Any car rental companies without one way fees?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • 1
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
5 or 10 years ago you could drop off a car hundreds of miles away and the total cost was $30 or $40. Now they have all kinds of fees that raise that to $150 or more. Need to get from Buffalo back to DC in a week, but can't find anything without a large drop off charge. Might as well take a bus or even fly back. Anything I missed?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

It's always dependent on a particular rate even 5 to 10 years ago and not by the car rental company.

One way flights between Buffalo and DC are around $100. Why not fly?

MommyOfHAndK said:   One way flights between Buffalo and DC are around $100. Why not fly?
  With whom? Got to be afternoon or later and cheapest I see is $286 with Southwest.

atikovi said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   One way flights between Buffalo and DC are around $100. Why not fly?
  With whom? Got to be afternoon or later and cheapest I see is $286 with Southwest.

  www.google.com/flights/

Look at National.

MommyOfHAndK said:   
atikovi said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   One way flights between Buffalo and DC are around $100. Why not fly?
  With whom? Got to be afternoon or later and cheapest I see is $286 with Southwest.

  www.google.com/flights/

  The only cheap flights are like 3 weeks out. You'd think last minute flights would be the cheapest just to fill up an airplane.

Even if the fare is $286, how is that compared to the one way car rental cost plus estimated tolls and gas? If its only slightly less than cost of flight or actually exceeds the plane ticket cost, is it really worth it for a 7-8 hour drive............or can try Megabus which I know does the route.

The deal is, I'm delivering a car I sold on eBay to Buffalo and have two choices. Choice 1) If I drive it, it will cost me about $10 for gas (tank already full), then whatever it costs to bus, train, fly or rent a car to get back. Choice 2) I tow it there with my truck and will cost about $70 gas RT but then I have a quick and easy way back. Obviously option 1 would only be better if I can take a bus or rent a car for less than $60 but I don't see that happening. Megabus is $90 and doesn't leave until after midnight. If I could find a $30-$40 car rental I'd do that but looks more like I'll tow it.

If you search Priceline or Kayak you can try multiple options. Typically either the pickup or drop off has to be an airport. However don't forget to try (separately) dropping off at a city location or picking up at a city location. On occasion these rates are cheaper.

To answer your question: Every company has drop fees. The only time they are minimal is when you happen to pick something "They need" and essentially they are having you move their inventory for them. For example: You frequently see it advertised in spring that many companies waive drop fees for you to rent a car in Florida and drop it in another state.  - They need more cars in Florida during winter than in Summer.  Also in places like Florida and California there is a lot of competition and car movement in general.  Drop fees are low or waived on many reservations.

As far as airline tickets go, - what you say sounds logical, but things typically work in reverse.
- Airlines want full flights therefor many airlines start with very low prices to be sure they sell many tickets. Then as the airplane gets booked and the date gets closer the rates raise exponentially. I see this constantly on Southwest. A flight may begin at $79 or $100, and as the date gets closer, quickly go to $300-$500. Outside of early AM and (very) late PM flights it's been years since I've been on a Southwest plane with more than a few empty seats.

A note on delivering a car sold on eBay : I hope buyer has paid already and/or the car is about 100 times better than your listing description.
More than likely you will be driving the car to Buffalo and then back to DC. For that reason you might consider cheap or refundable reservations.

atikovi said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   
atikovi said:   
MommyOfHAndK said:   One way flights between Buffalo and DC are around $100. Why not fly?
  With whom? Got to be afternoon or later and cheapest I see is $286 with Southwest.

  www.google.com/flights/

  The only cheap flights are like 3 weeks out. You'd think last minute flights would be the cheapest just to fill up an airplane.

  whens the last time you were on a plane that wasn't full? Its been a while since I have
 

You could ask if some needs a car going in that direction, though driveaway was much more common in the 1990s with European hostel crowd.
http://www.autodriveaway.com/shipping_services  under standard shipping
 

StartByServingOthers said:   A note on delivering a car sold on eBay : I hope buyer has paid already and/or the car is about 100 times better than your listing description.
More than likely you will be driving the car to Buffalo and then back to DC. For that reason you might consider cheap or refundable reservations.

  I got a $500 deposit and have delivered dozens of cars like that with zero issues. If they don't want it I'll be happy to use that $500 to relist.

Amtrak or greyhound is another cheap route

Did you check Budget car rentals?

I've just done a few one way trips, and surprisingly Hertz was by far the cheapest. Not $30-$40, but $64-80 for pickup in South Bend In and drop off in South Carolina. Similarly we did it in the reverse direction and got the same rates. I did notice the best rate was from airport to airport versus picking up or dropping off at a local branch.



Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017