• filter:

Speaker Wire Advice Needed - (Resolved, TY)

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I want to upgrade the really old wires of my stereo system speakers. I am planning on getting banana plugs to make it easier to connect the wires, plus I won't have to deal with loose connections.

I haven't the faintest idea what gauge I should get, and don't know the gauge I currently have, only that they are copper wire. It's what the sales guys grabbed when I bought the speakers. They suffered from excessive bending, and possible a gnawing cat, and some shows signs of wear and hairline cracks. Trust me, they are at least 3 decades old, or more. And I do believe they are effecting the overall performance of the speakers.

I am going to need a lot, because I have two large floor speakers, two smaller bookshelf, and a subwoofer tucked in a corner. These are 50 watt speakers, in case it matters, and they are connected to a Denon receiver/amp. Would like some feedback as to what gauge I should use at the minimum, or should I upgrade on a heavier gauge wire. Cost is not an issue if a higher gauge would be a better choice, await your suggestions. TIA!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
How far away are each of the speakers, as the wire runs? And they are all 50 watts? Even the bookshelf speakers? If not, provide the wattage on the speaker with the distance
Look here for guidance

rated:
ellory said:   How far away are each of the speakers, as the wire runs? And they are all 50 watts? Even the bookshelf speakers? If not, provide the wattage on the speaker with the distance
Look here for guidance

They are all 50 watts. even the 'bookshelf', they are pretty sizeable, in spite of the fact they were designated 'bookshelf' (which is about 18 in high). The speaker the furthest away is the subwoofer, as placing on the floor, tucked in a corner, was highly recommended. In order to accommodate the addition of the subwoofer, the floor speakers wiring had to be connected to the wire connection slots in the back of the subwoofer, one is at least 4 ft from the subwoofer, the other about 6. Subwoofer is at least a 6ft cable from it's location to the Denon. Bookshelf speakers have the shortest wires, less than 2ft for one, almost 3ft for other. Thanks for your help, I don't want to get a gauge that would be too thin or inappropriate for my setup.

ETA: TY for link, reading it now.
And I learned some thing I didn't know, " (T)he longer the wire, the greater its internal resistance. So if you have wires of different length, less power will reach the speaker through the longer wire. It can create an audible difference." Oooops! I've been doing it wrong.

Another ETA: I think I'm going to go with the 16 gauge wiring, as I have 8 ohm speakers, and now that I know I need equal lengths for each speaker system, I'm gonna buy a lot. Thanks for the link, ellory

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017