• filter:

Outlook 2010 IMAP not getting new mails until I click on them.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I was cruising the net for years to see if there was a 'concrete' solution to this but can't find one.

I come in today  to my main pc which is logged into outlook and an IMAP server (Godaddy, but it happens to other companies as well).
It says '0 New Messages'
At 9:26, When I click on 'Sent' box, and click back on 'Inbox' it now says '6 new messages'.  These messages were sent over 4 hours ago.

I turned on logging just to be safe and it shows that my IMAP server last checked the box on Friday at 2:30PM, then the next Box check is Monday at 9:05AM.   (Shows about 100 lines of activity)
Then there is an entry for 9:26 with over 1000 lines of activity.

Does anyone know a work around to force IMAP to sync properly?  I heard it was a problem with Godaddy, but another IMAP server I'm connecting to has this issue as well so I'm suspecting Outlook

I'm using Outlook 2010 with Ports 993 and 465 as my connectors.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
The most common cause that I've seen is a corrupt profile. I'd backup to PST (just to be safe) then remove the Outlook profile and create a new one.

rated:
Oh, I'd also stop using Office 2010 if at all possible. It's very outdated and not nearly as secure as the more current versions.

rated:
minidrag said:   Oh, I'd also stop using Office 2010 if at all possible. It's very outdated and not nearly as secure as the more current versions.

It has less rendering problems with simple HTML than every single version released after it.  I've done a lot of testing last year, using Litmus types of sites where you see what the HTML looks like on different machines (androids, macs, ipads, iphones, windows pcs...) and different software and even different browsers using different webmail sites.  The newer Outlooks were the most problematic.

Basically, I'd have a very difficult time paying for the newer Office products when the older ones work so much better.  I run the latest version of office on my work machines, but I wouldn't dare install it on my home PC's until I have to.  Just saving files now is a drag as it tries to guide you into saving to the cloud instead of locally by making local saves an extra unnecessary click or two.  No, Microsoft, I don't want everything on OneDrive.  I keep getting rid of it and it comes back like herpes.  (I realize pro allows you to hide it with a registry change)

rated:
You can change the Save preferences so that OneDrive is not an option, without actually removing the OneDrive app.

I guess I don't get a lot of weird HTML email. Everything I get looks fine in Outlook 2016.

rated:
I'll try redoing the profile. I've seen it happen a LOT for IMAP (Never on Exchange or POP) but I don't think that's going to solve it.

BTW What's wrong with 2010 for security?  I'm not aware of any major issues (Ex : Wannacry is XP based)

rated:
minidrag said:   You can change the Save preferences so that OneDrive is not an option, without actually removing the OneDrive app.

I guess I don't get a lot of weird HTML email. Everything I get looks fine in Outlook 2016.

If you don't have Pro, then Microsoft pretty much makes OneDrive come back like a bad case of herpes on every update

In Outlook.  Many rendering errors go unnoticed.  The designer of the email would notice it, but typically not the person reading it.  If you want your emails to look exactly as intended, then Outlook is one of the worst products out there.  Maybe something is missing that you don't know about.  Maybe something is clipped, and thought of as intentional.  Thin lines become thick lines...  some things may have more padding than desired...  I still do use Outlook though, for other reasons such as preferring the interface.

I don't like to spend $$$ on something that has no visible benefit over what I currently have.  This is more the case when the only noticeable changes are downgrades.  You can argue that 2016 has so many more things, but if I don't use them those features just become bloat.

Per the save dialog, I'm including a screenshot.  Favorite save places should be on the left.  What happens when you click "Add A Place"?  Oh, just microsoft cloud.  That's it.  If I want to save to my PC, I have to hit "This PC" and browse or "Browse" and browse.  The older version is better.  I realize it's not that big of a deal, but I can come up with other examples of downgrades and nothing for upgrades.  

forbin4040 said:   BTW What's wrong with 2010 for security?  I'm not aware of any major issues (Ex : Wannacry is XP based)
The thing to worry about with Office 2010 is that it is Microsoft Office. 2010 is no longer getting security bug fixes.  Microsoft Office has been notorious for making computers vulnerable to viruses.  The worst was when they made your web browser able to get a virus just from looking at an image on a web page. 

rated:
Is that image from Outlook or a different Office application?

rated:
This is what I get when I Save As in Word 2016

rated:
minidrag said:   This is what I get when I Save As in Word 2016
  He was on 'Add a Place'

rated:
I guess I didn't understand, then. I thought his point was that it kept going to OneDrive and he couldn't set it to a local drive as default. Mine goes to a local drive as default.

rated:
minidrag said:   This is what I get when I Save As in Word 2016

What if you want to save it to your desktop or a different location...   It's more work than it used to be.  Sometimes I want it to go to my documents.  Sometimes I want to save stuff to the desktop.  It's a less pleasant user experience.  Instead you have one drive or cloud storage shoved in your face.

When the upgrade is worse than the version you are currently using, it's hard to justify paying a lot of money for it.  That said, security is a concern and ms office has a horrible history with security.  I dunno...  

rated:
minidrag said:   I guess I didn't understand, then. I thought his point was that it kept going to OneDrive and he couldn't set it to a local drive as default. Mine goes to a local drive as default.

I was showing in the picture that you should be able to add things to the left, such as both Documents and Desktop, for example.  I gave an explanation.

rated:
OK, sorry I misunderstood. I guess I was just stuck on the onedrive not going away that you had said before.

You can disable the onedrive in the list there, though. Options, Save, Don't show backstage and also uncheck Show Additional.

You are correct that there is no way to add a 'place' that's local. You have to Browse to other locations. The closest you can get, that I know of, is to hit F12 instead of clicking Save As. That will show an Explorer box with your Libraries and Favorites visible and easy to select.

rated:
forbin4040 said:    (Ex : Wannacry is XP based)

I just noticed this.  Hopefully, by now, you know that's not true.  It hit more Windows 7 machines than XP, though both were vulnerable if not patched.  You are certainly correct that it wasn't an Office issue, though.

rated:
minidrag said:   
  I just noticed this.  Hopefully, by now, you know that's not true.  It hit more Windows 7 machines than XP, though both were vulnerable if not patched.  You are certainly correct that it wasn't an Office issue, though.

Just saw that too that on Friday they said Windows 7 machines were mostly affected.  Well that blows my mind that XP is not as common in the government as I thought.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
minidrag said:   

Just saw that too that on Friday they said Windows 7 machines were mostly affected.  Well that blows my mind that XP is not as common in the government as I thought.

I think it's a mix of that and that where XP is in use it's more controlled, not given as much free access to networks as 7, because we know it's vulnerable.  I know a lot of companies that still have XP due to industrial machine controllers, but those boxes aren't allowed access to anything other than that specific machine.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017