• filter:

Hawaii Peak Season?!?!

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I know it's peak season, but I've already committed to it with the family (between kid in college, other kid going to high school, etc)..

Details on me: 
Veteran, Costco Member, willing to sign up for AAA, Gold Hilton, Amex Platinum (travel perks)

Family of 5
Wife, 3 kids (18, 14, 8) at time of trip

Trip details
Oahu island (want to visit Pearl Harbor) as beach front as possible
Out of LAX area 
End of July (looking at 7/17 and about 7 days)
Don't know if I need a car the whole trip or not (Emerald from National)

I've looked at Travelocity, Orbitz (seems to be identical to Travelocity) and Costco

I did some searching on the site (longtime stalker) but didn't see anything too recent on Hawaii other than DON'T GO PEAK SEASON!! 

I would like to be around 1500 pp including air and hotel (prob not car) but my reason for checking here is to see if I can get a better pp then that! 

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Don't want to repeat what was said, but if you want to save a buck, don't go during peak season. I know it is harder said than done with kids your age though. Your best bet is probably to get a condo further inland. You will not be able to get anything close to beach on a low budget, especially when you need 2 rooms with 5 people. Costco is usually a great resource in getting a rental and possibly a decent deal on a hotel when it comes packaged with a car.

rated:
Peak season is not a good idea on a budget. Too many people and they seem to jack up the prices everywhere.

rated:
If flying out of Southern California, my recommendation would be for you and your wife to take out Alaska Airlines credit cards to earn companion passes. This will result in $121 RT airfares for 2 of the kids, free checked baggage for everyone. The downside is that it will be necessary to fly out of SAN, as AS does not fly nonstop to HNL from LAX. Meeting the $1k spend on the cards will each earn 30k miles, plus miles on the paid tickets may be used for your next trip to Hawaii, other AS destinations, or if you are lucky, pay for the 5th ticket on this trip.

Check websites like VRBO and AirBnb for rental of a condo or small home rather than a hotel. Kitchen will come in Handy to help stretch your food budget.

rated:
an alternative to alaska airlines would be to consider British Airways rewards program. If you have AMEX platinum, MR points convert over, so do Chase UR. LAX-HNL is one of the best uses of BA avios on American airlines planes.
for a family of 5 with 3 teenagers, I would also strongly consider VRBO/AirBNB, and would avoid hotels like the plague.

rated:
imbatman said:   an alternative to alaska airlines would be to consider British Airways rewards program. If you have AMEX platinum, MR points convert over, so do Chase UR. LAX-HNL is one of the best uses of BA avios on American airlines planes.
for a family of 5 with 3 teenagers, I would also strongly consider VRBO /AirBNB, and would avoid hotels like the plague.

We routinely try convert Chase URs for award seats on Alaska to Hawaii, as it is by far the best redemption value; finding 5 seats to / from HNL in the middle of the summer, 4 months out is wishful thinking. I just ran a query on Expert Flyer, checking W award inventory on Alaska (fare bucket for Avios redemption) - departing on July 17, returning July 24, checking 3 days before and after days of travel. There are currently NO W award seats on Alaska available from SAN-HNL July 14 - July 20, 3 currently available for the return on July 22, 4 on July 26. If the OP is going to have to buy tickets in one direction, the companion passes are good for round trips, so there is little reason to burn the Avios.

From my experience, best results are either 300+ days out, or last minute (less than 14 days out). It has also been my experience that Alaska W award seats are not always available for booking with Avios, particularly during high season. When attempting to do so, it is always best to verify availability online before calling BA - Alaska awards cannot be booked with Avios online.

So as suggested above, for a family of 5 that is committed to going in the middle of July, 4 months out, purchasing seats on Alaska with 2 companion passes is by far the most cost effective option.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017