Contact your lender now for your share of the bailout

Archived From: Finance
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Mortgage help: Do you qualify?

"President Obama's new real estate rescue plan offers two key benefits: More refinancing opportunities and greater chance for a loan modification.

First, the government is aiming to help more homeowners refinance into new low interest rates. Second, it provides incentives to lenders and servicers to restructure your mortgage to more affordable levels. Here's how to know whether you'll likely be able to take advantage of either of these options.

Help for those seeking refinancing

This part of the program targets borrowers who have kept current on their mortgages...

You can contact your lender starting March 4 to see if they are participating in the program."

First of all, I oppose the bailout. But since itís here I want to take full advantage of it. I have a 30-year fixed mortgage with BOA and have no problem with the monthly payment.

I gave my lender Bank of America a call at 1.888.336.6030 today just to see if BOA does in fact participating in the Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan. The loan officer said BOA does. He then put me on hold to check if my loan is owned by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac. It turns out that my No Fee Mortgage Plus loan that I closed with BOA is owned by Fannie Mae!

He said BOA will receive the guidelines from the government within the next 14 days. He then proceeded to get all the personal information that he needs and will contact me very soon. According to him, thereís no need for me to contact any other lenders as the loan modification will be done by BOA since I have my mortgage with them.

He also gave me his name and extension number. In the meanwhile, I need to have my pay stubs, W-2 and two months of bank statements ready. If I can get my rate lower, itís great. If not, oh well ....

Give your lender a call!

Member Summary
Most Recent Posts
Comps right now run $245000. We purchased it much cheaper than their asking price $273000. They already purchased a ho... (more)

deucedown (Mar. 19, 2009 @ 9:29a) |

A Chase mortgage guy I have used before said he received an internal memo stating that on April 6th, details would be av... (more)

jakeru (Mar. 31, 2009 @ 11:50p) |

Hereís an updated data point about this Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan (HASP). I just successfully locked i... (more)

Tyrobi (May. 01, 2009 @ 3:02p) |

Quick Summary is created and edited by users like you... Add FAQ's, Links and other Relevant Information by clicking the edit button in the lower right hand corner of this message.

The official website:
http://www.financialstability.gov/

To determine if you're loan is held by Fannie Mae or Freddie Mac:
1-800-7-FANNIE
1-800-FREDDIE from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. ET.
Fannie Web
Freddie Web

Servicer - Accepting Refinance Applications - Accepting Modification Applications
CitiGroup - June/July - TBD
Downey Savings - April 6 - TBD
SunTrust Mortgage - April 4 - TBD
Wells Fargo - End of March(may be) - TBD

WaMu/Chase - information on three HASP refinance programs available April 6
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Lucky you! I called Wells Fargo today to see if my home loan is backed by either freddie mac or fannie mae. It turned out that my loan is backed by ginnie mae. To my understanding, I cannot take advantage of refi program because of non-backing support by fannie or freddie. I am current with my home loan and have a stable job. I wanted to take advantage of the program to refi my two loans into a single loan.

Tyrobi said:

First of all, I oppose the bailout. But since itís here I want to take full advantage of it.

I am perplexed by these two statements. I understand how they could come out of a politician, but I honestly would like to understand why an average American would make two contradictory statements like that?

As I understand the dissenting opinion to the stimulus, it could be generalized as: "It's bad for America." If an American believed that to be true, then why would they abandon their beliefs at the first sign of taking advantage of it?

Thats how FWF works...the last month has been 100% about complaints about the bailout, and now that its here the next month will be dozens of threads asking how to take advantage of it.

BrainySmurf said: Tyrobi said:

First of all, I oppose the bailout. But since itís here I want to take full advantage of it.

I am perplexed by these two statements. I understand how they could come out of a politician, but I honestly would like to understand why an average American would make two contradictory statements like that?

As I understand the dissenting opinion to the stimulus, it could be generalized as: "It's bad for America." If an American believed that to be true, then why would they abandon their beliefs at the first sign of taking advantage of it?

First I would say know your audience. This is FWF, the place to learn about all the ways you can save/make money and how to best exploit them.

As I see it the OP is against the bailout, well there could be numerous reasons, but the biggest tend to be, higher taxes, and prolongling the problem rather than fixing it. That being said, if you are already going to have your taxes increased because this has already been approved, then even if you do not need it, you would be a fool to not take advantage of it if you could.

Basically the OP is saying "I do not want the bailout, it will screw over the country (or whatever other reason he personally has). However since the country is already screwed (because they passed it) I am certainly going to partake of the feast..."

or something along those lines I would imagine.

