Sticking it to the airlines and only paying $28 for a flight.

Archived From: Travel Discussion
  • Page :
  • Text Only
Voting History
rated:
I found a $28 fare from Orlando to DC just one week out. When I booked it online, they offered all kinds of add-ons at extra cost like baggage fee, carry-on fee, seat assignment fee, etc. that would have added another $100 to the fare. Screw that, declined them all and just paid the $28. I'll have to travel light by only having a 18"x14"x8" "personal item tote" with me, but for an overnight trip, that just fine. When the airlines make more off the fees they charge than the actual airfare, something is messed up. And no, I don't plan on spending $8 on a snack either.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

How's that sticking to them? That's $28 more than an otherwise empty seat.

They expect most people to buy into the extras. And most flights are full these days.

atikovi said:   I found a $28 fare from Orlando to DC just one week out. When I booked it online, they offered all kinds of add-ons at extra cost like baggage fee, carry-on fee, seat assignment fee, etc. that would have added another $100 to the fare. Screw that, declined them all and just paid the $28. I'll have to travel light by only having a 18"x14"x8" "personal item tote" with me, but for an overnight trip, that just fine. When the airlines make more off the fees they charge than the actual airfare, something is messed up. And no, I don't plan on spending $8 on a snack either.
  this is really cheap

Which airline is this?

Frontier

I don't know why you are so proud supporting that terrible airline. You are justifying their business practices while patting yourself on the back. I find it better to skip Spirit and Frontier.

This is FW.

Tante:

Wait a second, you might abhor Frontiers policies and practices, but it's not like they are conducting human rights violations.  Keep in mind they are a business and what is their goal?  That's right to make a profit.  If people choose to fly them and pay the fees, great.  If people choose not to fly them because they don't want to pay the fees, that's great also.  But for the OP NOT to take a $28 flight to Orlando simply because of their business model would be beyond stupid.

And don't get me wrong, I am not a Frontier customer as I have only flow Frontier once (and enjoyed it, but that was many years ago before thier current model.)  I only try to fly Southwest because of those fees, and I avoid Spirit because of their don't give a f**k attitude towards the customer.

But to chide someone for taking advantage of a great deal is silly.

and a lot of times other carriers will compete and price match...

I took a tiny Spirit-sized backpack on a trip just to see if it could be done. Perfectly manageable for a short trip of a night or two. Of course, I was flying American and didn't really have to.

The problem I have with the ULCCs is that things *really* fall apart during weather or mechanical delays, with no options for rerouting on other carriers. That, combined with a limited schedule, makes them a no-go for me.

it's awesome if you can make it work, though. Just don't bet your dream vacation or important business meeting on their schedule coming true.

Took the flight yesterday and it was perfectly fine. They still try to nickel and dime you at every opportunity though. When you check in you can pay for a preferred seat, carry-on luggage, check-in luggage etc. Same thing when printing a boarding pass. And it doesn't stop when you get on the plane. They even charge for soft drinks. Heard a couple behind me pay $15 for a snack and 2 drinks. And that's for just a 2 hour flight. Guess some folks can't go 2 hours without stuffing their face.

I love it.  Almost as good as Ryanair here in Europe.  I paid about $15 for tickets to Marseille from the Netherlands.  About $22 for tickets to London.  Same $22 for tickets to Barcelona.  Sure, no frills, pay for everything, but they get you there on time, and you don't need to spend for extras if you don't want to.  If you can follow their simple rules, like print your own ticket at home, and avoid taking much luggage, then you save a tone of money.  And the planes are cleaner and newer than many of the tin cans that Delta and American Airlines still fly.  I only have used Frontier once, and that was in 2014.  $90 to go from DCA to DEN.

$28 is an incredible rate. Did you book a one-way or return ticket? Was the return for the same price too? I've seen some pretty good deals to the Caribbean (one-way) on JetBlue, but they tend to eke out the deficit on the return leg. Never flown Frontier and have heard bad things in general, but I've been on RyanAir and EasyJet and they're fantastic (if you know what to expect).

Just needed one way. Delivered a car I sold down to Orlando and flew back to Washington Dulles.

I flew Frontier 3 years ago with my wife TTN-MDW.. $85 roundtrip each.

We got $78 round trip tickets (DURING SCHOOL WINTER VACATION when fares are higher than usual) Atlantic City-Tampa on Spirit. Love those small airports like ACY and car rental in Tampa was cheaper than in Orlando where we drove in just over an hour) In four tickets easily saved hundreds.
With Spirit you save another $36 or so in each round trip ticket when purchasing at airport ticket counter compared to online fares (no additional discount on $9-club fares)

Now I need Indy to DC one way and the price structures are completely different than Orlando. Nothing under $100 unless 3 weeks out. I understand Orlando is a tourist area compared to Indianapolis, but still, $150 with a week advance seems much.

Screw dat, I'm renting a car to drive back in. Budget town location in Indy to one that is 2 miles from home just $63. Even figuring $30 for gas I'm still ahead over $50 from flying. Not having to deal with flight delays and the uncertainty of getting a middle seat, priceless.

I fly Frontier all of the time and love it for the low fares. 

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017