• filter:

Planning to travel Paris!! Please give suggestions.

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
=11.5ptHello to all! I'm George Smith, 27 years old. I recently got married, my wife Emily and I, we are planning our honeymoon trip to Paris but don’t have any idea about best places to see and hotel to stay. I want some good recommendations from the guys who has already been there. Suggest me best, as I want this trip to be perfect and memorable. 

Member Summary
Rick Steves is your Europe Guru -skipping the lines at the Vatican, best gelato in Florence, best way to reach Sacre Coeur - the man is a genius. Get his travel guide to Paris. Download the museum and walking tours podcasts and put them on your phone.
https://www.ricksteves.com/europe/france/paris
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
what kind of things do you like to do? See art? See buildings? Eat food?

rated:
Buy a small travel guide to plan things out. I've been to Europe a dozen times but my interests are probably different than yours.

If you're not familiar with the area and want to avoid wasting time, getting lost or confused, or trouble asking for help due to language issues, I suggest looking at sites like Viator and booking some tours. Many tours will pick you up and dump you off right from your hotel, or at least another convenient location.

One suggestion, if your trip will be at least 10 days is maybe try to visit a second country. Take the Eurostar between Paris and London and arrive at one country and leave from another. Some people just don't care for Paris but like London (or vice versa). Frankly, I prefer London, but that's just me.

rated:
This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

rated:
atikovi said:   This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

No longer true

However, London kills you with departure taxes, etc.

rated:
anubis57 said:   
atikovi said:   This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

No longer true

Even if the rental company allows it, I wouldn't want to be driving a right hand drive car from England on a vacation through the European continent, especially in Paris.

rated:
Get a recent guidebook from your public library. Read it and follow up on the Flyertalk France forum for any specific questions.

rated:
atikovi said:   anubis57 said:   

No longer true

Even if the rental company allows it, I wouldn't want to be driving a right hand drive car from England on a vacation through the European continent, especially in Paris.

Agree. Even driving on the right with a left driver seat car can be difficult. Road signs in assorted languages can really throw you into confusion. GPS might help, but I try to avoid driving.

rated:
I live a few hours from Paris.  Forget renting a car, especially if you plan to be in the city most of the time.  First of all, you'll want to hit the Eiffel Tower, like every other tourist.  That's why you should get a tour guide, who will walk you right up past the lines, which can take hours during peak summer months.  Go see the Louvre.  Notre Dame.  Etc.  

After a few days in Paris, then head west to Versailles, and spend a day at the palace there.  There is a hotel across the street that the royal guests used 300 years ago, and it is not expensive.  There are 3 train lines which take you from Paris to Versailles easily and inexpensively.  If you want to see other parts of France or some other places in Europe, the trains are efficient and for 2 people they aren't expensive.  I highly recommend the Alps, at any time of year.  They make the Rockies look small and gentle.  

If you've never been to Europe, then consider adding another big city to your itinerary.

rated:
atikovi said:   
anubis57 said:   

No longer true

Oh, sorry; that's not what I was suggesting.  The London comment was regarding air fare: hence "departure tax".

rated:
I did Paris for honeymoon 9 years ago. Stayed there for a week. It was one of our greatest good ever and opened my eyes to international travel. We have great memories and pictures that we still look fondly on today.

First, you absolutely do not need a car for Paris or most of France unless you specifically want to see the French countryside. The subway and full system work wonderfully there. I would stay Central in Paris close to the river. If you are on a budget there are several centrally located 2-2.5 star hotels in that area.

Staying Central let's you walk to the main attractions. If you are relatively fit you can walk everywhere and save a lot on transportation. Walking also let's you experience Paris more intimately.

I highly recommend bringing a decent camera. For your honeymoon I think taking home great photos to look back on is worth quite a bit, especially if you are the sentimental type.

PM me for more difficult advice. I would suggest perusing the Paris TripAdvisor forum for specifics as well.

rated:
Paris is famous city. i reccomend to visit Louvre

rated:
Paris is a wonderful city, your wife is incredibly lucky.

rated:
I wish i could visit paris one day.

rated:
Hey,
Planning honeymoon trip to Paris is a great idea. Paris is romantic, cultured and sophisticated city, with so much to see and do. Though I visited Paris with my friends, still enjoyed a lot. I can suggest you few places that you should include in your itinerary:
- The Eiffel Tower
- Parc du Champ de Mars
- Pont Alexandre III to watch the sunset over the Seine
- Paris’ Latin Quarter
- Eglise St-Sulpice
- Montmartre
- Louvre
- Ile de la cite Paris
- Sainte-Chapelle
- The Palace of Versailles
We loved our stay at hotel Saint Petersburg Opera. The room service was really friendly and helpful. Also, the location of the Hotel is great. Some other hotels you can go for are Fraser Suites Le Claridge Champs-Elysées, Regina, and Saint James Albany Paris Hotel Spa.

