• filter:

Timeshare Presentations for cheap vacations - Part II

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I'm looking for a timeshare offer or preview opportunity for my anniversary.  We did one for our honeymoon and the hour spent was worth the value provided (US Virgin islands).  I found an earlier thread on this but it appeared archived.  Is anyone aware of any active offers from major providers (Marriott, Hilton, etc) that are available now?  When I did our honeymoon a quick google search turned up the one I ended up using and though I'm seeing a few for FL I'm looking for something a bit nicer and more exotic.  I know current owners used to also get points for referrals who attended so open to that as well....

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
So with hyatt, there is a good chance you end up in Maui. You can sign up on this page for information and get put on a list:

https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/hvcbooking/request-information.jsp

and the same for hilton, but not sure where there standard offer is located

http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/discover/

rated:
Start answering calls from telemarketers. This is mostly what I get when I make the mistake of answering a call from a strange #.

rated:
eBay is offering some. We did one in Orlando for free Disney tickets, which was decent value for the 2 hours we spent. I got that from eBay.

rated:
gremln007 said:   Start answering calls from telemarketers. This is mostly what I get when I make the mistake of answering a call from a strange #.

Have you actually bought a vacation that way?   I would expect this to be a likely to give your information to the wrong person, or at best get ripped off / oversold on the details.  It sounds like you were being sarcastic, but I won't want someone to believe this was legitimate advice.

On that note however, I entered a contest in a mall for an ATV which was sponsored by Bluegreen Resorts or one of those.  They called me several times to let me know "I had won some credit toward a Vacation."  -  I politely asked to be removed.  -  While I can't guarantee the people leasing space to park a large vehicle in the mall is legitimate, I would choose that over, "Some call I received at random."

I was given a decent offer from Wyndham a few years back, but that was for a US location.  While eBay is mostly comprised of 'high priced listings'  there is an occasional deal and a fair amount of people selling discounted travel that requires a time share tour. **  - As exotic places have a tendency to be all-inclusive, all-inclusive listings are common for those.**   I expect there is room for those deals to be beat elsewhere, but some are pretty good IMO.   

** Keep in mind that they are only going to give you so much.   If they believe it's worth "$400-$500" (In perceived 'value') to get you in the door,  then a $500 itinerary suddenly costs $100 and a $900 one is discounted to $400-$500.  Point being: expect sticker shock if your thinking was:  I got a $500 place for $100 last time,  Therefore a $1000 place should be about $200 this time.

rated:
videogamesaremylife said:   
gremln007 said:   Start answering calls from telemarketers. This is mostly what I get when I make the mistake of answering a call from a strange #.

Have you actually bought a vacation that way?   I would expect this to be a likely to give your information to the wrong person, or at best get ripped off / oversold on the details.  It sounds like you were being sarcastic, but I won't want someone to believe this was legitimate advice.

No, I was kidding.  I made the mistake of buying a timeshare when very young.  I'll never touch that again!!

rated:
The best I've ever done was getting $50 to hear an hour presentation at a time share in a town I was already visiting - just stumbled upon it, was offered the $50, and I said, "Sure!" It was actually kind of interesting to hear - but I am pretty immune to these hard-sells, so I was never really tempted, and they never bothered me again or anything. Well worth $50 for an hour when wasn't busy anyway.

I have heard of these vacation offers with timeshares - occasionally some telemarketer will call with one but I have never taken them seriously. Are there really legit offers out there, that will pay all expenses? Do I need a partner? (I'm single.)r

rated:
tante said:   So with hyatt, there is a good chance you end up in Maui. You can sign up on this page for information and get put on a list:

https://www.hyatt.com/hyatt/hvcbooking/request-information.jsp 

and the same for hilton, but not sure where there standard offer is located

http://www.hiltongrandvacations.com/discover/

I got a call from Hilton for Telluride, CO just last week.  I turned them down though (pay $99 now for a 3 night stay any time in the next 2 years with 1 hr. presentation upon arrival).  No skiers in my fam.

rated:
Reminds me of the time I was offered $50 to listen to a DVC speach. I had nothing to do for an hour so toured and listen. In the end I apparently had heard wrong as it was only $15.

rated:
I remember 30 yrs ago, we went to Orlando for a time share. I was with my wife, and our 2 small kids. We stayed at the World Hilton for 5 days, at $50 dollars per day, it was through the timeshare. We went to Disney World at some outrageous price, also through the timeshare. I was nervous then, because I knew the tactics of the timeshare! The timeshare, never showed up! I had a great vacation!

rated:
One time I got a really keen Dice Clock and a clear Acrylic toilet seat with pennies in it for taking in a time share presentation in Las Vegas! 

(JK)

rated:
last time I called hilton hhonors for customer service, they asked if I wanted to stay on for elite member vacation club opportunities.
I did, they had some tempting offers, I passed though.

So try calling your hotel loyalty phone numbers and ask if they have vacation club offers.

rated:
Thought I'd update. I signed up on the provider pages linked in the thread and heard from hilton and mariott. In both instances they wanted me to purchase sight unseen. And the mariott lady got down right nasty with comments like "savvy customers don't need to see" and "I've wasted my time". I honestly don't understand how that is in their best interest to demean people who don't drink their kool-aid.

rated:
Anyone been to a timeshare presentation for The Manhattan Club in NYC? How did you find the deal? I'm planning a trip to NYC and would like to try out one of their 2 night deals while I'm there.

rated:
ahallfatwallett said:   The best I've ever done was getting $50 to hear an hour presentation at a time share in a town I was already visiting - just stumbled upon it, was offered the $50, and I said, "Sure!" It was actually kind of interesting to hear - but I am pretty immune to these hard-sells, so I was never really tempted, and they never bothered me again or anything. Well worth $50 for an hour when wasn't busy anyway.

I have heard of these vacation offers with timeshares - occasionally some telemarketer will call with one but I have never taken them seriously. Are there really legit offers out there, that will pay all expenses? Do I need a partner? (I'm single.)r

Always, always negotiate.  I've gotten better deals than they've offered most times.  For example, $125 cash instead of $75 or 3 tickets instead of 2 to a play or amusement park.  Kindly decline their first offer and just tell them you're on vacation and your time is valuable, then suggest an alternative gift but be prepared to walk.  To get them to stick to their 90 min or 3 hrs presentation, have your kid call or text you or you can set up a fake call using those fake call apps.  Then tell them you have been there more than the promised time and you must go because your kids needs you or whatever and you would like your gift now so you can leave.

rated:
JorrieM said:   Thought I'd update. I signed up on the provider pages linked in the thread and heard from hilton and mariott. In both instances they wanted me to purchase sight unseen. And the mariott lady got down right nasty with comments like "savvy customers don't need to see" and "I've wasted my time". I honestly don't understand how that is in their best interest to demean people who don't drink their kool-aid.

They burn through sales people worse than used car dealers.  Majority of the sales people simply don't care or don't have to care.  And some people DO respond to being insulted, apparently. 

rated:
i like to travel in summer

rated:
shallot said:   Anyone been to a timeshare presentation for The Manhattan Club in NYC? How did you find the deal? I'm planning a trip to NYC and would like to try out one of their 2 night deals while I'm there.
  No but I stayed there once.  Great location, and a super nice place.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017