• filter:

Stranded by multiple cancelled flights - do I have recourse?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
We flew into JFK airport two days ago for our connecting flight to Chicago. The flight to Chicago was delayed long enough that the crew timed out and they could not get a replacement crew. So that flight was cancelled and we had rebook and the next available flight was out of LaGuardia to St. Louis the next the next day. Took a taxi to a hotel near LaGuardia and the next day there was some rain in the morning that delayed some flights. Our evening flight out of LaGuardia was cancelled again and they blamed the weather but at the time of our evening flight the rain at LaGuardia had long passed and the weather was clear at both LaGuardia and St. Louis. The weather excuse was bogus at this point as it was then a scheduling issue. So we had to rebook again and the next available flight was the following day out of Newark, New Jersey. So after a 3 hour ride to Newark we have to get another hotel room. Now there is bad weather in our destination city and we fear we are going to be spending the night in Denver(our connecting city) again. Do we have any recourse? If we get delayed again this will be a three day delay. We are already $600 in extra expenses.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
What airline?

rated:
Yes, you talk to the airline desk to get all the big cash and vouchers for hotels.

rated:
forbin4040 said:   Yes, you talk to the airline desk to get all the big cash and vouchers for hotels.
  no vouchers if they 'say' it is weather related (a common bs excuse to get out of paying anything).

rated:
sloppy1 said:   
forbin4040 said:   Yes, you talk to the airline desk to get all the big cash and vouchers for hotels.
  no vouchers if they 'say' it is weather related (a common bs excuse to get out of paying anything).

OP didn't mention the first flight was delayed by weather....so I was posting on that.

rated:
3 hour taxi ride from LGA to EWR?  Anyway, I fly quite a bit for business and in my experience although the weather may seem beautiful and sunny at the origin and destination cities, there could be storm brewing in between the two airports that causes the FAA to delay the flights.  The airlines cannot make that excuse up because it's document and they can be heavily fined for mis-information.  Case in point, two weeks ago, I was flying from Chicago to LaGuardia and weather seem nice in Chicago and NY but the flights to East coast airports were delayed because a storm was forming over Lake Erie and FAA could only keep the East to West corridor open between East coast and the midwest.  Our flight left Chicago three hours late and flew south to TN then headed north over the Carolinas, DC, Philly and into NY so we avoided the entire states of PA and OH.  The airline really needed to get that the plane repositioned in NY that night for next morning's flight so they decided on extra flying time/fuel for this flight. 

You can G00gle "FAA Weather Delays" whenever you see that your flight was delayed by the weather and you can see if that's in fact true or not?

rated:
Problem with cheapo airlines is they only have one aircraft moving about the country. If there's a mechanical problem or weather issue earlier, it will affect down the line and you're screwed.

rated:
kcurtit said:   Do we have any recourse? 
In my experience, once you've left the airport, no.  The time to negotiate for hotel rooms, meal vouchers and taxi vouchers was when you were standing in line for the gate agent or at the airline's airport customer service counter.  That is the only time you have any leverage at all.  It also helps to have a screaming kid or pregnant wife or elderly person as a traveling companion.  

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017