Enjoy your trip!

rated:
rubentulfo said:   I wish i could visit paris one day.
  You make it one of your priorities, and it will happen.

rated:
I've never seen but I'm going to see it this year! France is my dream country, now I'm planing my vacation and I'm going to visit this amazing country. I found cheap tickets at https://lowcostclub.ca/ to Paris. This will be my first trip to Europe. Want to admire Paris in all its natural beauty from The Eiffel Tower and of course I want to see the Moulin Rouge show live.

rated:
Eat ice-cream everyday
Start each day with a latte and a pain du chocolat at your local Pâtisserie
Don't waste your $ on water and soda; order the house wine. You're not driving anyway.
When given the option, ask to be seated outside.
When you can, try speaking in French - they will appreciate the effort you made, laugh, and give you directions in English. The French are not rude or unkind. They love their country and expect you to respect it as a visitor.
Walk instead of taking the Metro everywhere. It's a walking city. Don't miss what's topside.
Put the camera/phone down. Enjoy each other and your memories.
Stop by a Pâtisserie and buy some baguettes, wine, and cheese. Picnic at Sacre Coeur w/ the city laid out before you. Grab a ride on the bus that stops at SC, it'll take you around Montmartre, so you can decide where to come back in the evening. [Moulin Rouge is typical touristy, but you may spot another hidden gem].
Take a long walk down the Champs Elysees, have a 3 hr lunch and watch the world go by ... [off the Champs Elysee] Go to Laduree and enjoy the original macaroons. Buy her an Hermes bag.
Day-trip to Giverny and walk through one of Monet's paintings into his real Japanese garden. Adorable town   Then go to Musée de l'Orangerie in Paris and see the paintings.
Go back to hang out at Notre Dame at night... it's fun to be.
Elevator up the Eiffel tower ... then walk down. Go back at night to see it in the evening, but come from the Trocadero side to walk over the bridge. Trocadero is an actual metro stop -
Send yourself [and fam&friends] a postcard from the top of the Eiffel Tower. That post office is the only one w/ that Eiffel Tower stamp.
Don't miss the Chagall ceiling at the Opera Garnier - then go to Fragonard and buy her the perfume.
It's typical, but so are honeymooners - book a Bateau Mouche river cruise.

Rabbit warren of restaurants .. fun .. esp. at night
Metro: 4 line .. St. Michel.. [take the St. Sevrin exit)
Fountain on your right .. turn left into Rue de la Huchette or Rue St. Sevrin ..

There also this other little grouping of restaurants ..
Metro: line 4 .. St. Germain
1. Chez Marianne: Marias area .. Middle eastern samplers are awesome!!! good lunch place

2 rue des Hospitalières-St-Gervais
Phone: 01-42-72-18-86
Metro: St. Paul

2. Grand Cafe Capuchines: 4 Blvd des Capuchines
Metro: Opera .. to the left of the opera house (if you stand on the steps of the opera, facing the street)..
really gorgeous stained glass ceiling .. save for a nice lunch or dinner ..

Fragonard .. the famous parfumerie is also here ..
Metro: opera .. 39 Blvd des Capucines .. Tel: +33 (1) 42 60 37 14
or Metro: Madeline ... 9 Rue Scribe ... Tel: +33 (1) 47 42 04 56 .. seems nicer, a converted Napoleon III townhouse
Metro: opera .. Also, the 2 major Dept stores, Le Printemps and Lafayette are here within walking distance .. they're pricey, but a great Paris shopping experience.

3. Really chic .. L'ami Louis .. 32 Rue Vert-Bois
Known for their roast chicken (!) .. how fancy can chicken get?? you'd probably need reservations ..
Tél: 01.48.87.77.48 .. like $75/person

Paris flea market .. Thursdays and Saturdays
Metro: take the 4 headed north .. get off at Clignancourt [last stop].. follow the crowd .. seriously ..
For the antiques: go past the flea market .. in the very last isle, about halfway down on the right is a huge metal door .. go in and voila!

rated:
You can .. every time you travel local, make sure your travel counts  - dump the miles into one program, hotels into another.
Chase Sapphire card is priceless when it comes to travel perks. And you can move those points to whatever flight/hotel program you need to top off.
The miles will get you a ticket .. the hotel points will get you, well, a hotel. Then only food and museum tics come out of pocket.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017