• filter:

Last minute international travel tips?

• Page :
  • Text Only
  • Search this Topic »
Voting History
rated:
I will have free data and text in all of the countries (Japan, HK, and other) through my plan at Tmobile. I can call for free through WiFi if needed

I have Capital One Quicksilver Mastercard CC which will be my main as it has no foreign transaction few

Any cash will be taken out using a no ATM and no foreign transaction fee cash account

I will always choose to do any transaction in local currency and allow Mastercard/Visa to do the FX conversion

I unfortunately prepaid for check-in luggage on several legs of the flight but I recently decided to not check in luggage. I called and none of the airlines will refund this. I don't want to risk getting luggage lost.

Member Summary
Staff Summary
Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

rated:
don't forget your passport . And that it has enough validity

rated:
Either pack an empty bag and check it anyway or bring an extra bag folded up in a carry-on in case you want to bring things home that won't fit into your carry-on.

Doing this will also let you bring home any liquids that are over 3 oz Like Liquor

rated:
Get a couple of power adapters and confirm that your device or adapter will handle different voltage. I've never been to Asia, so not sure what they use there. I've got one fancy 'universal' adapter plus a bunch of small cheap single-type ones.

rated:
Sounds like it's a first international trip? Rather than just a last minute one.

If so one piece of advice I learned the hard way. If you have a US connection and you're coming from an airport without us customs preclearance, know that you will have to go back through tsa security. If you buy duty free it needs to be in a tsa approved, clear plastic tamper evident bag, the ones I saw had a red top. Otherwise any liquid needs to be under the 3 Oz. Lost come Cuban rum to that.

rated:
Is the travel last-minute or just the request for tips? Sounds like you have it covered, enjoy your trip.

As for your luggage, check a bag if you already paid for it. Just be sure to also carry on a small bag with essentials if you're really worried about it. Vital prescriptions, maybe a clean shirt and some underwear, etc.

rated:
What do people think about registering your trip with the step program for alerts and stuff?

rated:
TravelerMSY said:   Is the travel last-minute or just the request for tips? Sounds like you have it covered, enjoy your trip.

As for your luggage, check a bag if you already paid for it. Just be sure to also carry on a small bag with essentials if you're really worried about it. Vital prescriptions, maybe a clean shirt and some underwear, etc.

I am flying out soon so that's what I meant by last minute. Looking for tips.

I'm not sure whether I want to check a bag since I don't want to deal with the headache if it gets lost and the wait after each arrival. I'm willing to just eat the prepayment cost.

rated:
Travel insurance? use insuremytrip.com then pick the best for you...

rated:
Make sure you are carrying your passport and bank cards.

• Quick Reply:  Have something quick to contribute? Just reply below and you're done! hide Quick Reply

Click here for full-featured reply.

Disclaimer: By providing links to other sites, FatWallet.com does not guarantee, approve or endorse the information or products available at these sites, nor does a link indicate any association with or endorsement by the linked site to FatWallet.com.

Thanks for visiting FatWallet.com. Join for free to remove this ad.

While FatWallet makes every effort to post correct information, offers are subject to change without notice.
Some exclusions may apply based upon merchant policies.
© 1999-2017