• filter:

GPU replacement vs. replacing MB, CPU, and GPU after 8+ years

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
My computer has slowly been replaced part by part over the last 12 years or so.

In 2009 I bought a GA-MA770-UD3, AMD x3 CPU, and 8gb RAM. I continued to use my Radeon x800 from 2005. The MB has PCIe 2.0 slot. I have an AMD Truepower 430 watt

Flash forward to 2015. I installed a SSD and windows 10 and it worked well but occasionally my screen would go black. This is a known driver issue in the x800, probably due to the age of the card.

I am completely satisfied with the speed of my machine. What was once a gaming machine is now mostly for multi-tasking web browsing/document editing with rare gaming. But what was once a rare black screen issue has become a regular one.  

I am at the point where I'm unsure if I should just get a modern-ish graphics card that'll work with my old MB or just replace the whole MB/Graphics/RAM set. I'm looking to keep costs down so I'd welcome suggestions of graphics cards that'll last me a while and run two DVI monitors (potentially at the high resolution of 2,560 x 1,080 or more).

Then again, am I just being crazy - and its just as likely a MB problem given that the MB is nearly 8 years old?

Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
It can be either the MB or the Video card. MB's have bad capacitors and Video cards just plain wear out.

So I don't know what to say, if everything is from 2009, you might as well start fresh, MB, CPU, Memory, Video Card.

rated:
if it's a "known driver issue" get over to guru3d.com and see if there is a better driver that addresses this.
your problem could also be a symptom of the power supply, which you might also need for a newer vid card or motherboard swap

perhaps a 960 would be a good option, but you would want a beefier power supply

https://www.amazon.com/PNY-GeForce-GDDR5-Graphics-VCGGTX9602XPB/...

rated:

Flash forward to 2015. I installed a SSD and windows 10

I am at the point where I'm unsure if I should just get a modern-ish graphics card that'll work with my old MB or just replace the whole MB/Graphics/RAM set.

Don't forget that the free 10 Upgrade is registered based on your hardware.  If you replace the MB it's likely that your copy of 10 will become unlicensed.

rated:
If your goal is to keep the cost down, the choice is obvious.

Start with the suggestion by skh12, go see if there is a driver for the Radeon x800 that resolves the issue.  This would be a free fix.

If that doesn't pan out, buy the cheapest PCIe video card you can find.

Replacing everything (mobo, CPU, memory and video card) is going to be substantially more expensive.  And you might have to replace other things as well depending on what hardware you end up with.

rated:
@Forbin - I don't think its the MB because I can see everything when the system POSTs and I can screw around in BIOS. I just see a blank screen once windows loads.

@skh12 - Any suggestion on how to sort through those drivers? I can't figure out what is different about them and searching the site for the x800 comes up with posts from 2005.

Anyone have ideas on how to get into safemode in windows 10 if you can't see the screen?

Thanks!

rated:
I'm considering buying this GT 730 to replace my card. I know its not where my card was in 2005 but my understanding is that it should be at least comprable if not better. And I don't exactly need faster graphics, I just need the computer to work.

Thoughts?

rated:
You're not 100% sure it's your GPU that's causing the problem so buying that new GPU is somewhat of a crapshoot...

Do you have a friend who has a spare card you can try?  For that matter, you could try the card they have in their system even if they don't have a spare... all you need is an hour or two to have a much better idea of whether the issue is your GPU or something else...

That's a pretty old motherboard, it's entirely possible the issue is there instead of with the GPU.

Just saying...

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017