Saving on hotel and car rental in Denver

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We are going on trip to Denver on Aug 24 to Aug 29 as a family of 2 with young child.
I've noticed that hotels and airbnb is rather more expensive than other cities of same size. Also
car rental in airport is expensive but do get cheaper if renting in the city. 
Anyone has good tips on saving money on hotel and rental in this city, as well as general way to save on traveling to Denver
TIA

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

What do you plan to do in Denver? Hang around in downtown? Go to the mountains? Or just lay back and relax in a hotel?

I used to make semi-regular work-trips to Denver a few years ago. I have seen the downtown go from being beautiful and safe in 2012 to becoming a pot-smelling semi-shady place that I no longer felt safe in on 2014, especially not with kids.

Denver hotels are expensive - always has been. It's a big convention town, and hence a lot of demand. Supply is not so much. The expensive hotel room is just a result of the demand supply gap.

Depending on what you are trying to do, you may find cheaper alternatives if you go outside the city. If you want to enjoy the mountains, then you should not be in Denver proper anyway - as mountains are 2 hours away. Also - a lot of mountains and beautiful valleys exist outside the well known and touristy places like Vail/Aspen/Snowmass. You can find many small hotels for little money with beautiful mountains and scenic locations outside these well known places.

I would keep an eye on the IHG pointbreaks coming out next week - sometimes they have hotels in the mountains that you can get for 5000 points/night (hint: purchase the points if you don't have them).

You might be able to save on rental car by getting a car at one of the hotels near the airport that has a shuttle. I think there's Avis and Enterprise on Quebec St near the Hilton there.

puddonhead said:   I used to make semi-regular work-trips to Denver a few years ago. I have seen the downtown go from being beautiful and safe in 2012 to becoming a pot-smelling semi-shady place that I no longer felt safe in on 2014, especially not with kids.
That is quite a bogus correlation. But, sure stay away from downtown; it will lessen the congestion for us to enjoy.  

OP, don't let ill-informed opinions bias your decision to visit one of the finest state capitals in the country. If you would like to avoid downtown, you may stay in Lakewood/Golden area; close to the mountains and pay a lesser price for hotels.

FYI - IHG pointbreaks for the next two months have just been released and "Candlewood Suites CRAIG-NORTHWEST" is on the list. Craig is totally off the beaten path in Colorado, and is called the "Elk Hunting Capital".

Beware though - Candlewood Suites is the lowest tier brand of IHG. So don't go there expecting Intercontinental level amenities. Usually all the Candlewood Suites I have been to are extremely basic, minimalist crash-pad, but clean and safe enough for us. 

I have never been there, but I would bet it will have enough of the scenic summertime scenic beauty the Rockies are known for (along with the winter sports - of course).

Also in the list is a hotel in the Denver Tech Center - in case you prefer to stay in Denver.

mrmonty said:   
puddonhead said:   I used to make semi-regular work-trips to Denver a few years ago. I have seen the downtown go from being beautiful and safe in 2012 to becoming a pot-smelling semi-shady place that I no longer felt safe in on 2014, especially not with kids.
That is quite a bogus correlation. But, sure stay away from downtown; it will lessen the congestion for us to enjoy.  

OP, don't let ill-informed opinions bias your decision to visit one of the finest state capitals in the country. If you would like to avoid downtown, you may stay in Lakewood/Golden area; close to the mountains and pay a lesser price for hotels.

I appreciate your input and would be really happy to be corrected. I loved the downtown area when I first saw it (Minneapolis is my favorite downtown area, Denver would be close second).

Denver has always had it's fair share of:
1. Pan-handlers and homeless population (all the time)
2. Drunk teenagers during Friday/Saturday nights.
These did not put me off that much!

However, in 2014, the 16th street started reeking of weed smoke on Friday/Saturday. Looking back, I think that is what made me feel uncomfortable. I "felt" that the crowd also changed - but I may not be very objective here. This started bothering me enough that I stopped staying in the downtown hotels when family came to visit - and instead started staying in the outskirts as the hotel savings would easily pay for the car rental.

I can handle drunk - but not junkies. Perhaps that is just personal prejudice. 

Also, I have not been there a couple of years. Who knows! It may be back to it's 2012 self?

mrmonty said:   

Look I live in Denver and I can't say I disagree.  downtown and especially 16th street mall has been over-run with visitors, who are young and rude  to both locals and tourists.  Sure the majority of the time the are non-violent, but it just isn't fun to walk downtown and literally step over people on the sidewalk and be constantly bummed for money, smokes, etc.  I definitely wouldn't take my two young boys down there until the situation is fixed.  The good news is that it seemed to have peaked in June of this year after some attacks video but the mayor vowed to keep the streets safer, when he is not busy with hookers.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2016