Retrieving files from a CD

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I recently transferred work centers. Being a public servant, I am unable to connect a flash drive to a government computer in order to save documents which would be helpful at my new location. So, I copied many files/folders onto a CD-R. After inserting the disc into my computer at my new work center, the D-drive informs me that it is "empty." Another work computer repeats that status while a third suggested that two discs were inserted - neither containing files (but one did indicate that space was occupied).

Taking the disc home, my laptop repeated the "empty" drive condition.

There is no means for me to retrieve the documents apart from this disc; is there any other means to which I could attempt to convince a computer content exists on this disc AND be able to access said content? If not, I will proceed to recreate every file from scratch, something that will cost U.S. taxpayers more than I care to admit.

Thank you.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Seems like you wrote but didn't verify it. Could be an out of alignment drive. Could be you forgot to finalize it

Next time, a good computer habit, is to verify that you have a good write

Google "cd recovery tools". There are some out there, though a quick glance doesn't show anything that looks like a sure bet. Then again, what have you got to lose?

So you are a government employee who wants to remove/steal files from a government computer which they obviously don't want removed/stolen (unable to write to a flash drive) and you are asking the fine folks here at FW to be conspirators?  Really? Really?  If the files are provably your exclusive property, why not just ask for them instead of trying to sneak them off?  I HOPE THEY CATCH YOU.

The simplest reason why the CD doesn't work is because you could not burn it completely. After you have drag the files to the CD you must click the option to burn them to the CD.

Personally I would use cloud-based storage like Dropbox to upload the files and then access them at the new location

corpse101 said:   The simplest reason why the CD doesn't work is because you could not burn it completely. After you have drag the files to the CD you must click the option to burn them to the CD.

Personally I would use cloud-based storage like Dropbox to upload the files and then access them at the new location

If OP had no USB access do you really think he has Cloud options?

Is there no IT department that can help you with moving files to your new location?

Had it just been on your work computers, I'd say they have the CD drives disabled.

Since it's also at home, it's probably a bad write.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017