• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hi!

I`m traveling to Budapest in Oct and I am very excited, can`t wait! I`ll be traveling on my own and as a woman I am wondering if there are any areas one should be wary of, especially in the evenings\night? 

Thanks for your tips.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Use common sense.

rated:
For specific information like this (areas of Budapest to be careful in), you should ask this question on websites that are specifically about travel and/or specifically about Hungary.

There are many travel sites out there which are frequented by Americans -- Rick Steves, Fodor's, Lonely Planet, many more.
You can also ask at a general travel website that has a lot of participants, such as flyertalk.com.

Also, most guidebooks for American travellers give details on the safety profiles of various areas of a city. Make sure you have a couple of good guidebooks for Budapest which have been recently published.

Naturally, you will want to be very careful, just as if you were travelling alone for the first time (and especially if you didn't know the language) in any city.

Make sure you have a cell phone that works there, that has a lot of call credits on it, and that you know the local police/emergency services number and have it programmed into the phone.

Dress to blend in and not to stand out as being a foreigner, walk with confidence as if you know where you are going, do not trust strangers,
if you want to withdraw cash, even in the middle of the day try to use only atms that are safely located inside open and staffed banks (or change money with your atm card at a bank counter), etc....

There will be hundreds of websites out there with safety tips for single American women travellers in Europe, so I'm sure with a little more searching that you'll find the sort of info that you are looking for.

rated:
monicalacopi said:   I`ll be traveling on my own and as a woman I am wondering if there are any areas one should be wary of, especially in the eveningsnight?

Male or female, being out alone in an unfamiliar place, especially at night, is just not a good idea.  Make friends.  Otherwise, stay close to hotels or hire drivers/guides.  Consult with concierges and hotel security before heading out. 

rated:
dcwilbur said:   
monicalacopi said:   I`ll be traveling on my own and as a woman I am wondering if there are any areas one should be wary of, especially in the eveningsnight?
Male or female, being out alone in an unfamiliar place, especially at night, is just not a good idea.  Make friends.  Otherwise, stay close to hotels or hire drivers/guides.  Consult with concierges and hotel security before heading out. 

Making quick friendships with strangers (even ones who appear to be respectable and reputable, even "friends of friends" or even fellow alumni of your university) and/or hiring a guide/driver, and going out and about with them, particularly at night, can also be unsafe.  I've personally known of / witnessed bad situations that started out in those ways. 
If you will be staying in the city for a period of time, maybe you could get to know some people and get your bearings, but if you are just there for a quick visit, the safest course might be to head back to your hotel after dinner and forego sampling the nightlife on your own (or with strangers).

rated:
Thank you all for the replies. I will collect more infos before dispatching.

rated:
I think traveling alone as a women is not a good idea or you should stay at hotels in the nights and travel in the day time.

rated:
Eque1974 said:   I think traveling alone as a women is not a good idea or you should stay at hotels in the nights and travel in the day time.
I was 30 when I came from France alone. I had traveled to England a few times before.

I had read "Le guide du routard" and I am surprised it is still around:
https://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guide_du_routard

From the book, I learned a lot of valuable tips, tips any traveler may need, even if spending more money than I had decided to spend.

I stayed in the Y in NYC & Chicago. I slept in my rental car in NYC [while the police tried to tow it !], I walked all over Soho in the late 70's and I never had any problems.

I kept 1/2 of my money in my shoes, 1/2 in a pouch [+ passport] tied around my neck, under my clothes - day & night.
I come from a wealthy/sheltered family background and I did not have much experience with the "outside  world".
I ended up in Philadelphia in the late 70's around the times of a race riot !!  in a "bad" neighborhood. I followed the  tips in the book and I was confident enough to be  ... confident.

CONFIDENT: That what you must be.

I NEVER looked at strangers in the eyes while walking in the streets. Even if I was lost, I pretended I knew where i was going. I briskly walked, one eye on the ground,  but the other looking around.

Don't let fear get the best of you.

I did it - anybody could do it  

rated:
Eque1974 said:   I think traveling alone as a women is not a good idea or you should stay at hotels in the nights and travel in the day time.
Travelling alone as a woman, in much of the world (though not absolutely everywhere) is fine -- educational and character-building and potentially exhilarating -- you just have to be careful, prepared, on guard, not take chances, not trust strangers, etc. 
Just like any man travelling alone in a foreign country has to be. 
Just like anyone who is alone and visiting New Orleans, St. Louis, Chicago, New York, etc., for the first time has to be.

rated:
I've been to Europe a dozen times in the past eight years. It's mostly safe, although you more likely will be pickpocketed, tricked or scammed than in the U.S. In the U.S. you're more likely be killed.

Japan is the most safest area I've been. They don't rob people on the streets. Very safe.

rated:
Yes, just use common sense - it will be enough while traveling to Europe. Nothing special.

rated:
I was in Budapest a couple of months ago (my wife and I) and I think the city is plenty safe. We were out late at night too and never felt any concerns or issues. They have a very good public transportation system, too -- get a pass and you can hop on hop off anytime. Have fun and use TripAdvisor to pick out the top sights and plan out your itineraries.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017