Seriously?

It may be bad for America to enact the bailout, but once the bailout is enacted, you can't do anything about it, so you might as well benefit from it..

We have to pay for the bailout, whether we wanted it or not. It makes sense, then, to try to get as much of it as we can. I'll be much happier to see FW members, who are generally productive folks, get it rather than useless deadbeats.

Tyrobi said:

Life is a competition between me and the rest of society. We compete for resources. I would prefer that the playing field be level (no bailout). However, given that the rules have changed (bailout) I am certainly going to take advantage of the rules as they apply to me. I don't see any contradiction here.

nm

BrainySmurf said:

they are not contradictory statements, try reading them again.

I refi'ed in December on my own. Lucky me, I paid the costs to adjust the terms.

>>Steaming Mad<<

The smart people, who didn't need the program to begin with, will nonetheless take advantage of it. The dumb people, who did need the program, will continue in apathy and fail to take advantage.

But the dissenting voice had been largely based on principal- that we are a capitalist nation, etc, etc. Don't you see the hypocrisy in accepting the money? And if you do accept the money, have your principals changed? These are of course rhetorical questions. I am not singling any specific person out here.

If we take advantage of this, how does it affect our credit? I'm thinking that it'll negatively affect it. Can't find any info on if it will or won't. Anyone know??

I pick pennies off the street when i see them I'll be talking with my mortgage guy!

BrainySmurf said: But the dissenting voice had been largely based on principal- that we are a capitalist nation, etc, etc. Don't you see the hypocrisy in accepting the money?most of the people complaining in the prior threads are indeed hypocrites. Not just when it comes to this issue either.

I get blasted for saying to help the homeowners, but at least I am consistent.

i'm not, this whole program is b.s.

And this thread is a futher example of that b.s. Now the bailout is bailing out those that dont need it. phhf. A bunch of fraud/waste just going around.

I'd like to thank the likes of SIS for keeping renters saving up/waiting to buy an affordable house out of those houses, by artifically propping up home values. hope you all burn.

Am I greedy being greedy? yup. At least i'm not in denial over my greed. And hiding behind the 'helping homeowners' crap.

FWF is fast becoming a welfare state. Just keep sucking that goverment tit. Let me know when you go on vacation to, then I can blast you for using bailout funds for trips.

BrainySmurf said: But the dissenting voice had been largely based on principal- that we are a capitalist nation, etc, etc. Don't you see the hypocrisy in accepting the money?

This can actually preserve the principles of capitalism. Everyone who believes in capitalism should take every penny of this money that they can get, thereby reducing the amount available for those who rely on government to provide homes for them. When they realize that the government relief still does not allow them to afford the home, they will find something cheaper or rent. What a valuable lesson we can help teach them.

I am with OP on this one, I have a BoA no fee loan, that I can afford and have never had a problem paying. I also oppose the bailout, but what can we do? Bad behavior is getting rewarded over and over again, and yet it continues. Why are they giving incentives to the lenders who started all of this? I would rather put my hand in the pot, then do nothing, simply because what else can we do? You think because I don't take part it will stop the bailout... not likely.

Vanilla10 said: BrainySmurf said: But the dissenting voice had been largely based on principal- that we are a capitalist nation, etc, etc. Don't you see the hypocrisy in accepting the money?

This can actually preserve the principles of capitalism. Everyone who believes in capitalism should take every penny of this money that they can get, thereby reducing the amount available for those who rely on government to provide homes for them. When they realize that the government relief still does not allow them to afford the home, they will find something cheaper or rent. What a valuable lesson we can help teach them.

Because 2 wrongs make a right?

And this program rewards bad behavior. Message to america: Borrow cash with no hopes of paying it back, and Uncle Sam will send you a welfare check.

Ryan431101111 said: I am with OP on this one, I have a BoA no fee loan, that I can afford and have never had a problem paying. I also oppose the bailout, but what can we do? Bad behavior is getting rewarded over and over again, and yet it continues. Why are they giving incentives to the lenders who started all of this? I would rather put my hand in the pot, then do nothing, simply because what else can we do? You think because I don't take part it will stop the bailout... not likely.

nope, you'd be stupid not to take the money.

But this is hell for long term America. USSA here we come. As the bailouts grow, more and more people become dependant on goverment, and continue to vote for more and more bailouts.

Once you start bailing people out, when/how do you stop?

point in case why the bailouts of deadbeats are bad. Hardworking people are being turned into defacto deadbeats, in order to recoup some of their tax dollars.

Moral hazard * infinite.

2009 taking gov waste to new levels!

