how does apple pay works?

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
We are going out of the country a couple of months from now, i'm just wondering if it's safe to use our credit cards. I have a friend that experienced credit card fraud when he went to Rio last year, i don't want that to happen to me. Is apple pay accepted worldwide? if it is, is it much better to use it than using my credit card? How does it work?

Member Summary
Staff Summary
  • Also categorized in:
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

I have use my credit card in other countries and maybe, I'm just lucky enough that I don't experience a problem. Anyway, about Apple pay, its has been used by numerous individuals and accepted by many establishments in different countries. It is supported by an iOS apps and most users select this as their payment method.

You didn't mention where you are going but Apple Pay is only accepted in
USA, France, Switzerland, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia and UK.

Credit Card is the safest way to travel. If you get frauded, a call to the Credit Card company fixes it. I wouldn't flash an Iphone around just to use Apple pay as someone might just steal that.

Apple Pay creates a virtual card number and it's only activated when you use your fingerprint. So someone stealing your phone can't do anything about it, and there's no mag stripe that could be read as a regular card would have. Only thing they could do is steal the card number from the back end system. If that happens, the card company can simply cancel that number and issue Apple Pay would get a new number. Your physical card is not affected at all.

forbin4040 said:   You didn't mention where you are going but Apple Pay is only accepted in
USA, France, Switzerland, Singapore, China, Hong Kong, Canada, Australia and UK.

Credit Card is the safest way to travel. If you get frauded, a call to the Credit Card company fixes it. I wouldn't flash an Iphone around just to use Apple pay as someone might just steal that.

Spain, Hungary, Austria as well. (Used in all 3 in July). Terminals accepting NFC or contactless payment can usually accept it, although sometimes only Visa. Although people in many countries cannot sign up for Apple Pay themselves yet, it can often be used there.

We're going to France.

I mostly use Apple Pay for shopping here and I even have TSys for my shop because they can accept Apple Pay. Guess I have to just use my credit cards if it's safer as you say.

OP, there have been a lot of past threads in the Finance forum about using credit cards outside of the U.S., which you might do a search for to learn tips from.

-----
some quick tips:

Because sometimes one or another card just won't work abroad, and sometimes if you are trying to use them at foreign machines (like for transportion tickets on the subway/trains at an unmanned stations), some cards just won't work even though they should (it's happened to me), you'll want to make sure to take more than one credit card with you on your trip so that you have a couple of back-ups.

You should call to notify your credit card companies ahead of time that you will be travelling abroad over such-and-such period of time (so they don't shut down your card due to a concern about fraudulent usage the first time that you try to use it outside of the U.S. -- this happens quite a bit, it's happened to me).

You can also notify your bank about your travel plans, if you'll be taking a debit card linked to your checking account in order to get foreign currency out of the atms, which is usually a good way to get foreign currency if the specific atm doesn't tack on a lot of fees and if your bank at home doesn't charge too much for it.

Know the pin numbers for your credit cards.

Some businesses in Europe won't take credit cards for smallish purchases, so you might always have some cash on you to cover such purchases.

oppidum said:   OP, there have been a lot of past threads in the Finance forum about using credit cards outside of the U.S., which you might do a search for to learn tips from.

-----
some quick tips:

Because sometimes one or another card just won't work abroad, and sometimes if you are trying to use them at foreign machines (like for transportion tickets on the subway/trains at an unmanned stations), some cards just won't work even though they should (it's happened to me), you'll want to make sure to take more than one credit card with you on your trip so that you have a couple of back-ups.

You should call to notify your credit card companies ahead of time that you will be travelling abroad over such-and-such period of time (so they don't shut down your card due to a concern about fraudulent usage the first time that you try to use it outside of the U.S. -- this happens quite a bit, it's happened to me).

You can also notify your bank about your travel plans, if you'll be taking a debit card linked to your checking account in order to get foreign currency out of the atms, which is usually a good way to get foreign currency if the specific atm doesn't tack on a lot of fees and if your bank at home doesn't charge too much for it.

Know the pin numbers for your credit cards.

Some businesses in Europe won't take credit cards for smallish purchases, so you might always have some cash on you to cover such purchases.

All excellent advice.
Also, be sure all your cards have chip, none of European machines anywhere use magnetic strip any longer.
Call your bank or card provider to be sure you wont be billed foreign transaction fees.
Do not take money out from ATM with a card that will charge you cash advance from the moment you withdraw.
I have been travelling in Europe for almost 3 weeks now and have not seen Apple Pay logo anywhere. MasterCard is the most widely accepted card.

In Europe, even though the banks all issue chip and pin cards, the terminals still read magnet stripes, although you'll hit issues if your cards lack chips. Still, you won't be sleeping on the streets.

NFC card readers are about as common there as here. That means you can't leave home without your actual cards.

burgerwars said:   In Europe, even though the banks all issue chip and pin cards, the terminals still read magnet stripes, although you'll hit issues if your cards lack chips. Still, you won't be sleeping on the streets.

I do not think that all terminals there still read magnet stripes.  I remember 4 years ago some of the terminals I was using there were definitively switched to chip and pin only.  No magnet stripe cards were accepted.

Credit cards are accepted at more places than charge cards and prepaid cards.

Most of the cases credit card is acceptable. Even in online transaction when I need I use credit card. Whether cash money don't work.

Been using Apple Pay in Canadian restaurants this week. No signature require on Chase card (Chip and Signature) when using Apple Pay. Cool.

I just feel confused about it either.

I think there should be no problem using Apple card for shopping in any place of the world?

Apple Pay = that means Apple company will pay for you

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017