• filter:
  • Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
=11.5ptHello to all! I'm George Smith, 27 years old. I recently got married, my wife Emily and I, we are planning our honeymoon trip to Paris but don’t have any idea about best places to see and hotel to stay. I want some good recommendations from the guys who has already been there. Suggest me best, as I want this trip to be perfect and memorable. 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
what kind of things do you like to do? See art? See buildings? Eat food?

rated:
Buy a small travel guide to plan things out. I've been to Europe a dozen times but my interests are probably different than yours.

If you're not familiar with the area and want to avoid wasting time, getting lost or confused, or trouble asking for help due to language issues, I suggest looking at sites like Viator and booking some tours. Many tours will pick you up and dump you off right from your hotel, or at least another convenient location.

One suggestion, if your trip will be at least 10 days is maybe try to visit a second country. Take the Eurostar between Paris and London and arrive at one country and leave from another. Some people just don't care for Paris but like London (or vice versa). Frankly, I prefer London, but that's just me.

rated:
This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

rated:
atikovi said:   This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

No longer true

However, London kills you with departure taxes, etc.

rated:
anubis57 said:   
atikovi said:   This advice is from 20 years ago, but fly into Germany, like to Frankfurt, and rent your car there. Cheaper than flying to and renting in France.

No longer true

Even if the rental company allows it, I wouldn't want to be driving a right hand drive car from England on a vacation through the European continent, especially in Paris.

rated:
Get a recent guidebook from your public library. Read it and follow up on the Flyertalk France forum for any specific questions.

rated:
atikovi said:   anubis57 said:   

No longer true

Even if the rental company allows it, I wouldn't want to be driving a right hand drive car from England on a vacation through the European continent, especially in Paris.

Agree. Even driving on the right with a left driver seat car can be difficult. Road signs in assorted languages can really throw you into confusion. GPS might help, but I try to avoid driving.

rated:
I live a few hours from Paris.  Forget renting a car, especially if you plan to be in the city most of the time.  First of all, you'll want to hit the Eiffel Tower, like every other tourist.  That's why you should get a tour guide, who will walk you right up past the lines, which can take hours during peak summer months.  Go see the Louvre.  Notre Dame.  Etc.  

After a few days in Paris, then head west to Versailles, and spend a day at the palace there.  There is a hotel across the street that the royal guests used 300 years ago, and it is not expensive.  There are 3 train lines which take you from Paris to Versailles easily and inexpensively.  If you want to see other parts of France or some other places in Europe, the trains are efficient and for 2 people they aren't expensive.  I highly recommend the Alps, at any time of year.  They make the Rockies look small and gentle.  

If you've never been to Europe, then consider adding another big city to your itinerary.

rated:
atikovi said:   
anubis57 said:   

No longer true

Oh, sorry; that's not what I was suggesting.  The London comment was regarding air fare: hence "departure tax".

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017