• filter:

Best place to buy inexpensive MS Office suite

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Looking to purchase Office Professional 2010 or higher from a reputable dealer. Worried license won't work if I buy it off eBay. Would like to have actual disc. Where do you suggest I look? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Office 365 is a monthly subscription and is pretty cheap.

Libre Office is completely free and is more than enough for most people.

rated:
As minidrag pointed out, Office 365 is monthly-subscription-based.  In my world, this makes it outrageously expensive, not cheap.

Check with your employer, see if they participate in the HUP (Home Use Program, I think).  I was able to get Office 2010 for $10 this way.

Also if you are a student, or have a child who is a student, check with the school to see if they have a cheap version.  Back when I was in college in the 90s I was able to get various Microsoft softwares, including Office, for dirt cheap.

rated:
ChinaRider said:   As minidrag pointed out, Office 365 is monthly-subscription-based.  In my world, this makes it outrageously expensive, not cheap.

That all depends on how you are looking at it.  Home is $99 per year and allows for 5 users.  The business version is 1 user with 5 installs, but the Home is for up to 5 different Users.  When comparing prices it's important to remember that 5 count, so you can do a fair apples to apples comparison.  Of course, if you only need one copy that 5 count won't be worth any extra cost.

It also makes sure you always have the latest version, so you won't be buying a full new copy in a few years, to keep up to date.  If you don't care about being up to date, that doesn't matter.

But paying per year means a lower up front cost, which for some people is very important.  You have to keep paying if you want to keep using, though, which will eventually add up.

Home & Business 2016 is the cheapest standalone version, but is missing several apps included in O365 Home.

Step one is figuring out what you actually need from Office.  Do you need Outlook?  Publisher?  Just Word?  Can you make do with the free Libre Office?

rated:
ChinaRider said:   
Also if you are a student, or have a child who is a student, check with the school to see if they have a cheap version.  Back when I was in college in the 90s I was able to get various Microsoft softwares, including Office, for dirt cheap.

Many schools have moved to O365 which allows the student to get a free copy.  But it's a per User license, so a parent / sibling probably won't be able to get away with using it.

rated:
minidrag said:   

Libre Office is completely free and is more than enough for most people.

rated:
wps office

rated:
I will suggest to search the web to find the cheapest subscription you can have.

rated:
Thanks for sharing this! free one will be most helpful.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017