• filter:

New Router Suggestions

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I need a new router.  My Asus RT-N66U seems to have bit the dust.  While I play with it to see if I can revive it I'm using an old spare.  Neither one really gives me the wireless performance I want.

Do any of you have suggestions for a router that excels at strength of wireless signal?  I've tried all the third party software in years past (DDWRT, Tomato) but have never really been happy with wireless.

I don't need bells and whistles, I just want a strong signal.  Any specific recommendations?  Assuming this one really is dead I'm going to need a new one so figured I'd ask you guys.

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The NT66 is a N900 router, you might need to upgrade to the N1300 (like the RTAC68P) series or if all else fails go to Engenius series.

Note, if you connecting on 2.4 that's the limit of the range, the N900 has the same range on both the 5.0 and 2.4 bands but the N1300 has a more powerful 5.0 band range.

rated:
I upgraded to a Netgear WNDR4500 with dd wrt last year. It increased my house signal strength significantly

rated:
Thanks for the responses...

Regarding the N1300, I understood 5GHz to have a shorter range than 2.4.  Are you saying one of the strengths of the N1300 is that it somehow increases the range of the 5GHz signal?

For the WNDR4500, with the DDWRT firmware are you running default settings or did you jack up the Tx power or something else?

I'll probably pick up each this weekend from local stores to see which works best.

Do they make 'commercial' routers that are indisputably superior in wifi range (albeit at a higher price)?  Or is that wishful thinking and the reason commercial establishments have good range is due to well-placed repeaters?

I have always loathed wireless.  Sadly it's being relied upon at my home more and more each year as my kids get older.  I know you can turn it into a science with measurements but for the average user it's such a pain to troubleshoot.  Wish I had a can of something I could spray and it would locate my bottlenecks in the air like a spy movie with laser alarms!

rated:
ChinaRider said:   Wish I had a can of something I could spray and it would locate my bottlenecks in the air like a spy movie with laser alarms!
This software will help you map out the signal strength of an area. I don't see a freeware version on the developer's website, so maybe this is the last freeware version?

inSSIDer 3.1.2.1 

rated:
How well your WiFi works at home depends on a good number of things. Do you live in a congested neighborhood with a lot of other routers nearby? How many other routers can you pick up besides your own when you scan?

If you live in a rural area and can't pick up many or any other routers, stick to 2.4GHZ, because it does carry better through walls etc. than 5GHZ does.

But if you live in a congested area with many other routers broadcasting, try 5GHZ, because there is likely to be much less nearby interference. I live in a congested area, and 5GHZ works great for me. My router is upstairs, and I usually connect downstairs, and I get fantastic connection speeds and throughput. I'm using an old Linksys/Cisco E3000 dual band 802.11n router with Tomato firmware. My wireless connections are extremely reliable.

I have worked in homes where the WiFi is inexplicably poor, even though the distance from router to device isn't that great and it was a rural area where 2.4GHZ ought to work well. I've always assumed it was something about the construction of the home or too many walls in between or something. Sometimes a repeater can help. (I have made them with old routers and DD-WRT - seems to work better than Tomato, though I prefer Tomato for most everything else.) Sometimes you can tweak the router or even reposition it. Also look for other local sources of 2.4GHZ interference - other devices, cordless phones, etc.

rated:
So I've been looking for a replacement and came across the Netgear that ellory recommended.

NetGear WNDR4500 

It's from Google Express.  Never heard of Google Express before tonight.  Seems legit enough from what I read in the past 30 minutes but then why is the price so much cheaper than I can find elsewhere?

Is this a deal?  If so I'll post it over in Hot Deals to spread the word...  I don't shop much online, I feel out of my element and this seems too good to be true.

Edit to add: I saw something about order substitution if something wasn't available but I also saw 'no substitutions' for this item.  What I didn't see was any mention of new or refurbished.

rated:
I would consider the Netgear R6300v2 instead. You can buy a  used model for only $29.99 on Amazon.  Most people think it is better than the 4500.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017