• Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
Just flew back from Cancun and the airline somehow managed not to load any passenger's luggage on the plane--and they made us wait an hour at baggage claim before informing us this was the case. Finally got my bags 2 days later. Wondering... what's a reasonable remediation for delayed luggage? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

Unless they lose it, it is typically nothing.

Of course it never hurts to ask for some miles.

If the luggage is delayed upon your return to your home (of record with the airline) then nothing.  The airline's logic is that you are home and have clothes and toiletries available to you there.

If the luggage is delayed when not traveling home, it varies by airline.  Could be anything from $25/day to reasonable expenses. 

Look at the airlines website for their compensation policy; every airline is different. Data point- Southwest lost our bags on day 1 of our vacation and we had to waste a whole day in LA so they can deliver them next day. We got no comp.

It depends on the airline. Last April I flew from LAX to Edinburgh Scotland and for some unknown reason American Airlines sent my luggage to Las Vegas. American told me to save my receipts and they would reimburse me. The luggage was delivered to my hotel the next day, so I didn't bother. I wonder what they would have done if I claimed I needed to be in a Scottish parade and bought the most expensive traditional Scottish clothing.

burgerwars said:   It depends on the airline. Last April I flew from LAX to Edinburgh Scotland and for some unknown reason American Airlines sent my luggage to Las Vegas. American told me to save my receipts and they would reimburse me. The luggage was delivered to my hotel the next day, so I didn't bother. I wonder what they would have done if I claimed I needed to be in a Scottish parade and bought the most expensive traditional Scottish clothing.
  They would have demanded to see pics of the event and the wearing of the kilt, traditional style.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017