SIS I call BULLDOGGY on your altruistic motives. You are concerned about #1, yourself. If you truly are concerned about these "helpless" homeowners who will be force to become renters why not lower their rent to your cost.....better yet how about you pay them to live in your rentals?

Everyone likes to pretend their altruistic, but take away their food and water and watch how fast they revert to their "primal" urges.

You think the govaMINT care about you? Think again! They care about getting re-elected, and taking care of their sponsors who get them elected. They care about making people dependent on the big old uncle sams tit, and they care about keeping social order.

They're afraid of social unrest, not whether or not Johnny Moe gets to keep his house. Its not question of if, but when their ability to fund this welfare state ends.

michal1980 said: Ryan431101111 said: I am with OP on this one, I have a BoA no fee loan, that I can afford and have never had a problem paying. I also oppose the bailout, but what can we do? Bad behavior is getting rewarded over and over again, and yet it continues. Why are they giving incentives to the lenders who started all of this? I would rather put my hand in the pot, then do nothing, simply because what else can we do? You think because I don't take part it will stop the bailout... not likely.

nope, you'd be stupid not to take the money.

But this is hell for long term America. USSA here we come. As the bailouts grow, more and more people become dependant on goverment, and continue to vote for more and more bailouts.

Once you start bailing people out, when/how do you stop?

I hear you, man, but we are past the point to do anything about it. Now your only hope is to fight fire with fire, which I suggested above.

funkxl said: point in case why the bailouts of deadbeats are bad. Hardworking people are being turned into defacto deadbeats, in order to recoup some of their tax dollars.

Moral hazard * infinite.

SIS I call BULLDOGGY on your altruistic motives. You are concerned about #1, yourself. If you truly are concerned about these "helpless" homeowners who will be force to become renters why not lower their rent to your cost.....better yet how about you pay them to live in your rentals?
Im paying for the bailout just like everyone else. I pay for the Section 8 program just like everyone else. But Im not b1tching about it like everyone else. I would benefit more by increased foreclosures, as I could snap up more, cheaper homes. But pardon me from wanting to see some stability form in our housing market instead of the reckless freefall thats been happening. A slow, controlled reversion to normality is much better than whats been happening. Sure many ppl will default again, even with this bailout. But the homeowner bailout size is not even the amount of $$$ we put into AIG. And for everyone who can actually "make it" with the assistance, thats a more stable neighborhood, which is good for #1 - me.

SIS said: Im paying for the bailout just like everyone else. I pay for the Section 8 program just like everyone else. But Im not b1tching about it like everyone else. I would benefit more by increased foreclosures, as I could snap up more, cheaper homes. But pardon me from wanting to see some stability form in our housing market instead of the reckless freefall thats been happening.

So the reckless rise in prices was cool, but those who created the mess need to be "protected"? I still don't buy the altruistic crap....is it possible that now that you've levered up to the extent you can, your ready for a nice rebound on your "investment"....so you can lever up some more? Don't give me crap about how you're cash flow positive...that doesn't mean squat if you're levered up and can't buy more houses right now, and it sure doesn't mean squat if you sitting on depreciating asset.

SIS said: A slow, controlled reversion to normality is much better than whats been happening. Sure many ppl will default again, even with this bailout. But the homeowner bailout size is not even the amount of $$$ we put into AIG. And for everyone who can actually "make it" with the assistance, thats a more stable neighborhood, which is good for #1 - me.

AIG is appalling, i'll give you that, but if you add up all the welfare that is being spent on housing...including cash injections to all of the banks, the talf, the nationalization of fne in fre, not to mention the interest we're going to have to pay on this debt, and all the programs already in place (hud, fha, and section 8) this far exceeds the cost of AIG.

reasons to oppose the bailout

this site nicely sums up the many reasons why this bailout is a terrible idea

1. The Bailout Encourages Bad Behavior
2. It Rewards the Wrong People
3. It Will Further Nationalize our Housing Market
4. It is a Futile Effort to Re-inflate the Housing Bubble, which Failed Miserably in Japan
5. The Bailout Keeps People in Homes They Cannot Afford
6. The Bailout Steals Billions from Hard Working Americans
7. Policy Like this Caused the Crisis
8. We Cannot Afford it
9. It Distorts the Market Economy
10. The Plan Creates Uncertainty in the Marketplace

Hey I'm no expert, but this is a stimulus package, the purpose is to get money flowing into the economy. Refinancing a home preventing forclosure on a home where someone who is upside down and at a 50% DTI ratio is probably not going to stimulate the economy, it is just going to prop it up (there is always exceptions, but I'm talking in general).

