• filter:

Hard Drive or mother board issue?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
rated:
Can you help me figure out how to diagnose where the issue is?

I have a GA-MA770-UD3 motherboard and a OCZ ARC 100 240GB SSD. 

Recently, the computer would POST and then when it should be loading windows 10, it would go black and I'd see nothing. I thought it was likely related to my 15 year old graphics card that had driver issues in Windows 10 and would occasionally present me with a blank screen.

However, I replaced the graphics card and then tried to get into safe mode to fix the drivers. When I was attempting to get into safe mode, I used a few Windows 10 recovery tools and wasn't able to access the hard drive. Similarly, when I explored installing Windows 10, it didn't show my hard drive either. Nonetheless, I see the HD showing on the system's POST screen. 

The hard drive is 2 years old. the motherboard is 8. I haven't had any specific hiccups with either.

I welcome ideas of how to figure out what the issue is here. 

Thanks! 

P.S. I'm fairly tech savvy, running a windows 10 PC with 8 gig of ram (2 DIMMS), Antec Truepower 430 PSU, Nvida 730 (MSI brand). Nothing else is installed. I've done lots of googling on this.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
unplug the HD, boot, it will say 'HD not found'.

Plug in the HD, boot, if it goes to black, then HD is 90%

rated:
Can you play around in the bios? Boot a kaspersy rescue disk?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   unplug the HD, boot, it will say 'HD not found'.

What do you mean the HD is 90%

If its not the HD itself- could it be the mother board generally? Or the specific SATA channels?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   unplug the HD, boot, it will say 'HD not found'.

What do you mean the HD is 90%

If its not the HD itself- could it be the mother board generally? Or the specific SATA channels?

I agree with forbin4040 - if you disconnect the drive and the issue does away, it's very likely that the issue is the drive.  It could be something like the controller, yes, but the drive is the most likely (90%) culprit.

rated:
You mention you thought your 15-year-old graphics card might be faulty so you put in a different one. Can you try using the onboard graphics card for testing purposes?

rated:
Unfortunately the mb doesn't have on board video.

When I unplug the ssd, I get an error saying no boot disk. I tried to use the ocz ssd bootable utility but it seems to freeze immediately.

rated:
Sounds like the SSD broke, that's why the tool freezes up.

rated:
AvatarZ said:   Unfortunately the mb doesn't have on board video.

When I unplug the ssd, I get an error saying no boot disk. I tried to use the ocz ssd bootable utility but it seems to freeze immediately.

Was that after removing the SSD or while it was still connected?

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Sounds like the SSD broke, that's why the tool freezes up.
Agreed.

ETA: Do you have another PC/external dock that you can try it in?

rated:
Flatbob said:   
Agreed.

I have laptops - no other PC with a SATA hookup. I'm going to ask around and see if anyone has a SSD dock I can try out.

Thanks!

rated:
Flatbob said:   
Agreed.

I have laptops - no other PC with a SATA hookup. I'm going to ask around and see if anyone has a SSD dock I can try out.

Thanks!

Many laptops have easy access to the HDD connector, which is probably SATA.  Couldn't hurt to look, anyway.  It may just be a few screws on the bottom, for instance.

rated:
Shot in the dark (blindfolded). One of my older motherboards had similar problems and was not keeping time properly. Turned out the button battery that keeps some functions running even when you pull the house power plug to the PC had to be replaced. It could be that button battery is going out.

rated:
minidrag said:   
Flatbob said:   
Agreed.

Thanks!

Many laptops have easy access to the HDD connector, which is probably SATA.  Couldn't hurt to look, anyway.  It may just be a few screws on the bottom, for instance.

Sorry Minidrag, but going to give you a neg for that.  Putting a possibly fried drive into another laptop is not the wisest idea.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   
minidrag said:   
Flatbob said:   
Agreed.

Thanks!

Sorry Minidrag, but going to give you a neg for that.  Putting a possibly fried drive into another laptop is not the wisest idea.

Risk of the drive damaging the machine is negligible.  Anything is possible, of course, but I used one of my shop PCs for data recovery / testing this way for over 20 years and never had a problem.

rated:
Shop PC and laptop are two different things

Shop PC - Fried HD board, put in new board.
Laptop - Fried HD board.....new laptop.

I've only had 2 cases where the drive was able to fry the controllers, but that made me extra careful.

rated:
So I used a SSD dock and was unable to access the SSD. I contacted OCZ and since its under warranty I'm getting a new HD. I'll see if that fixes the problem.

@JW10 - I thought it might be the issue. I've replaced the battery in the past for this particular MB. But I don't see that as an issue, the BIOS is functioning normally and the time is correct. In the past when the battery was off - those warnings went off.

rated:
HD was the issue - installed the new drive and it worked beautifully. Thankfully nearly everything is on the cloud except a few videos.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017