• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Anyone know if Budget Car Rental has early return fees? Renting a car and returning it the same day shows an $80 charge, but renting it one day and returning the next is only $60. I only need it for the one day, but just wondering if I would be charged a fee for returning early? 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Never mind

rated:
It's not a blanket yes or not, it depends on the rate plan you began the rental with and whether that rate plan is still valid if your actual return date/time differs than your originally stated return date/time.

For example:

Your original itinerary was pickup Monday 3PM and return Wednesday 3PM (duration of 48 hours).  System quotes you the lowest rate plan matching that itinerary.  Let's call that rate plan WEUDC.  Rate plans would have conditions such as rate per day/rate per additional hours, minimum and maximum duration, unlimited miles etc.  Let's say WEUDC has a minimum keep of 26 hours and maximum of 96 hours.

You pickup as stated at Monday 3PM but decided to return early on Tuesday 2PM (duration 23 hours).  When you return, your 23 hour rental no longer meets the requirement of rate plan WEUDC.  You will then be charged a different rate plan that allows for a 23 hour rental.  The new plan could be more expensive or cheaper than rate plan WEUDC.  It could go either way.

rated:
If you only need to use it on one day, and need to return it on that particular day (and can't wait until the next day to return it), can you rent it on the day before you need to use it, thereby fulfilling the 24-hour (or whatever) requirement?

---
Actually, I don't see any harm in asking the branch from which you want to rent the car your question - they might not care that it's returned in less than 24 hours - they might allow you to pay the pre-arranged 24-hour price and be glad to have the car back sooner than expected, which will allow them to rent it out again on the same day. I have had this experience in the past, with Hertz.

rated:
You can also see if the topic has been discussed on flyertalk.com

rated:
Sorry for the late response just returning from vacation! I actually found online that Budget does not charge an early return fee, they will sometimes however offer a refund (usually pretty small) for returning it early! Thanks for all of the tips!

rated:
Wow. This is interesting. I was always under the impression that early return fee applied if you booked, say a Weekly rental (requires a 5+ day rental) and then returned it early thereby disqualifying you from the (lower) Weekly rate and subjecting your rental to a (higher) daily rate. I never though it varied even for daily rentals. 

rated:
This just happened to me. Picked up a Budget car in Indianapolis yesterday at 5pm and dropped it off today in the DC area at 10am. The daily rate before discounts is $68.99 and $51.75 per hour. The total rental was supposed to be $63.01 but I just noticed they charged me almost $110 total. Closer inspection of the dropoff receipt shows they charged me for one day plus one hour. WTF?

rated:
atikovi said:   This just happened to me. Picked up a Budget car in Indianapolis yesterday at 5pm and dropped it off today in the DC area at 10am. The daily rate before discounts is $68.99 and $51.75 per hour. The total rental was supposed to be $63.01 but I just noticed they charged me almost $110 total. Closer inspection of the dropoff receipt shows they charged me for one day plus one hour. WTF?
  What time did you schedule the dropoff for? I know they're quick to add on fees if you're late because they often need to move the cars quickly for other people.

rated:
5pm scheduled dropoff for a 24hr rental. Dropped it off 7 hours early.

rated:
From Budget's site: "7. Budget Lets You Return Early.
Need to return your prepaid rental car early? That’s fine with Budget. We’ll simply recalculate your rental charges based on your new rental time period and refund any overpayment. But Hertz doesn’t refund. And Alamo may or may not refund, depending on the location — and they might even charge an “early return fee.”

You have to copy and paste or it won't work but here's the link: https://www.budget.com/budgetWeb/html/en/deals/prepaybeatscompetition.html

rated:
There is a difference between returning early by a few hours of a daily rental and a few days on a rental that was based on a weekly rate.

rated:
atikovi said:   This just happened to me. Picked up a Budget car in Indianapolis yesterday at 5pm and dropped it off today in the DC area at 10am. The daily rate before discounts is $68.99 and $51.75 per hour. The total rental was supposed to be $63.01 but I just noticed they charged me almost $110 total. Closer inspection of the dropoff receipt shows they charged me for one day plus one hour. WTF?
That's crazy! I'm curious if the return location was open and you handed the keys to a rental agent or was the location closed and you left the keys in the drop box. Typically, in the latter case they tend to charge you all the way upto the time when the location opens for business and "processes" your return.   

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017