Now take a look at the Relief for Responsible Homeowners. It is not for delinquent homeowners, it is for people who have proven responsible, but because of the economic situation could use some help. For example a guy who got a 10% pay cut or their hours cut back by 10%. Like most that guy probably was at a 36% DTI, the cut back pushes him to 40%, yeah he is still making his payments, but he is struggling and not buying other things, he goes into survival mode, and doesn't spend. Now with this plan he refinances and he now gets a lower rate and his DTI ratio is down to 30%. Heck he is better off then he was, he starts to responsibly spend some of the savings he made up. This is a win/win, he keeps his house which keeping property values up. He spends a little of his savings that helps others keep their jobs.

Even if we look at the OP, he is paying his mortgage, doesn't have a total need for the lower rate (his DTI is still normal), but figures he wants his share. That's fine. He lowers his DTI and now he has more cash to spend. If he banks it instead of spending it, then yes the economy is no better, but that is probably the rarity. This is extra income, most likely he will spend it helping someone else.

Just for perspective, I don't qualify for this program. I don't like debt, so my DTI ratio is too low. Yet, of all the plans the stimulus package is funding, this is the one I agree with. I think people will spend this new found gain and that will help speed the recovery along.

Just my $.02
My vote

Why should someone get help because of their economic situation? They wouldn't be in this situation if they had bought homes they could afford.

Cerdo said: Why should someone get help because of their economic situation? They wouldn't be in this situation if they had bought homes they could afford.

This plan isn't for those who can't afford the home they are in. This is for RESPONSIBLE HOMEOWNERS. In fact depending on you DTI, if your ratio is really bad (aka you can't afford your home) they refer you to HOPE FOR HOMES. If your beef is with people who bought homes they couldn't afford, beat up on that stimulus plan. I agree that one is pissing good money after bad.

Overall I don't agree with the bailout, but of all the plans this is the only one that makes a little sense.

It's just FWers. We don't want the government using our money to buy cakes for everyone. However, now that they took our money and buy cakes anyway, then we want to eat as much as we can.

Before you all jump in and refinance, you might want to think about recourse / non-recourse of the loan.

SUCKISSTAPLES said: funkxl said: point in case why the bailouts of deadbeats are bad. Hardworking people are being turned into defacto deadbeats, in order to recoup some of their tax dollars.

Moral hazard * infinite.

Im paying for the bailout just like everyone else. I pay for the Section 8 program just like everyone else. But Im not b1tching about it like everyone else. I would benefit more by increased foreclosures, as I could snap up more, cheaper homes. But pardon me from wanting to see some stability form in our housing market instead of the reckless freefall thats been happening. A slow, controlled reversion to normality is much better than whats been happening. Sure many ppl will default again, even with this bailout. But the homeowner bailout size is not even the amount of $$$ we put into AIG. And for everyone who can actually "make it" with the assistance, thats a more stable neighborhood, which is good for #1 - me.

Like its going to stop at 75billion dollars. LOL, not going to happen if just the people that 'need' help would get it. Now pack in all the FWF types. That $75 billion will only grow.

I just love this new goverment, reward failure, the bigger the failure the bigger reward.

How come you welfare case's are going to be able to get below market interest rates? You want to encourage stable neighboorhoods, I have a brilliant idea for you:

Give huge incentives to NEW Responsible buyers. Get these deadbeats and turn them into renters. Instead now you have wellfare homeowners, getting much more competative terms then even people with stellar credit. Even worse, people good credit, (by america's standards, not fwf), are really behind the 8 ball. Behind on paying your bill, heres a 2% rate for you. But missed paying a bill on time 5 years ago, hmm sorry, thats an extra point or two for you.

Why dont new buyers get a 2% loan? Why cant new borrowers have their credit scores ignored? Even better, why dont we let new borrowers buy 700k homes, but only pay what they can afford.

Then on top of that, pay your bills on time, heres an extra 5 grand for you. WTF? WHY?

You keep rationalizing anyway you want if it helps you sleep at night. Doesn't change the fact its wrong.

I wonder if SIS has his own renter bailout plans: dont pay for 60 days, heck, i'll let you pay less, and forget about that past 2 months for a while

It's way past the point of debating whether to bail out or not. Obama has decided for us that there will be a bail out (and in my opinion, he chose to do so to benefit the poor black voter that put him in office). Now is the time to discuss how to best take advantage of the bail out plan.

Here's one way:
- Temporary reduce your income.
- Stop paying mortgage for 90 days.
- Lock in a load modificate to 31% of your reduced income.
- Increase your income back to normal level.

