to do soldering and all.

Search for Mobile AC Power Adapter for ZTE Mobley.  Beware there are some CHEAPLY MADE/UNSAFE adapters out there.  Look for seller with good comments & reviews. 

So get this ZTE Mobley and then this AC power adapter and I am good to go?

Nothing else, no soldering no tampering with the device?

By the way, I googled but I was not sure which adapter to get. Can you give me one link where I can buy?

You are using interest by tethering. I also use that format earlier by using a cable on it. However, you can try for the WiFi-Hotspot now. It's work just fine for me. Just need to connect it to your PC and you can work for long time.

Is there a "not too complicated" way that I can use this with my desktop PC?  If yes, what do I need?

TIA  

confused200 said:   

Is there a "not too complicated" way that I can use this with my desktop PC?  If yes, what do I need?

If your desktop PC does not have WiFi, then you need to buy a USB WiFi adapter.  If you want to set-up a wireless network (printers, stream videos to your TV, etc.), then you may want to get a wireless router.  Follow the link to Howard Forums, they have the answers.  BTW, the AT&T Mobley is only $15/mo if you set-up automatic payments from a debit card.

Would this service work through a VPN? If not, what security feature does the Mobley have?

TIA

busnut said:   

The ATT stores in my area did not have the mobile hotspot, so I ordered it from Bestbuy (on Bestbuy eBay - got a $30 discount that way).  Picked the device up, drove over to the AT&T store to get it activated and WOW, 4G internet for $20 bucks a month on a month to month contract!  Paying in full vs 2-yr contract for the mobile hotspot (just $70 bucks).    Got to spend some time on Howard Forums to get it all set-up.  

Is the $30 discount still ongoing?

When I search eBay, all I get are listings for AC adapters (for the hotspot device); and the sellers for each listing is not shown -- until I click on a specific listing.  How do I find Best Buy on eBay

TIA

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017