• filter:

Need help buying replacement laptop battery

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
I have a Toshiba Satellite on which battery life has dwindled to less than an hour.
New pop up now tells me to replace the battery.
I searched and prices vary from $20-$50.  Why the large range?  Is buying more expensive better?
Yes, the laptop is worth $50 to me.  
Thanks.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Because some people sell the batteries at full price and some sell it at wholesale. Also some people sell used batteries and title them as new.

No different than buying anything on eBay.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Because some people sell the batteries at full price and some sell it at wholesale. Also some people sell used batteries and title them as new.

No different than buying anything on eBay

I was looking on Amazon.  If I read the fine print I should be ok, right?

rated:
Keep in mind that some sellers sell poorly-made replacement batteries, sometimes even going so far as to forge trademarks and such onto the label. Even when buying on Amazon, these are coming from third-party sellers, sometimes fly-by-night operations.

The only batteries of guaranteed quality are those from the original OEM through official retailers/listings. Others are going to be a crap shoot, but keep in mind you often get what you pay for.

rated:
Looks like Toshiba doesn't sell batteries, only power adapters.
Looks like the more expensive batteries are 12 cell vs original 6 cell and that the 12 cell is larger so the laptop ends up tilted a little.

rated:
Toshiba sells replacement batteries:
http://us.toshiba.com/accessory-finder#4294963323+4294963308%7E1...

I see 6 cell and 9 cell ones that they sell. 12 cell might be a third-party thing to add more capacity, at the expense of it not being flush with the laptop anymore, hence the height.

rated:
funny, when I typed in Batteries it didn't bring up any.  Guess "null" was the trick.
I guess its like car parts; can go to the dealership or go to local garage that you trust.   Can get original car parts or similar.
I take new car to dealership, 15 yr old car to local garage.  I guess the same should apply here.

Other than battery life is there anything else of concern?  
Junk battery won't hurt innards, right?  
Sorry to sound so dense.  I've never replaced a laptop battery-- desktop battery yes but not laptop.  Desktop batteries are more straightforward.

rated:
Junk batteries can cause FIRES.

If I was buying on Amazon I would
1) Buy on Prime
2) Buy from a guy who's been around (good reviews)
3) Test it immediately and watch it for a good few hours
4) remove the battery and let it sit in a outdoor place for a day
5) Test it again.

rated:
I've bought plenty of after market batteries and never had a problem. Some had less capacity than the original, but they were also 1/4 of the price. The truth is there are relatively few battery manufacturers. There's a good chance an aftermarket one might be made on the same exact line as the OEM ones.

rated:
drodge said:   I've bought plenty of after market batteries and never had a problem..
As a counter point, I've had some bad experiences with after market batteries, especially on the cheaper end. Mostly issues with longevity, the batteries wouldn't last nearly as long, but there are other risks as well. forbin4040 wasn't exaggerating when he stated that poorly constructed batteries can catch fire. Remember Samsung's issues with the Note 7? They're a billion dollar company; what are the odds some no-name direct-from-China battery has the same level of quality control?

rated:
Try to check online buy & sell but make sure you will get as good as new or brand new battery.

rated:
I'm thinking I'll go with this one.  Anyone see any red flags?

rated:
looks good to me

rated:
The counter to buying OEM batteries is that many of them sit on shelves for years. That's one of the worst thing you can possibly do to a battery. If it's possible, ask for the manufacture date before buying.

rated:
When the OEM goes for $100-$150, I chance it with the $50 battery. It's worked out every time so far. I do, however, buy from places with good reputation.

I'd prefer OEM, but too often it's at gouging prices.  

Anecdotally, I know of 3 people who had serious battery incidents last year.  Two had seriously bulging batteries.  One ended up having their office burned down.  I believe that all were Apple devices and all were OEM.  Don't know what to say about that.  I still do trust OEM more...

If you aren't buying from an authorized distributor, then you never know what you are going to get.  There's mixed inventory with the knockoffs.  I've seen B&M stores selling knockoffs.  Amazon also has mixed inventory.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017