Makes me think of Chris Rock:

"[people] always wanting credit for doing something they're supposed to do. They'll say 'I take care of my kids.' You're supposed to you dumb mother..."

If I can't stop it or modify it to a true working model then I have a choice. I can either be the supply of the bailout money, or the demand. IMO it is sheer idiocy to volunteer to be the supply. But I'll make sure to send you a thank you card if you decide to be hard headed and send me some money.

broke25engineer said: It's way past the point of debating whether to bail out or not. Obama has decided for us that there will be a bail out (and in my opinion, he chose to do so to benefit the poor black voter that put him in office). Now is the time to discuss how to best take advantage of the bail out plan.

Here's one way:

Ah, the good ol' "load modificate"! Also, thank you for sharing your equally well-developed political views.

broke25engineer said: It's way past the point of debating whether to bail out or not. Obama has decided for us that there will be a bail out (and in my opinion, he chose to do so to benefit the poor black voter that put him in office). Now is the time to discuss how to best take advantage of the bail out plan.

Here's one way:

i'm sorry masters, i'm supposded to just lay down, and take it? Why? Because the Savior made it so?

This offers 0 benefit to me, and has the potentinal to harm me. So Why should I support any of it? I didn't support it before, I'm not going to now.

michal1980 said: broke25engineer said: It's way past the point of debating whether to bail out or not. Obama has decided for us that there will be a bail out (and in my opinion, he chose to do so to benefit the poor black voter that put him in office). Now is the time to discuss how to best take advantage of the bail out plan.

Here's one way:

i'm sorry masters, i'm supposded to just lay down, and take it? Why? Because the Savior made it so?

This offers 0 benefit to me, and has the potentinal to harm me. So Why should I support any of it? I didn't support it before, I'm not going to now.

I dont support it either, has zero benefit for me, my ltv is too low, i earn too much money, so i get no help changing the apr on my 30yr fixed.

This plan is totally unfair, its different criteria is pretty much luck based, like fannie or freddie owning the loan.

I wonder if you have to pay for it like a refinance ...

I might be eligible for this, as my front-end DTI is 34.5% (including other debts, aka back-end DTI, is 36.7%). If I could get a modification my monthly payment would drop by about $200.

One question though about assets (from Modification Guidelines):
Modification Guidelines said: Borrowers must also represent and warrant that they do not have sufficient liquid assets to make their monthly mortgage payments.

I just filed my taxes and got the $7,500 first time homeowner credit (interest free loan). Will my bank look at that $7,500 (plus another $2,000 or so in other cash) and say I have enough assets to make my mortgage payment? If so I should have waited to file my taxes!

Skipping 138 Messages...
Hereís an updated data point about this Homeowner Affordability and Stability Plan (HASP). I just successfully locked in a rate that lowers my interest rate by 1.375% from my old 30-year fixed rate ($145 saving each month or over $50,000 over the life of my $160k loan).

The application fee is $400, and the low rate is good for 60 days. Unlike the No Fee Mortgage Plus that I used on my original loan, I have to pay the closing cost and title fee this time. BOA gives me the opportunity to roll over all the refinance cost into the loan so I donít have to pay a single cent and still receive a lower monthly payment. But I choose to pay the closing cost on my own. The paperwork will be sent to me within 7 business days, and Iím currently shopping for the cheapest title fee in town.

Anyway, hereís the detailed about the plan with BOA (Sorry, I donít have info from other banks; you have to call your lenders). Currently BOA is in phase one of the HASP. Phase one loans are loans that originated without private mortgage insurance. Phase two will begin to examine loans where twenty percent was not put down.

My original loan is actually ineligible for phase 1 of HASP. I used the No Fee Mortgage Plus. Bank of America has been paying the private mortgage insurance for me. It was one of the great benefits of that program. I was able to purchase without putting down 20%, and I did not need to pay the PMI. However, thereís a strategy to get oneís application into phase 1 if one was using NFMP program and doesnít put down 20%.

The key is to call the right BOA representative that absolutely doesnít know about the No Fee Mortgage Plus program! It seems to me that BOA doesnít have one system to keep track of all want-to-be applicants. Itís only in the system once the qualified application is actually submitted by a loan specialist. So each week I called in, different loan specialists would put me in a follow up list and repeat to me that my loan is ineligible for phase 1 indicated by their computerís screen since they have a program that parses all loans.

Once you get the right rep that doesnít know about NFMP, ask him to look back at your payment history to see that you never pay PMI and tell him your loan is qualified for phase 1 since thereís no PMI. After that, the rest is history.

Give your lender a call!

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017