TM-AC1900 (Asus RT-N66) DHCP Reservation Config

Archived From: Technology
  • Page :
  • Text Only
rated:
I have a T-Mobile TM-AC1900 router which is basically an Asus RT-N66 and I am trying to setup DHCP IP reservations for a number of devices on my network.  On my previous router, an Actiontec when I had FIOS I could assign devices by MAC to a specific IP but still have other devices (guests etc) log in and obtain an IP from the rest of the DHCP pool. 

On this router it seems to be ALL OR NONE.  If I activate "manually assigned IP around DHCP list"  every device must be listed to get a specific IP assigned and DHCP doesn't get assigned to any unlisted devices so they go off-line.  Is there somewhere else to do this on this router?  I've looked through all the menus and can't seem to find it. Maybe I am missing something obvious.

Only Com-Crap available here for any speeds above 10Mbps.  Do I ever miss Fios! 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

LAN config
Disclaimer
According to the manual, you do that under Advanced Settings -> LAN, at the bottom of that screen.

Correct, but as I mentioned in my OP when I do that it completely turns off DHCP for all devices that I do NOT want a IP address pre-assigned for. It's either "all pre-assigned or none." I have had many other routers where that is not the case. I am able to assign what I want and leave the rest of the DHCP pool available for other devices.

That can't be as intended. I have one but have not set it up yet. Are your manually assigned IP addresses within the DHCP range listed on that config page?  Are you checking "Yes" for Enable Manual Assignment?

Yes to both. As soon as I click "YES" for enable manual assignment every other device (that has no manual assignment) immediately goes off line. Tried it dozens of times.

Will it allow you to enter the assigned IPs without checking the enable manual assignment option?

I know I'm just throwing darts here, so my apologies if this isn't helpful.

Just assign the devices manually directly. You don't need to do it within the router.
Then ensure the device assignment is outside the DHCP assignment range

comprx said:   Will it allow you to enter the assigned IPs without checking the enable manual assignment option?

I know I'm just throwing darts here, so my apologies if this isn't helpful.

No.  Tried that too. 

ellory said:   Just assign the devices manually directly. You don't need to do it within the router.
Then ensure the device assignment is outside the DHCP assignment range

If I had wanted static IP's I'd have done that.     There is a difference as I assume you are aware between static IP and DHCP reservation by MAC. 

Please explain the difference

There's only one that I'm aware of. If you reset the remote device for some reason, a reservation will put that device back on the IP you want. Without a reservation a reset will go back to the default of getting an IP automatically, which will mean a different (DHCP assigned) IP.

That's the reason we use reservations for our printers and servers at work. They are all set with static IPs, but we also add a reservation, just in case something weird happens.

That's what my reading said too. Seems to have little benefit in a home environment, especially when the router doesn't cooperate

ellory said:   Please explain the difference
  I had a whole long reply typed in but due to physical limitations I accidentally bumped the "back" key on my keyboard and lost it.

Anyway when I have more time I'll try and retype but in case you don't know the difference Google can be your friend but basically I have devices like laptops & tablets & phones that move from network to network that I use DHCP address reservation for on the router and do not set the IP static in the device itself because if it is set as STATIC it won't work on another network unless that other network happens to be using the identical IP range. Using reservation (by MAC) when the devices get back to MY network they pick up the address I want them to be assigned. All that plus I prefer configuring IP's from the router rather than per device. 

This is the best explanation: http://lifehacker.com/5822605/how-to-set-up-dhcp-reservations-so... 

http://serverfault.com/questions/544619/static-ip-vs-dhcp-reserv... 
https://superuser.com/questions/811156/dhcp-reservation-vs-static-ip-address 

MisterEd said:   
  I had a whole long reply typed in but due to physical limitations I accidentally bumped the "back" key on my keyboard and lost it.

Anyway when I have more time I'll try and retype but in case you don't know the difference Google can be your friend but basically I have devices like laptops & tablets & phones that move from network to network that I use DHCP address reservation for on the router and do not set the IP static in the device itself because if it is set as STATIC it won't work on another network

Ah.  That makes sense.  Well, sort of.  I mean, I get why static won't work if the device goes from network to network.  Is there a reason you need them to be static, though?  Generally speaking phones don't need the same IP all the time.

MisterEd said:   

If you use Firefox, you may want to look at this add-on.  If you don't, you may want to think about it so you can use this add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-reco...

minidrag said:   
MisterEd said:   

If you use Firefox, you may want to look at this add-on.  If you don't, you may want to think about it so you can use this add-on

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/lazarus-form-recovery/

Thank You! 

I had problems with an xbox as well, where it didn't like being assigned a static but using a reserved DHCP address worked fine. I still haven't figured our why, and it really makes no sense. It just refused to connect with a static IP.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017