• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I have read TA and other travelsites and am still not clear; renting a car in Florida Sanford airport and heading to Orlando and around it. Are there any of those cashless tollroads that rental company is warning me about? Seminole Expressway (417) getting in out airport and 4 are most likely the only highways I'll  be taking and neither one requires SunPass or other pass, correct?
Thanks!

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Try this toll calculator
https://www.cfxway.com/for-travelers/#

You can enter your route and you can choose how will calculate tolls (cash, EZ-Pass or Sunpass).
It appears if you go North from Sanford Airport to I-4 you can pay a 75 cent cash toll.

rated:
I just came back from Florida and had the same exact concerns.
The rental car company warned me about a $15 fee for each missed toll.
The toll roads can be very confusing and having to jog off to pay.

I decided to stop at Walgreens and just spend $20 for a portable sunpass and pre-pay $10 in tolls.
You can provide the plate of the rental car and the dates and times you will have the car. If go through a sunpass line and the sunpass is not recognized, it will take a picture of your plate. (I called to verify) If that happens, they will tie a valid sunpass to the plate and never notify the rental company.

The peace of mind was worth $30 to me and you can also fly through the tolls without having to jump off every mile or so.

rated:
Use Waze and set the option to avoid tolls.

rated:
cmcdan1524 said:   I just came back from Florida and had the same exact concerns.
The rental car company warned me about a $15 fee for each missed toll.
The toll roads can be very confusing and having to jog off to pay.

I decided to stop at Walgreens and just spend $20 for a portable sunpass and pre-pay $10 in tolls.
You can provide the plate of the rental car and the dates and times you will have the car. If go through a sunpass line and the sunpass is not recognized, it will take a picture of your plate. (I called to verify) If that happens, they will tie a valid sunpass to the plate and never notify the rental company.

The peace of mind was worth $30 to me and you can also fly through the tolls without having to jump off every mile or so.

I did the same and just bring the sunpass with me for each FL trip. Picked mine up at Publix. It is such a pain to stop at the tolls, so this is a great way to avoid them. 

rated:
IMO it's worth it to just get one of the EZPass tags.

rated:
SaraNOLA said:   IMO it's worth it to just get one of the EZPass tags.
  The EZPass branded tags do not work in Florida.

rated:
E-Z pass is only accepted in the "Northeast". Link will take you to their maps of participating states.
http://www.e-zpassiag.com/about-e-zpass/where-can-i-use-it

https://www.sunpass.com/rentalcar
Fort Lauderdale to the Keys I paid $6 for mini transponder and tolls were less than $5. There was some money remaining in the Sunpass account but I will reuse the next time I visit FL. Fees without a transponder vary by rental company but they can be very expensive with opt in/out fees plus a daily fee. I believe I saved over $60 on my trip with a Sunpass. Some rental companies may have charged me over $142 ($11 per day plus $15 administrative fee per toll. That could have been more than the car rental!

You also need to look for transponders already in rental cars that have a switch to turn on and off. They are placed behind the rearview mirror and are easy to miss. I missed this on my last trip and was billed for tolls even thouh I had my own transponder in my car. Bonus points for Budget who issued me a credit when I sent them a printout of my Sunpass account. Double bonus points because I left Sunpass in the car and they shipped back to me after I faxed them a prepaid mailing label.

Sunpass mini sticker transponders are stuck to windshield for one time use. Their phone app allows you to add rental car with specific start and start times/dates. I found it very easy to use and you can order online.

Hope that helps.

rated:
rsuaver said:   Use Waze and set the option to avoid tolls.
  In Orlando, unless you're driving straight through on I-4, this is pretty much impossible.  I've tried once to drive to the airport avoiding tolls altogether, and would not recommend it.

No toll roads are completely cashless, although a handful of exits are (marked SunPass Only).  Chances are you'll be fine just paying cash the whole time (be sure to stay to the right when approaching the tollbooths so you don't mistakenly use the SunPass lanes), just be sure to bring plenty of quarters for the handful of off-ramps that don't have attendants.  If you do want to use a SunPass, you can buy one at a local grocery or drug store.  It comes in a portable version that you can move from car-to-car, or a cheaper sticker that gets applied to the windshield.  I wouldn't recommend affixing the sticker to a rental car windshield, but you can apply a layer of Saran wrap to it and scotch tape it onto the windshield for easy removal (the sticker version uses the windshield as an antenna).  Also, both types can also be used on Georgia and North Carolina toll roads.

rated:
highly recommended to get the sunpass minipass (basically a sticker with chip in it), which costs $6, in advance (they mail it out). sunpass strongly recommend directly sticking it on windshield but that has these problems
1) several rental car companies have issues with the sticky goo left after you take it off
2) taking it off destroys the pass so you can't reuse it on another car or at later time.

Instead of sticking it on windshield put it on a transparent kitchen cling wrap. the put it up on windshield with a regular tape which is easy to take off. Bingo, now you have a portable pass ready to use on other car/time.
There is lot of FUD on internet saying that mini pass doesn't work if not stuck to glass but ignore that BS, I used cling wrap technique and it worked perfectly everywhere.

rated:
It is awful that FL will penalize mostly Tourists for not knowing this, good revenue generation strategy by fining people who don't vote in FL. btw, Canada now has similar high speed toll roads that will send you a bill and fines for using them but provides no cash options on their roads.

rated:
yes, there are cashless tolls. Either get a Sunpass from the rental agency or use tolless navigation on Waze. I go through there a bit, and there are plenty of options to avoid tolls, they just add a few minutes to the drive.

rated:
No, there are no cashless toll roads in the orlando area. All exits except for a few will have at least a cash or change lane. The 2 exits without cash options are clearly marked on the turn pike, they are kissimmee park road and consulate drive. If you're staying in tourist central they will not be an issue.

Watch the road signs, we do have open road tolling, so you will need to merge right and go through the toll booths to avoid toll by plate and the rental company fee.

Its easy to know if you're on a toll road. If its not I-4, its a toll road.

To answer your direct question, 417 will accept cash along the length of the highway, there are no cashless exits on the 417.  Some off ramps will be change only.  You will run into 3 or 4 main toll barriers, all will require you to merge right following signs for cash tolls.  If you miss the signs and what looks like an off ramp, your plate will be scanned and you will be billed through the rental car company.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017