• filter:

reinstalling Windows 10

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Hi all,

I"m not sure if it is a right place to ask, if it's in wrong place, mod please move it. Thx.
It would be great and much appreciate if someone could give me some clues what to do next.
Anyway, I had a HP PC running Windows 7 and at some point, it got upgraded to Windows 10, I now want to reinstall Windows 10 OS as fresh but no clue where to go from here.
I don't have the original Windows OS disc. 

I'm an old fashion guy that I used to: burn the OS in CD/DVD disc, pop it in the optical drive, set BIOS to boot from CD drive and from there I can reformat all drives and start from the beginning.
But that, again, required a physical disc which I don't have now.
There is a drive/partition in PC called "RECOVERY" or something but I don't know how to get to it or recover from it.
I did try (to reinstall) on my other laptop and that "RECOVERY" drive didn't seem to do anything which I ended up have to use physical disc.

Thanks everybody

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:

rated:
Windows Icon (lower left) -> Settings -> Update & Security -> Recovery -> Reset this PC (or More recovery options).

Back up any important files, etc. before starting. 

rated:
Can mod please move my thread to Tech forum?

Thanks morecowbell

@NoMoney, I'll try that option but unsure if it would work or not and even if it does, will it go back to Windows 7?

rated:
You can also download the Windows 10 .iso  here

Skip the part where it asks for the activation key. Once installed, input your Windows 7 activation key (it might not "take" immediately, but become "verified" after a day or two).

By the way, anyone reading this, you can still upgrade free to Windows 10 by doing the above as long as you choose the correct 7->10 versions (Home or Pro).

rated:
mom2jel said:   You can also download the Windows 10 .iso  here 

Skip the part where it asks for the activation key. Once installed, input your Windows 7 activation key (it might not "take" immediately, but become "verified" after a day or two).

By the way, anyone reading this, you can still upgrade free to Windows 10 by doing the above as long as you choose the correct 7->10 versions (Home or Pro).

I must be blind cuz I cannot find a link to download .iso anywhere  from the link you provided  
I only get the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool, not the OS .iso file

rated:
Oh, btw, thanks to mod who moved my thread to Tech forum.
Appreciate!

rated:

1) downloading the latest build via MCT is the way to go
2) you don't need to enter a key because your machine is already licensed for 10 - just click on skip when asked.  When you get back on the Internet your PC will check in with MS and find your license.
3) the free upgrade ended over a year ago.  It works because those using assistive technologies are still allowed to have it for free.  Anyone else upgrading for free is breaking their licensing.  You may not care about licensing, but I think it's important to be aware that what you are doing is no considered legit, by MS.

rated:
pianoCM said:   

I must be blind cuz I cannot find a link to download .iso anywhere  from the link you provided  

Yes, that's what you want.  The MCT creates either an ISO or a USB for you - it will ask which you want once you've installed the tool.  USB is much faster for installing your OS so I suggest using it.

rated:
minidrag said:   
pianoCM said:   

Yes, that's what you want.  The MCT creates either an ISO or a USB for you - it will ask which you want once you've installed the tool.  USB is much faster for installing your OS so I suggest using it.

Are you saying that I just go ahead download and install the Windows USB/DVD Download Tool and then it will eventually download the OS .iso file itself or at least provide me a link to download at some time later?
  Kind of confusion, apologize for that

rated:
Not quite. You download the MCT program and run it. When you run the program it will ask if you want to make an ISO or a USB. It will then download and create it.

rated:
BTW You will need another windows machine for this to work.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   BTW You will need another windows machine for this to work.
  Only if the current OS isn't working.  Based on the OP I was under the impression that the machine is working, OP just wants a clean install.

You certainly do need a working copy of Windows with Internet access to download the MCT and run it.

rated:
Well, the PC that I want to reformat and fresh-install is OK, still functioning but it's far from "working properly".
I believe it got infected, I still can run a few applications but most are not.
I cannot even get to the Setting screen as lower "Start-like" button isn't working, no internet connection and cannot setup.
That's the reason I want to redo the whole thing.
I'll try to clean it up first but I'd rather reformat and start over.

I wish I have the disc
It's so much better.

rated:
Why do you keep saying that? The link we gave you creates one.

rated:
pianoCM said:   I wish I have the disc
It's so much better.

New ways of doing things are different.  That doesn't always mean worse.  Using the MCT guarantees that you get the newest version of Windows, instead of using a years old disk, installing, then having to spend hour upon hour downloading updates.

rated:
You should upgrade to Windows 7. So much better than 10.

rated:
overclock said:   You should upgrade to Windows 7. So much better than 10.
  Why and how is it better?

rated:
ellory said:   
overclock said:   You should upgrade to Windows 7. So much better than 10.
  Why and how is it better?

Windows 8 was a radically different operating system, but with Windows 10 it brings back the legacy look and feel of Windows 7, whilst maintaining a fast performance 

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017