• filter:

Firefox -- Restore Session information

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Firefox v53 (latest).  My Firefox  crashes OFTEN.  I had multiple [firefox] windows open and multiple tabs in each window.

I have started a NEW firefox session with one tab and it hasn't crashed yet.  And I read somewhere that it could be one of the sites that is causing the crashes.

When Firefox crashes, sometimes a Restore Session Window would pop up which states that it is embarrassing that it can't restore the sessions and list the windows and tabs and ask which ones I want to restore.

I think that info. is in the "sessionstore-backups" folder.  But the recovery file is a *.js (javascript(?)) file.  How can I get the info in that file in readable format?  So that I can start from scratch and rebuilt those windows/tabs and see which one is causing the problem.

TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
You sure you aren't running out of memory or disk io? Keep a Task Manager open

rated:
forbin4040 said:   You sure you aren't running out of memory or disk io? Keep a Task Manager open
  No, I have 8GB of RAM and Firefox was using about 2.5 GB.  And CPU usage is around 15-20% (under the Performance tab).  

rated:
confused200 said:     Firefox was using about 2.5 GB.
That is A LOT of RAM for Firefox to be using. Maybe one of the add-ons or plugins has a memory leak.

rated:
Flatbob said:   
That is A LOT of RAM for Firefox to be using. Maybe one of the add-ons or plugins has a memory leak.

As I mentioned in my OP, I have started a new session of Firefox -- with 2 windows with 5 tabs each since yesterday -- with the same set of addons and pluggins -- with no crashes so far.  But I like to go back to my previous sessions of windows/addons.  And in order to do that, I need the info stored in recovery.js.  How can I get the info in that file in readable format?  So that I can start from scratch and rebuilt those windows/tabs and see which one is causing the problem.

TIA

rated:
confused200 said:   
Flatbob said:   

As I mentioned in my OP, I have started a new session of Firefox -- with 2 windows with 5 tabs each since yesterday -- with the same set of addons and pluggins -- with no crashes so far.  But I like to go back to my previous sessions of windows/addons.  And in order to do that, I need the info stored in recovery.js.  How can I get the info in that file in readable format?  So that I can start from scratch and rebuilt those windows/tabs and see which one is causing the problem.

TIA

Try doing a search using your favorite search engine, or ask the question at the Mozilla forums.

rated:
I second the Mozilla forums.  They're very active and you should be able to get a solid answer in no time.

rated:
You've tried a refresh of Firefox to bring it back to a clean install?

rated:
Flatbob said:   
confused200 said:   
Flatbob said:   

TIA

Try doing a search using your favorite search engine, or ask the question at the Mozilla forums.

Thanks for the suggestion.  I found a script/extension that does that.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017