• filter:

Unusual problems with Yahoo email in the last couple of months, maybe related to the sale

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Mainly just sharing information, don't really need "help" or advice as such, just pointing out something that people may want to check into, if they also have Yahoo email accounts...

I - and some of my relatives whom I help with computer-type stuff - have longstanding Yahoo email accounts of various types
(along with having a couple of other companies' email accounts -- gmail and hotmail/outlook --
we realize that Yahoo has been going downhill for a long time, but our old Yahoo addresses were so widely used at one point in our lives that stopping using them entirely would have been hard to do).

We have run into unusual problems with Yahoo recently and I was just wondering if other people have experienced them too. 

For example -

The automatic forwarding from Yahoo to another email account stopped entirely in June for no discernible reason, even though it's worked fine for years.  When they noticed they were not getting expected emails, I logged in to check the forwarding and to re-do the same instruction, and it seems to be working okay since then.

The Yahoo account suddenly started to classify as "spam" some emails from addresses that it has allowed through for years, for no discernible reason.
It was even classifying emails sent from from ITS OWN ADDRESS (as a test) as spam.

There have been no breaches of the account and no unusual log-ins, but the log-in password that worked for it in June (when I logged in to fix the auto-forwarding) stopped working yesterday for no discernible reason, and I had to reset the password using the "text by cell phone" method.

My relatives' Yahoo account (though not mine) was originally an AT&T account (with an ATT.net ending) that AT&T had transferred over to Yahoo years ago, but after Yahoo's sale last month, it seems to be behaving a bit strangely -- when I was in the Yahoo account yesterday, and I clicked on the "help" link, instead of being taken to the normal Yahoo help pages, I was repeatedly taken to the AT&T "WIRELESS" webpage, nothing to do with email help. 

After I had used the "text by cell phone" method to get into the account (when it told me that the password that had worked last month was now invalid), when I was in the Yahoo email account and clicked the link to "reset password", instead of giving me a normal Yahoo account page which I think it used to do, it sent me to the main AT&T log-in page for my relative's cell phone/wireless AT&T account, and I had to log in to that AT&T account to try to reset the Yahoo email password, so I ended up not knowing which passwords exactly were being reset, whether it is now considered that the Yahoo email and the AT&T Wireless plan have the same password, or what.  (Previously, my relative had used different log-in passwords for those 2 companies:  I keep an Excel sheet of all this stuff, and no one edits it or changes passwords for those relatives besides me, no one even logs into those accounts besides me, so I'm sure about this.) 

They had a secondary email address that they had created long ago that piggybacked on the Yahoo address and was linked by Yahoo to that account (and only that account) -- for example, if their main Yahoo email address was something like:
JosephandBarbara@yahoo.com
in the past, Yahoo allowed them to make up a "pretend", secondary email address that would be treated exactly the same by Yahoo, something like:
JoeandBarb2ndAccount@yahoo.com
The fact that they had this linked address was always mentioned in their Yahoo account settings, and via the drop-down arrow of the "send" line, they were always able to choose to have an email appear to be sent from that secondary/linked address instead of from the original Yahoo email address --  but now, that drop-down option is gone from the "send" line, and there is no mention of the secondary/linked address whatsoever in the Yahoo account settings (nor in the AT&T account settings).  It's like it's totally disappeared.
However, when I send an email to that secondary address, the email shows up in the main Yahoo address' inbox.
So you can send emails to it, but you can't send emails from it, nor can you choose to delete it as a secondary address, or to replace it with a different "pretend" address (as long as it wasn't being used as a real Yahoo email address by somebody else, you could replace it a certain number of times) -- which we used to be able to do, as far as I remember.

Plus, I sent some test emails to the Yahoo main address from their frequently-used and years-old Outlook email address, and most of them went into the Yahoo account's spam folder even though they were simple and safe.  So we can't rely on the email forwarding from Yahoo like we used to - it seems pretty patchy now.

So I don't know, it seems like maybe the buyer of Yahoo has dumped some of the responsibility for the orginally-AT&T email accounts back onto AT&T, which is not equipped to handle that? 

===
I haven't yet investigated my own Yahoo account this month since the sale was announced, but it's had problems earlier this year, and in recent years. 
It was not originally an AT&T account, but was originally a foreign phone company's email account which was abandoned as an orphan type of unsupported service by Yahoo-Europe years ago (even though I have always had to pay an annual subscription for it, and still do), yet which I rely on for historical reasons much more than my relatives have relied on their old standby Yahoo account, so I am dreading the effort of completely sorting through its files there and completely replacing it with a new system.

Member Summary
Staff Summary

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017