• filter:

REQUEST US Cell phone use when in India

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
Hello all,
I have Verizon phone and using Pixel. I'm travelling to India. What is the best thing to do if I have to make and take US Calls? 
Should I get a new T-Mobile plan? Or is there any other good alternative where I can send/receive texts, calls etc using a US number?

Thanks.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
Project Fi
T-Mobile

Google Voice + Google Hangouts + Google Dialer
Skype and other VoIP services

rated:
Sprint has low speed data roaming and wifi calling for free
high speed data is $5 per day

rated:
If your Pixel is SIM-unlocked then you just buy India network SIM.

rated:
mazda3 said:   If your Pixel is SIM-unlocked then you just buy India network SIM.
  will VZW do that for free for  a  post paid customer ?

rated:
Buy a prepaid SIM card from Aircell in India. That should cost you less than $1.

Dial US and Canada using the prefix 54444. That is, you dial 54444-001-area code-number, where 00 is the international access code and 1 is the country code for the US.

You will be charged 1 India cent (paisa) per second, which is approximately 1 US cent per minute.

It is the cheapest plan you can find for calling US numbers from India.

In India, you are not charged for receiving phone calls, unlike the US where only the first minute of incoming call is free.  So whoever calls you will be paying to make the call -- and they can find an inexpensive calling plan from their carrier or buy a SIM card from someone like Lycra -- and you will pay nothing to receive calls.

rated:
mazda3 said:   If your Pixel is SIM-unlocked then you just buy India network SIM.

That involves major bureaucracy.  When I bought a SIM, a needed copies of passport, visa, a copy of DL, a copy of utility bill in US, a passport photo, and an Indian reference (in the state where I bought the SIM, no less) who vouched for me and claimed I stayed with him, so he could attest to my character!    Even most Indians living abroad that I know had difficulty procuring a SIM unless their family members get it for them.

The Indian government was going to make it easier for foreigners to get a SIM, and there is/was supposed to be a new program called "SIM on arrival".

rated:
When we travel to India, we forward our cells to our Vonage landline and then to a local SIM/number. Incoming calls in India on local SIM are free. This way there are no costs involved for folks calling from US. Calling to US is not very expensive nowadays - approx 1-2c/min. Major issue is with texts - haven't found a cheap/easy way to send/receive texts. i.e. without porting/getting new no. via GV etc. Would love to know if there are easy ways.

That said, all Verizon phones are SIM-unlocked ever since the spectrum auctions many years ago. Also, since LTE is GSM based, All Verizon LTE phones are CDMA/GSM and hence more universal (specific bands may not be available though). Some recent VZ phones have had some bands disabled (can often be enabled by other means) but SIM is not locked.

BTW, nice screen name!

rated:
Turn on Voice over WiFi. Then connect to local WiFi. You will be able to receive and make calls.

rated:
rsuaver said:   Turn on Voice over WiFi. Then connect to local WiFi. You will be able to receive and make calls.

OT but do most phones do Voice over WiFi?
if not what's the cheapest Voice over WiFi phone for VZW?

rated:
My Galaxy S5 has this feature...maybe older phones do.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017