• filter:

Win7 error: USB Device Not Recognized

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Win7 Pro, sp1

Since Sunday I have been getting this error message:  One of the USB devices attached to this computer has malfunctioned and Windows does not recognized it."

The only USB device I have is an old scanner (Canon LIDE 30).  I don't use it much; and the scanner is not plug in and out either.  I pull it out and re-plug it in -- to no avail.  I still get that error message.   So I don't understand what is the real problem.

Then I installed all Win7 important updates.  I also unplug the scanner; and left it out.  I am still getting that error message.

So what is that error really telling me?  That there is a problem with that USB port on the motherboard???  If yes, I assume that other USB ports would still be working???

If yes, how do I stop that error message?

TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Try your USB mouse or keyboard, if those work then it's the scanner

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Try your USB mouse or keyboard, if those work then it's the scanner
My mouse & keyboard are not USB devices.  As I mentioned, the only USB device on my PC  is the Scanner.  And I still get that error message after I disconnect the scanner.

rated:
If I were in your shoes I would start with NirSoft's USBDeview.  This utility shows all the USB devices that have ever been connected to your computer.  You can see information and also remove the history.

So I would unplug all USB devices currently connected, run USBDeview and clear everything out (you can delete each record) and then see if you still get the error message with no USB devices connected.  If so, it's either a Windows/driver issue or a hardware issue.

If you don't get the error message, then start plugging your devices back in one at a time to see what happens.

rated:
Unplug the scanner and reboot the computer. If you still get the message, either you have another USB device plugged in, or something's screwy with the USB drivers. Uninstall them and reboot. Windows will reinstall them and that should fix the problem.

rated:
ChinaRider said:   If I were in your shoes I would start with NirSoft's USBDeview.  This utility shows all the USB devices that have ever been connected to your computer.  You can see information and also remove the history.

So I would unplug all USB devices currently connected, run USBDeview and clear everything out (you can delete each record) and then see if you still get the error message with no USB devices connected.  If so, it's either a Windows/driver issue or a hardware issue.

If you don't get the error message, then start plugging your devices back in one at a time to see what happens.

I ran the USBDeview.  Under "Connected" column, they all show "No".  There are 4 entries for the Canon Scanner:

Port_#0004.Hub_#0001
Port_#0001.Hub_#0001
Port_#0005.Hub_#0003
Port_#0004.Hub_#0003
Port_#0006.Hub_#0003

I right click on them and click on "Disconnect Selected Devices".  I didn't find any options to delete those lines.

Is this all I need to do -- so that after I reboot, I can plug my scanner back in?

TIA

rated:
You want to 'Uninstall Selected Devices.'  That's how you 'delete' them.

If I understand it correctly, that will force it to reinstall the driver the next time you plug that device in to your computer.

After you do this, if that doesn't fix the problem, your next step (in my opinion) would be to uninstall your USB device drivers from Windows as Flatbob suggested.  You do this via Device Manager.

rated:
ChinaRider said:   You want to 'Uninstall Selected Devices.'  That's how you 'delete' them.

If I understand it correctly, that will force it to reinstall the driver the next time you plug that device in to your computer.

After you do this, if that doesn't fix the problem, your next step (in my opinion) would be to uninstall your USB device drivers from Windows as Flatbob suggested.  You do this via Device Manager.

I "Uninstalled" the scanner last night; and today I plug the scanner back in.  So far no errors.  If it comes up again, I'll uninstall the USB device drivers from the Device Manager.

Thank you all for your help.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017